Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WPA-PSK handshake

WPA-PSK handshake

neelaka

I dont know if this is the right plcae to ask this
question!! I wanted to know how the authentication takes
place in WPA-PSK, I know it goes through 4 way handshake
but i dont know the exact steps , can some one help me?

Niklas

This is described in the 802.11i Spec.

In the first message you will get a random value from the AP
In the second you send a random value to the AP
The whole packet is hashed with the pre shared key and the two random
values(part of it)
If the AP can create the same hash it will send you message three
If you can create the same hash you will know that the AP knows the password
too.
You will know set a temporal network key on the adapter
and send message four telling the AP that everything is ok.
you receive first group message that has the key material encrypted, you
decrypt it and set it on the network adapter and send group message two
saying that everyhing is ok.
Now the authentication is done.

When using a radius server, the client will create a new password for each
session that is send to the client encrypted with public/private key.
thst key is then used the same way as the pre shared key (simplified)

regards
Niklas

news:0f2701c50186$ff9cf8d0$(E-Mail Removed)...