Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Buying new laptop.....

Buying new laptop.....

Ben

Hello,

I need some advice.

I am looking to buy a new laptop.

How is the Vista operating system? Is it buggy? Does it include Drivers
for peripherals, etc.

The laptop is for my girlfriend, she wants a video cam, and also the ability
to play "small CDs" that store pictures from her video camera. I don't
know what you call the small CDs. Apperently they should fit into a
"regular" CD drive.

I built my own desktop 5 year ago, and am running 2000 Pro. It works great.
So I have had no reason to keep up with the new stuff.

It may be that proprietary boxes like HP and Dell are so cheap now that it
is just easier to buy a computer, than spend the time to build one.

I wouldn't build a laptop anyway. But it seem like she needs a laptop, or
some type of portable computer.

I am just starting to shop.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Ben

JTJersey

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:53:57 -0800, Ben wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need some advice.
>
> I am looking to buy a new laptop.
>
> How is the Vista operating system? Is it buggy? Does it include
> Drivers for peripherals, etc.

Well, Jim Louderback of PC Magzine puts it this way: "The upshot is that
even after nine months, Vista just ain't cutting it. I definitely gave
Microsoft too much of a free pass on this operating system: I expected it
to get the kinks worked out more quickly. Boy, was I fooled! If Microsoft
can't get Vista working, I might just do the unthinkable: I might move to
Linux."

Then John Dvorak of the same magazine says this referring to Microsoft
Vista: "I’m certainly not going to be a happy camper if I have to switch
to a Mac or Linux system full-time, yet that is exactly where this
scatterbrained company seems to be sending me.

> The laptop is for my girlfriend, she wants a video cam, and also the
> ability to play "small CDs" that store pictures from her video camera.
> I don't know what you call the small CDs. Apperently they should fit
> into a "regular" CD drive.

The Pocket-CD's hold 210Mb of data and fit into that little round area in
the middle of the CD Drive Tray.

> I built my own desktop 5 year ago, and am running 2000 Pro. It works
> great. So I have had no reason to keep up with the new stuff.
>
> It may be that proprietary boxes like HP and Dell are so cheap now that
> it is just easier to buy a computer, than spend the time to build one.
>
> I wouldn't build a laptop anyway. But it seem like she needs a laptop,
> or some type of portable computer.

If your persistent you'll find that you can still get XP installed on a
new laptop instead of Vista.

> I am just starting to shop.
>
> Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Ben

Some people think Vista is the best, guess it depends on what they do with
it and what kind of peripherals you may or may not have to replace.
Printers and scanners seem to be the worst offenders. Ask the store if
you can return it if you don't like it and see what kind of reaction you
get. Good luck.

--
Registered Linux User #267152

Alex Clayton

"Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsjj1j.502$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I need some advice.
>
> I am looking to buy a new laptop.
>
> How is the Vista operating system? Is it buggy? Does it include Drivers
> for peripherals, etc.
>
> The laptop is for my girlfriend, she wants a video cam, and also the
> ability
> to play "small CDs" that store pictures from her video camera. I don't
> know what you call the small CDs. Apperently they should fit into a
> "regular" CD drive.
>
> I built my own desktop 5 year ago, and am running 2000 Pro. It works
> great.
> So I have had no reason to keep up with the new stuff.
>
> It may be that proprietary boxes like HP and Dell are so cheap now that it
> is just easier to buy a computer, than spend the time to build one.
>
> I wouldn't build a laptop anyway. But it seem like she needs a laptop, or
> some type of portable computer.
>
> I am just starting to shop.
>
> Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Ben

I set up a Vista laptop for a co worker and was shocked at how bad it is.
You can still get a new laptop from Dell with XP. If you want to buy a Vista
machine get 2 gigs of RAM. They claim it will run on 512, and it will, but
it will run so slow, it seems like it is frozen all the time. There are a
lot of old items that will no longer work when you get Vista. I guess they
expect you to buy new everything. Last I heard MS is going to cut off XP
from builders like Dell on 1/31/08. So if you want an XP don't wait too
long. I bought 2 of them for my wife and I, and a desktop for the house.
Hopefully by the time they need to be replaced MS will have pulled their
head out of their ass.
Moderation is for monks."
[Lazarus Long]

HLS

"Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsjj1j.502$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I need some advice.
>
> I am looking to buy a new laptop.
>
> How is the Vista operating system? Is it buggy? Does it include Drivers
> for peripherals, etc.

I just bought a desktoop with Vista. Sucks big time.. AND, I cannot
downgrade
this particular machine to XP or 2000.

Most of my peripherals no longer work, because there are no drivers for
them. I cannot
even download my digital camera shots anymore.

I have recovered my old machine and will use it with 2000 or XP, but the
next
step is to set up a machine for Linux.

And, after the first of the year, I will order an ASUS eee laptop for
business travel.
Microsoft has soiled its diapers with me for a long long time.

Oldus Fartus

"Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsjj1j.502$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I need some advice.
>
> I am looking to buy a new laptop.
>
> How is the Vista operating system? Is it buggy? Does it include Drivers
> for peripherals, etc.
>
> The laptop is for my girlfriend, she wants a video cam, and also the
> ability
> to play "small CDs" that store pictures from her video camera. I don't
> know what you call the small CDs. Apperently they should fit into a
> "regular" CD drive.
>
> I built my own desktop 5 year ago, and am running 2000 Pro. It works
> great.
> So I have had no reason to keep up with the new stuff.
>
> It may be that proprietary boxes like HP and Dell are so cheap now that it
> is just easier to buy a computer, than spend the time to build one.
>
> I wouldn't build a laptop anyway. But it seem like she needs a laptop, or
> some type of portable computer.
>
> I am just starting to shop.
>
> Any advice is appreciated.

I will be the odd man out in this thread.

We bought two new laptops in this home a few weeks ago, both Toshibas
(Satellite Pro M200 with Core2Duo 1.5 and Satellite Pro P200D with Turion
64x2 2 Gig. The Intel one has 1.5 Gig ram, the AMD 2 Gig ram.) Both are
running Vista Home Premium.

The initial switch on was painful with it taking probably 40 minutes each to
setup the machines, but after that the boot process is comparable to XP.
Both computers are more responsive than the other computers in the house
running a mixture of XP Pro, and XP Home.

Contrary to my expectations, both laptops connected to our network fine, and
the network printers (Epson, Canon and HP) were all found and work well,
with no dramas. Also contrary to one of the other posters, both my DV
video camera and digital cameras were recognized without problems.

The new Windows Mail feels and acts like a completely different beast to the
old OE, and seems to have learned from my client of choice on the XP
machines (Thunderbird).

So far, the only program which has given me grief is Acronis TrueImage v7.

Overall I have not found the change to be as much of a leap as from Windows
9x to XP.

Like everything though, there are caveats. Make sure ram is at least 1
gig, and preferably 2 gig. Have a look at what is on off, and check the
Windows Experience Index score which you can find at Control
Panel\Performance Information and Tools. In the absence of something
better it is a fairly good indicator of how well the computer will run
Vista.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus