Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Word 97 and Open Office - and editing video files

Word 97 and Open Office - and editing video files

Christopher Jahn

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:LtZ1j.47269$(E-Mail Removed):

> Christopher Jahn wrote:
>
>> The "box" you are describing is only to show your formatting
>> area; click "preview" and you'll see that there is no box.

> No, in this case it is not. See my other post. The generated
> HTML has a bottom border on all paragraphs.

That's a line, not a box. While you can use several lines to
create a box, a single line does not a box make.

When you compose in OpenOffice, your printable area is always
defined by a box. Regardless of the html document's line, the box
he's talking about isn't seen in the final product of OO.

> Once the OP posted a file, it was easy to see the cause.

It's easy to see the line dictated by the html, yes. And when
you open it in OO, you don't see the line, but you always see the
composition box.

>> Once you get used to it [OO.o], you'll realize what a boon it
>> is over Word.

> True enough. The price is right as well.
>
>> I would never create an HTML file in OO. I use Nvu for
>> creating webpages.

> Neither would I (use OO). Did you know that development of
> NVu has stopped, but the fork known as Kompozer soldiers on?
> http://kompozer.net/

Yes, and no. I'll check that one out.

> Have you looked at Crimson Editor (for Windows users)? Not a
> wysiwyg, but a damned fine editor and project manager.
> http://crimsoneditor.com/

I'll take a look at it. Thanks!

--
} Christopher Jahn
{ http://manormaniac.blogspot.com/

A small mind is a tidy mind.

why?

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 08:21:01 -0800 (PST), thedarkman wrote:

>Hi, thanks for your reply; below are two short files I have uploaded
>to Sendspace. I want the doc file to come out on plain A4 without
>lines and I want the html file to be free of lines.
>
>Any help appreciated

Having a look at the HTML just now.

>On 23 Nov, 15:18, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 06:50:06 -0800 (PST), thedarkman wrote:
>> >I've just bought a new machine, well, a late model Pentium. I gather
>> >it has never been used before; I had it custom built with 160G hard
>> >drive capacity and 256Mb of memory. It came with Open Office which

<snip>

Me

why?

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 08:21:01 -0800 (PST), thedarkman wrote:

>Hi, thanks for your reply; below are two short files I have uploaded
>to Sendspace. I want the doc file to come out on plain A4 without
>lines and I want the html file to be free of lines.
>
>Any help appreciated

As BTS said, the paragraph formatting in the HTML.

Open doc in Word 2003, no lines, print to postscript no lines, webpage
preview no lines, open in OOo 2.2.1 no lines.

<snip>

>On 23 Nov, 15:18, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 06:50:06 -0800 (PST), thedarkman wrote:
>> >I've just bought a new machine, well, a late model Pentium. I gather
>> >it has never been used before; I had it custom built with 160G hard
>> >drive capacity and 256Mb of memory. It came with Open Office which

<snip>

Me

thedarkman

On 25 Nov, 12:34, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 08:21:01 -0800 (PST), thedarkman wrote:
> >Hi, thanks for your reply; below are two short files I have uploaded
> >to Sendspace. I want the doc file to come out on plain A4 without
> >lines and I want the html file to be free of lines.

> >Any help appreciated

> As BTS said, the paragraph formatting in the HTML.
>
> Open doc in Word 2003, no lines, print to postscript no lines, webpage
> preview no lines, open in OOo 2.2.1 no lines.
>
> <snip>

> <snip>
>
> Me

Thanks, seems to have solved the problem.