Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Transfer Windows XP from EIDE to SATA. Is it possible?

Transfer Windows XP from EIDE to SATA. Is it possible?

StuLogan

I have setup my WindowsXP on an EIDE hardrive which I want to replace. Can I
(within Windows) transfer my c: drive to a partition on my new SATA drive,
and have the system boot from the SATA after I remove the EIDE?

Please describe the steps, or if there is a link to the process, please post
it for me.

Thanks

sh0rtbus56@gmail.com

On Nov 23, 9:46 pm, "StuLogan" <logansrun@2009gmailcom> wrote:
> I have setup my WindowsXP on an EIDE hardrive which I want to replace. Can I
> (within Windows) transfer my c: drive to a partition on my new SATA drive,
> and have the system boot from the SATA after I remove the EIDE?
>
> Please describe the steps, or if there is a link to the process, please post
> it for me.
>
> Thanks

I think you might have to just reinstall windows on the SATA. I have
never heard of transferring windows around, though I don't claim to be
an expert

wisdomkiller & pain

StuLogan wrote:

> I have setup my WindowsXP on an EIDE hardrive which I want to replace. Can
> I (within Windows) transfer my c: drive to a partition on my new SATA
> drive, and have the system boot from the SATA after I remove the EIDE?
>
> Please describe the steps, or if there is a link to the process, please
> post it for me.

From my experience, you can do this (might require re-activation though):
Add the necessary drivers for your sata chip
clear the "mountedDevices" for your harddrive in the registry
clone (ghost from a bootfloppy or whatever)
reboot to bios setup
turn off ahci or native sata mode (performance loss is negelectable)
change boot order to sata-first
pray

Ken

"StuLogan" <logansrun@2009gmailcom> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have setup my WindowsXP on an EIDE hardrive which I want to replace. Can
>I (within Windows) transfer my c: drive to a partition on my new SATA
>drive, and have the system boot from the SATA after I remove the EIDE?
>
> Please describe the steps, or if there is a link to the process, please
> post it for me.
>
> Thanks

I used the freeware version of XXCLONE to do exactly what you're asking.
www.xxclone.com

Plato

StuLogan wrote:

> I have setup my WindowsXP on an EIDE hardrive which I want to replace. Can I
> (within Windows) transfer my c: drive to a partition on my new SATA drive,
> and have the system boot from the SATA after I remove the EIDE?

One can try:

http://www.xxclone.com/

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

ATA, UDMA EIDE - I dont get it. MajBach1 Computer Support 6 03-05-2005 11:46 AM
sata & eide dakine Computer Support 2 01-20-2005 06:15 AM
EIDE vs. Serial ATA drives rfdjr1@optonline.net Computer Support 5 01-23-2004 04:18 AM
Hard Drives......IDE and EIDE Chuck S Computer Support 2 10-16-2003 06:01 PM
EIDE vs IDE Joe Pflanz Computer Support 4 07-21-2003 06:46 PM

Advertisments