Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox crashes when exiting

Firefox crashes when exiting

Chuck

Windows XP SP2.

About 50% of the time when I close FF I get the following error
"FIREFOX.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
for the inconvenience."

Error Signature
AppName: firefox.exe
AppVer: 1.8.20060.11112
ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0
Offset: 014bee7f

This started maybe a month or two ago. Before I upgraded to 1.5.0.1. Any
ideas what causes this. I think I've upgraded Java and applied MS
patches since then.
--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"

Leonidas Jones

Chuck wrote:
> Windows XP SP2.
>
> About 50% of the time when I close FF I get the following error
> "FIREFOX.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
> for the inconvenience."
>
> Error Signature
> AppName: firefox.exe
> AppVer: 1.8.20060.11112
> ModName: unknown
> ModVer: 0.0.0.0
> Offset: 014bee7f
>
> This started maybe a month or two ago. Before I upgraded to 1.5.0.1. Any
> ideas what causes this. I think I've upgraded Java and applied MS
> patches since then.

As an experiment, try closing FF for awhile via File>>Close, rather then
using the closebox on the right. Does this have any effect?

Lee

Jim

I used to see this with versions 1.0.x., but have not seen
it with 1.5.x.

Jim

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 17:49:49 GMT, Chuck
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Windows XP SP2.
>
>About 50% of the time when I close FF I get the following error
>"FIREFOX.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
>for the inconvenience."
>
>Error Signature
>AppName: firefox.exe
>AppVer: 1.8.20060.11112
>ModName: unknown
>ModVer: 0.0.0.0
>Offset: 014bee7f
>
>This started maybe a month or two ago. Before I upgraded to 1.5.0.1. Any
>ideas what causes this. I think I've upgraded Java and applied MS
>patches since then.

Chuck

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Chuck wrote:
>> Windows XP SP2.
>>
>> About 50% of the time when I close FF I get the following error
>> "FIREFOX.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
>> for the inconvenience."
>>
>> Error Signature
>> AppName: firefox.exe
>> AppVer: 1.8.20060.11112
>> ModName: unknown
>> ModVer: 0.0.0.0
>> Offset: 014bee7f
>>
>> This started maybe a month or two ago. Before I upgraded to 1.5.0.1. Any
>> ideas what causes this. I think I've upgraded Java and applied MS
>> patches since then.

> As an experiment, try closing FF for awhile via File>>Close, rather then
> using the closebox on the right. Does this have any effect?
>
> Lee

Same problem using file/exit. I've even tried completely uninstalling
and reinstalling FF. It still happens.

--

Chuck wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> Chuck wrote:
>>> Windows XP SP2.
>>>
>>> About 50% of the time when I close FF I get the following error
>>> "FIREFOX.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
>>> for the inconvenience."
>>>
>>> Error Signature
>>> AppName: firefox.exe
>>> AppVer: 1.8.20060.11112
>>> ModName: unknown
>>> ModVer: 0.0.0.0
>>> Offset: 014bee7f
>>>
>>> This started maybe a month or two ago. Before I upgraded to 1.5.0.1. Any
>>> ideas what causes this. I think I've upgraded Java and applied MS
>>> patches since then.

>> As an experiment, try closing FF for awhile via File>>Close, rather then
>> using the closebox on the right. Does this have any effect?
>>
>> Lee

> Same problem using file/exit. I've even tried completely uninstalling
> and reinstalling FF. It still happens.

Try opening in Safe Mode:

Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Firefox (or Thunderbird)>>Mozilla
Firefox/Thunderbird (Safe Mode)

Can you browse and then exit cleanly?

Does this happen every time you close FF, or are there specific
circumstances involved?

Lee

Chuck

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Chuck wrote:

>>> As an experiment, try closing FF for awhile via File>>Close, rather then
>>> using the closebox on the right. Does this have any effect?
>>>
>>> Lee

>> Same problem using file/exit. I've even tried completely uninstalling
>> and reinstalling FF. It still happens.
>>

> Try opening in Safe Mode:
>
> Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Firefox (or Thunderbird)>>Mozilla
> Firefox/Thunderbird (Safe Mode)
>
> Can you browse and then exit cleanly?
>
> Does this happen every time you close FF, or are there specific
> circumstances involved?
>
> Lee

It doesn't crash every time but very frequently. I haven't been able to
pin down any circumstance that causes it. I tried safe mode and have
seen it crash when closing then too. Is there some way to determine
what's happening from the debug info?

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"

elaich

Chuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> About 50% of the time when I close FF I get the following error
> "FIREFOX.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
> for the inconvenience."

I had the same problem. Check your computer's memory. It started after I
inserted another memory stick that was SUPPOSED to be compatible with the
one already there. For some reason, it made Firefox unstable. No other
programs were affected. I took the card out, and the problem went away.

Chuck

elaich wrote:
> Chuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> About 50% of the time when I close FF I get the following error
>> "FIREFOX.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
>> for the inconvenience."

> I had the same problem. Check your computer's memory. It started after I
> inserted another memory stick that was SUPPOSED to be compatible with the
> one already there. For some reason, it made Firefox unstable. No other
> programs were affected. I took the card out, and the problem went away.

No memory or memory sticks have been added.

--

> No memory or memory sticks have been added.

But, you might have one starting to fail.

Chuck

elaich wrote:
> Chuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> No memory or memory sticks have been added.

> But, you might have one starting to fail.

But I don't have any memory sticks at all. Just the RAM that came
preinstalled in the machine and if that were going bad I'd be seeing a
lot more applications crashing than just one. I think there is something
incompatibilty between FF and some other piece of software. The question
is "what?". The machine in question is a Dell D600 laptop with XP Pro
SP2 and all current security patches up to the ones released yesterday.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"

Firefox not exiting (JApplet) Steven J. Sobol Java 4 09-06-2006 06:49 PM
Differences in Exiting?? Bob Firefox 2 04-12-2006 10:35 PM
exiting from state machine jiten VHDL 3 08-14-2005 08:18 PM
Two Enquiries re Firefox - Sun Java & Exiting FF. Reg Mouatt Firefox 1 12-19-2004 08:37 AM

Advertisments