Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Backup Int help

Backup Int help

rhltechie@gmail.com

Hi All,

I have a working config on a remote office 1701 right now. I plan to
move the adsl wic to a new 1841 and use it as a backup. assuming the
dialer0 is setup correctly and I am adding a two port T1 wic for
bonding two T1's, can I use the following config? I was unsure if you
could use CEF to bond two T's and still use the backup int command.

ip cef
!
!
interface Serial0/0
ip address 1.1.1.10 255.255.255.252
backup delay 10 30
backup interface Dialer0
no ip directed-broadcast
ip load-sharing per-packet
no ip mroute-cache
service-module t1 timeslots 1-24
!
interface Serial0/1
ip address 1.1.1.14 255.255.255.252
backup delay 10 30
backup interface Dialer0
no ip directed-broadcast
ip load-sharing per-packet
no ip mroute-cache
service-module t1 timeslots 1-24

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/0
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/1
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer0 200

TIA,

Merv

CEF does not "bond" interfaces.

It will load-balancing per destination over equal-cost multiple-paths
(ECMP).

You may wish to take look at MLPPP with respect to its load-balancing
capabilities as it may provide improved load-balancing over CEF
depending on the source-destination prefixes being used in your network.

rhltechie@gmail.com

Thanks for the reply. I checked on MLPPP, it is not generally
available without some major red tape. I understand the technology,
sorry for the terminology mix up with bonding and load balancing. Will
either work with the backup int command?

Merv

I am not sure about two T1 interfaces and the backup command.

You need to consider the sitatuion where only 1 T1 goes down, you
probably do not want to use the backup interface in that case ...

Take a look at using the dialer watch feature to trigger the dial
interface only when both T1 go away

rhltechie@gmail.com

hmm, yeah I didnt even think about that. Thanks for the info. I have
done some light reading on the dialer watch feature.

Thanks!