Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Does this page work in your Firefox?

Does this page work in your Firefox?

Mika

"J.O. Aho" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mika wrote:
>> Hi all, if you could kindly test this W3C validated page specifically in
>> Firefox only and advise if you see the streetscape appear. (Designed for
>> broadband):
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr

> Seems to work in SeaMonkey if JS turned on, but then the page wants to be
> on
> top when opening things like preferences or editing bookmarks.
>
> Scrolling how the JS generated part of the page has trouble to follow with
> the
> rest of the page, I guess my old 2GHz CPU starts to be too slow to surf
> the
> net, while gaming it's quite good suited for.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sherman Pendley

"Mika" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> "Andy Dingley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 09:21:13 GMT, "Mika" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr

>> Possibly the nastiest page in many a long day.

> Thanks. That explains all the great reviews posted on our home page. We
> appreciate it isn't how you would do it, but it is at least unique and
> inventive.

Speaking as a customer, I'm not looking for "unique and inventive" web
design when I'm doing my online shopping. I'm a web geek, and I'm not
against such things in general. I enjoy many entertainment, music, comics
and "concept" sites that are loaded with stuff like that - indeed, being
entertained by a unique and inventive design is sometimes the point of an
entire site.

But the point of a shopping site is different. A shopping site should be
concerned with making it as easy as possible for the customer to find what
they want and spend their money. The goal of *your* shopping site appears
to be just the opposite, to make it as difficult as possible.

So tell me - as a customer, what motivation do I have to enable VirusScript,
wait for minutes for each of your pages to load, and turn off my preferred
music, just for the privilege of shopping at your site? Why shouldn't I just
go to Amazon.com instead, which loads quickly, works without VirusScript,
and remains blissfully silent?

sherm--

--
WV News, Blogging, and Discussion: http://wv-www.com

Dave Kelly

On Nov 24, 3:21 am, "Mika" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all, if you could kindly test this W3C validated page specifically in
> Firefox only and advise if you see the streetscape appear. (Designed for
> broadband):
>
> http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr
>
> Thanks,
> Mika

Yes I see it.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 24 Nov 2007 18:23:05
GMT Sherman Pendley scribed:

> So tell me - as a customer, what motivation do I have to enable
> VirusScript, wait for minutes for each of your pages to load, and turn
> off my preferred music, just for the privilege of shopping at your
> site? Why shouldn't I just go to Amazon.com instead, which loads
> quickly, works without VirusScript, and remains blissfully silent?

Good point - regardless of any connotations to the OP's site. This past
year, I've spent over $1,000.00 at amazon.com, and except for one special
company-owned-and-operated site, I've done no other online purchasing. I
like amazon.com because it functions correctly and facilely, it's fast, and
it's decently efficient. When I wish to buy something, the last thing I
want to do is ditz around.

--
Bone Ur
Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

Mika

"Sherman Pendley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Mika" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> "Andy Dingley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Possibly the nastiest page in many a long day.

>> Thanks. That explains all the great reviews posted on our home page. We
>> appreciate it isn't how you would do it, but it is at least unique and
>> inventive.

> Speaking as a customer, I'm not looking for "unique and inventive" web
> design when I'm doing my online shopping. I'm a web geek, and I'm not
> against such things in general. I enjoy many entertainment, music, comics
> and "concept" sites that are loaded with stuff like that - indeed, being
> entertained by a unique and inventive design is sometimes the point of an
> entire site.
>
> But the point of a shopping site is different. A shopping site should be
> concerned with making it as easy as possible for the customer to find what
> they want and spend their money. The goal of *your* shopping site appears
> to be just the opposite, to make it as difficult as possible.
>
> So tell me - as a customer, what motivation do I have to enable
> VirusScript,
> wait for minutes for each of your pages to load, and turn off my preferred
> music, just for the privilege of shopping at your site? Why shouldn't I
> just
> go to Amazon.com instead, which loads quickly, works without VirusScript,
> and remains blissfully silent?

To answer your question:

Don't you find search engines rather clinical? All that text doesn't
exactly stimulate the senses. We believe Internet shopping should be a rich
user experience, and that is what we deliver -- the sights & sounds of real
world shopping, minus the hassle.

Trawling the search engines you'll eventually find many retailers don't have
an online store -- just a catalogue, or nothing at all. But when you click
their door on the Superhighstreet, you're virtually always taken to an
online outlet that does allow home delivery of the same products. We've
done the painstaking research for you, to take you straight to identical
brands & products available online. No more trawling the web then.

Many people prefer that real street experience. There are streets we know
and love, and we know where their favourite shops are and how they look.
With us you can still go there, without the heavy bags & traffic jams of
course.

Better still, there are millions of people who may never get the chance to
stroll down the famous streets we feature. Now they can scroll down them
almost instantly, travelling 100s of miles in seconds.

(And if you can't see the big speaker button to turn the sound off that's
right above the streetscape, maybe you need to visit the opticians on Oxford
Street )

Mika

"Dave Kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Nov 24, 3:21 am, "Mika" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi all, if you could kindly test this W3C validated page specifically in
>> Firefox only and advise if you see the streetscape appear. (Designed for
>> broadband):
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mika

> Yes I see it.

Great many thanks Dave. What country are you in? How fast did it load?

Mika

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2007-11-25, Mika wrote:
> "Sherman Pendley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Mika" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> "Andy Dingley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Thanks. That explains all the great reviews posted on our home page. We
>>> appreciate it isn't how you would do it, but it is at least unique and
>>> inventive.

>> Speaking as a customer, I'm not looking for "unique and inventive" web
>> design when I'm doing my online shopping. I'm a web geek, and I'm not
>> against such things in general. I enjoy many entertainment, music, comics
>> and "concept" sites that are loaded with stuff like that - indeed, being
>> entertained by a unique and inventive design is sometimes the point of an
>> entire site.
>>
>> But the point of a shopping site is different. A shopping site should be
>> concerned with making it as easy as possible for the customer to find what
>> they want and spend their money. The goal of *your* shopping site appears
>> to be just the opposite, to make it as difficult as possible.
>>
>> So tell me - as a customer, what motivation do I have to enable
>> VirusScript,
>> wait for minutes for each of your pages to load, and turn off my preferred
>> music, just for the privilege of shopping at your site? Why shouldn't I
>> just
>> go to Amazon.com instead, which loads quickly, works without VirusScript,
>> and remains blissfully silent?

> To answer your question:
>
> Don't you find search engines rather clinical?

No.

> All that text doesn't exactly stimulate the senses.

Why would I expect (or want) sensual stimulation from a search
engine?

> We believe Internet shopping should be a rich user experience, and
> that is what we deliver -- the sights & sounds of real world
> shopping, minus the hassle.

Luckily, I didn't hear any sound on your site; if I had, the URL would
very quickly be redirected to 0.0.0.0.

> (And if you can't see the big speaker button to turn the sound off that's
> right above the streetscape, maybe you need to visit the opticians on Oxford
> Street )

There is no speaker button ... oh, it's in the flash ... [turn on
flash] ... That's big? You must be using a very low resolution
screen!

Author:

Sherman Pendley

"Mika" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> "Sherman Pendley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Speaking as a customer, I'm not looking for "unique and inventive" web
>> design when I'm doing my online shopping. I'm a web geek, and I'm not
>> against such things in general. I enjoy many entertainment, music, comics
>> and "concept" sites that are loaded with stuff like that - indeed, being
>> entertained by a unique and inventive design is sometimes the point of an
>> entire site.
>>
>> But the point of a shopping site is different. A shopping site should be
>> concerned with making it as easy as possible for the customer to find what
>> they want and spend their money. The goal of *your* shopping site appears
>> to be just the opposite, to make it as difficult as possible.
>>
>> So tell me - as a customer, what motivation do I have to enable
>> VirusScript,
>> wait for minutes for each of your pages to load, and turn off my preferred
>> music, just for the privilege of shopping at your site? Why shouldn't I
>> just
>> go to Amazon.com instead, which loads quickly, works without VirusScript,
>> and remains blissfully silent?

> To answer your question:
>
> Don't you find search engines rather clinical? All that text doesn't
> exactly stimulate the senses.

I don't expect a search engine to "stimulate the senses" - I expect it to
quickly return accessible and relevant results. IMHO, Google is a success
because of its clean interface, not in spite of it.

> We believe Internet shopping should be a rich
> user experience, and that is what we deliver -- the sights & sounds of real
> world shopping, minus the hassle.

But I don't *want* the sights and sounds of real-world shopping. That's why
I'm shopping on the internet to begin with.

Besides which, your site may not have the same hassle as real-world shopping
(no crowds, for one thing) but it's definitely not hassle-free. I have to
enable VirusScript, I have to wait for far too long, I have to figure out how
to turn off the noise it makes, etc.

Your stores may well have goods and services that make it a worthwhile trade-
off. The problem is, I have to make that trade blindly; I have to fulfill all
of your requirements before I can even look at the stores to see if what they
have is worth doing so.

> Many people prefer that real street experience. There are streets we know
> and love, and we know where their favourite shops are and how they look.
> With us you can still go there, without the heavy bags & traffic jams of
> course.
>
> Better still, there are millions of people who may never get the chance to
> stroll down the famous streets we feature. Now they can scroll down them
> almost instantly, travelling 100s of miles in seconds.

That reads like an "information superhighway" marketing spiel from the mid
90s, back when web developers still thought that online shoppers were as
enamored with bells and whistles as the developers themselves were.

The bottom line for me is this: I've seen many friends and relatives hit
the "back" button because a shopping site was too slow to load, it made
noise, it didn't work with their preferred browser settings, etc. I've yet
to see *anyone* leave such a site because it loaded too quickly, was too
easy to use, or didn't play any background music.

sherm--

--
WV News, Blogging, and Discussion: http://wv-www.com

Mika

"Chris F.A. Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> (And if you can't see the big speaker button to turn the sound off that's
>> right above the streetscape, maybe you need to visit the opticians on
>> Oxford
>> Street )

> There is no speaker button ... oh, it's in the flash ... [turn on
> flash] ... That's big? You must be using a very low resolution
> screen!

Wow you guys love to be picky don't you. It's actually quite amusing!
Might come here more just for the sheer entertainment at watching you all at
play.

If you can't see the flash button because you have flash turned off then you
don't need to see the button as you won't hear the sound anyway. Geesh!

We get that you don't like our site. You can't please all the people all
time, so live and let live. Over and out.

Mika

Mika

"Sherman Pendley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Don't you find search engines rather clinical? All that text doesn't
>> exactly stimulate the senses.

> I don't expect a search engine to "stimulate the senses" - I expect it to
> quickly return accessible and relevant results. IMHO, Google is a success
> because of its clean interface, not in spite of it.

I did not say that Google is not a success or that we are a search engine,
however MANY people PREFER going shopping on REAL streets, compared to using
Google or Amazon.

That is the market niche we are approaching.

If you have not been able to digest and understand that concept by now and
say something remotely accepting of the principle, then we are sorry you
never will.

>> We believe Internet shopping should be a rich
>> user experience, and that is what we deliver -- the sights & sounds of
>> real
>> world shopping, minus the hassle.

> But I don't *want* the sights and sounds of real-world shopping. That's
> why
> I'm shopping on the internet to begin with.

And you are an individual who many disagree with. It is not aimed at you,
someone who likes Internet shopping. It is aimed at those who DON'T, and
who love real streets because of what they see, and what they HEAR. Your
advice is, make it simpler, turn the sound off.

You have missed the point quite outstandingly.

> Besides which, your site may not have the same hassle as real-world
> shopping
> (no crowds, for one thing) but it's definitely not hassle-free. I have to
> enable VirusScript, I have to wait for far too long, I have to figure out
> how
> to turn off the noise it makes, etc.

I think we can safely say that this site is not aimed at the sort of people
who generally spent their time arguing in web coding newsgroups, or who even
know how to disable JS.

JS never hurt anyone with a decent virus checker, unless they tend to
frequent undesirable websites I guess.

> Your stores may well have goods and services that make it a worthwhile
> trade-
> off.

Thank you! At last a semi-positive comment. Uh-oh now I've said that
you'll want to take it back or correct me!

> The problem is, I have to make that trade blindly; I have to fulfill all
> of your requirements before I can even look at the stores to see if what
> they
> have is worth doing so.

Trust me you don't have to, just move along and try Google. That's what
you're happy with which is fair enough.

> The bottom line for me is this: I've seen many friends and relatives hit
> the "back" button because a shopping site was too slow to load, it made
> noise, it didn't work with their preferred browser settings, etc. I've yet
> to see *anyone* leave such a site because it loaded too quickly, was too
> easy to use, or didn't play any background music.

Our repeat visitor hit count would disagree with you. Some people even just
use our site to see where a shop they want to visit is on a street, before
they visit the street itself. But if they're with us and make an unexpected
purchase which some do, then that's great too.

I think you guys could benefit a lot from loosening up, learning that not
everyone thinks like a programmer, that everyone is different, to live and
let live, and realise how good it feels to say something nice to someone,
even if you don't share their beliefs.

The frankly incredibly offensive behaviour we have witnessed here is enough
to make us stay away for life. Any good advice given by *some* of you was
completely undone by the disgusting manner in which you speak.

As for the others, thanks again for the constructive feedback. The site is
now better for it.

Over and out.