Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > XP not detecting Linksys Wireless USB Adaptor Properly

XP not detecting Linksys Wireless USB Adaptor Properly

ryanradford@gmail.com

Lead-Up to Problem: Several months ago, I purchased a "Linksys
Wireless G PCI Card with SpeedBooster" (model WMP54GS) for my Windows
XP machine running an AMD Athlon XP 2400 and 1 GB RAM. The card
installed nicely, however based on the location of the antenna (up
against a corner with tons of wires running around it), I couldn't
get anything better than a "LOW" connection in the basement suite where
I live. So I went out and bought the "Linksys Wireless G USB
Network Adapter with SpeedBooster" (Model WUSB54GS) in hopes that I
could get a better connection. So I uninstalled all the software
associated with the PCI card, and took it out of the computer. Then I
did a fresh reboot and installed the USB Adapter. The problem was that
every time I plugged it in it would recognize it as an unknown device
TWICE. After some fiddling around, I still couldn't get it to detect
properly although occasionally I could get an internet connection (when
the adapter was detected properly). After uninstalling it and
reinstalling it several times, this is where I'm at now:

When I reboot the computer, everything loads up fine except, I get a
message in my taskbar stating "No Available Wireless Networks in
Range." The problem is not actually that there's no signal in
range, it's that the computer won't detect the USB Wireless
Adaptor. The ONLY way I have managed to work around this is to:
1) Wait for Windows XP to fully load up
2) Unplug the USN Wireless Adaptor (from the adaptor itself) - I then
get the little chime indicating a USB device has been disconnected
3) Wait for several seconds
4) Re plug-in the USB Detector.

After doing this, the computer "finds" the USB Wireless Adaptor and
then detects and connects to the available wireless network.

This is the ONLY way I can ever get any kind of internet access.
Another thing which I'm sure is related is that once I'm up and
running, if I go to my Device Manager, under USB Controllers I have:
- USB Composite Device on USB 2.0 Bus (Device Type: Universal Serial
Bus controllers, Manufacturer: OWC, Location: Linksys Wireless-G USB
Network Adapter with SpeedBooster, and Status: This Device is Working
Properly ). This is obviously the adaptor that I have to unplus and
re-plug in each time.

But under "Other Devices" I have:
- Device on USB 2.0 Hub (the Device Type, Manufacturer, and Location
are all IDENTICAL to the above device, however the status says: This
device is not configured correctly. (Code 1) . To reinstall the drivers
for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

So it appears that the computer is detecting the same adaptor TWICE.
If I uninstall the "Other Device: Device on USB 2.0 Hub" it just
redeteccts itself each time.

So what do I need to do so that I can just turn on the computer and
have the wireless adaptor and network detected automatically (which it
SHOULD be doing anyway).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've contacted Linksys and
didn't really get anywhere.

Thanks,

Ryan
ryanradford @ gmail.com

theodore

we had the same problem this morning with a netgear card in a toshiba
laptop.;
to fix it, we turned off the netgear wifi thing next to the clock by right
clicking it and then
hitting exit. It went away.

then we found the windows thing by right clicking on the windows wifi icon
down
by the clock

one of the things in there was to use windows to run wifi, we clicked on the
box that autherizes that, and then the ok button, and then it whizzed and
clicked and then it stopped, and it worked.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> [...]
> Network Adapter with SpeedBooster, and Status: This Device is Working
> Properly ). This is obviously the adaptor that I have to unplus and
> re-plug in each time.
>
> But under "Other Devices" I have:
> - Device on USB 2.0 Hub (the Device Type, Manufacturer, and Location
> are all IDENTICAL to the above device, however the status says: This
> device is not configured correctly. (Code 1) . To reinstall the drivers
> for this device, click Reinstall Driver.
>
> So it appears that the computer is detecting the same adaptor TWICE.
> If I uninstall the "Other Device: Device on USB 2.0 Hub" it just
> redeteccts itself each time.
>
> So what do I need to do so that I can just turn on the computer and
> have the wireless adaptor and network detected automatically (which it
> SHOULD be doing anyway).
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've contacted Linksys and

David T

http://www.linksysfix.com/check/HomePage/index.htm

go to this link when you have the system up and "running" and run the
Netcheck program..first...to check your system..
The second program "Netset" is a setup program to install drivers on your
system..seems that sometimes the installtion disk does not work correctly..
I too had problems setting up the same adapter on my system and called tech
support...ran the netset and all worked fine..
Food for thought...