Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Greater memory hog: Open Office or MS Office 2003?

Greater memory hog: Open Office or MS Office 2003?

Muze Gruppes

I've reinstalled windows (sigh) and am keeping the number of
programs/apps as minimal as possible. And in the spirit of this I'm torn
between reinstalling MS Office 2003 or Open Office. Does anyone know
which has a lighter footprint (is that the right term?) Help is
appreciated.

why?

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:32:19 -0500, Muze Gruppes wrote:

>I've reinstalled windows (sigh) and am keeping the number of
>programs/apps as minimal as possible. And in the spirit of this I'm torn
>between reinstalling MS Office 2003 or Open Office. Does anyone know
>which has a lighter footprint (is that the right term?) Help is
>appreciated.

Do you mean running Word / Excel and Writer / Draw / Base open 1 at a
time or several? The more open apps at once the more RAM does help.

You didn't say how much RAM you have.

Depends on document size, what you do with linking , embedding files and
so on.

OOo, system requirements
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/s...s_reqs_20.html

Office 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822129
128MB + 8 for each open Office app.

Open blank -
Word 2003 , 39MB
Writer soffice.bin and soffoce.exe 43MB

then

Visio 2003 + 16MB
Draw , soffice.bin and soffice.exe 54MB

Word / Visio 39 + 16 = 55MB
OOo = 54MB

Me

wisdomkiller & pain

Muze Gruppes wrote:

> I've reinstalled windows (sigh) and am keeping the number of
> programs/apps as minimal as possible. And in the spirit of this I'm torn
> between reinstalling MS Office 2003 or Open Office. Does anyone know
> which has a lighter footprint (is that the right term?) Help is
> appreciated.

Probably MSOffice has less footprint, because ... just like IE, some of it's
common components are used by other parts of the OS as well, and will be
preloaded.
However, MSoffice as well as OOffice both have a preloader, which, with
enough RAM provided, will let them start rather quick, at least the 2nd
time.