Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Where to turn Java Script

Where to turn Java Script

skip

I have XP and Internet Explorer 7. When I try to play a video such as those
on youtube I get a message that I either have Java script turned off or I'm
running an old version of flash player. I've got the latest version of
flash player so it seems to be a problem with Java script. Under security
settings active scripting is enabled and scripting of Java applets is
enabled.

What else needs to be done to turn on Java script?

TIA.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

skip wrote:

> and scripting of Java applets is enabled.

Be wary.

And just in case you weren't aware, Java and JavaScript are two entirely
different things. As an (safe) example, this page uses both (to display
the time):

http://nist.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java

Sorry, I don't have IE7.

--
-bts

skip

news:vWW0j.36725$(E-Mail Removed)...
> skip wrote:
>
>> and scripting of Java applets is enabled.

> Be wary.
>
> And just in case you weren't aware, Java and JavaScript are two entirely
> different things. As an (safe) example, this page uses both (to display
> the time):
>
> http://nist.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java
>
> Sorry, I don't have IE7.
>
> --

Thank you Mr. Shagnasty. My unfortunate ignorance of Java and JavaScript
makes me naturally wary.

Am I correct in assuming JavaScript is enabled since I see the time
displayed at the link you provided?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

skip wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> skip wrote:
>>> .. and scripting of Java applets is enabled.

>> Be wary.
>>
>> And just in case you weren't aware, Java and JavaScript are two
>> entirely different things. As an (safe) example, this page uses both
>> (to display the time):
>>
>> http://nist.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java

> Thank you Mr. Shagnasty. My unfortunate ignorance of Java and
> JavaScript makes me naturally wary.

A basic description of Java (applets) is actual programs downloaded and
run on your computer. Unscrupulous authors can do some nasty things to
your computer.

JavaScript is used for enhancements actually embedded within the HTML
code of a web page.

> Am I correct in assuming JavaScript is enabled since I see the time
> displayed at the link you provided?

Yes, but so is Java. <g>

If you examine the source code of the time page, you will find a Java
applet called by the code:

<applet code="utcnist4.class" codebase="/" width="350" height="100"
ignore>
<param name="MINUTESOFFSET" value="-300">
<param name="BACKGROUNDCOLOR" value="0x00695E">
<param name="FOREGROUNDCOLOR" value="0xFFFFEE">
</applet>

...plus lots of *JavaScript* in the heading of the page, surrounded by

<script language="javascript1.1">
</script>

--
-bts