Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > US price v Uk price

Reply
Thread Tools

US price v Uk price

 
 
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2007
Doug McDonald wrote:

> Remember that in the USA most mail-order sales are tax-free.
> (You'd be stupid to buy from a mail-order dealer in your own state,
> if you could avoid it.)
>
> Doug McDonald


No, they're not tax-free, the retailer just doesn't collect the tax for
other states unless they have a physical presence. You still have to pay
the tax, but you're required to send it in yourself, usually when you
file your state income tax (if any).
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Doug McDonald
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2007
TheFrigginQueenOfEngland wrote:

>>

>
> Let me think ... when was the last time that any company from the UK ever
> produced anything that the rest of the world wanted ... hmmmm.....darned if I
> can think of anything at the moment.


Stilton blue. But I have come to prefer Valdeon Blue from Spain. Granados
over Elgar? Well, yes, but not for the same reason.



Doug McDonald
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
RichGK
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2007
On 20 Nov, 23:26, "/\\BratMan/\\" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I see this: Nikon today updated its 18-55mm 'kit' lens to include Vibration
> Reduction (VR). around US $199 (179.99 / ?270.00) onhttp://www.dpreview.com/
>
> And yet when I got to a currency converter site I see this: 199.00 USD =
> 96.2931 GBP
>
> Does anyone know why the the price should be so much higher in the UK.


Add VAT on to that figure as that is added after in the US.

Then your have import costs to add. Probalby higher costs with
transportation etc etc. It's probably not far off.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Doug McDonald
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2007
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏 wrote:
> Doug McDonald wrote:
>
>> Remember that in the USA most mail-order sales are tax-free.
>> (You'd be stupid to buy from a mail-order dealer in your own state,
>> if you could avoid it.)
>>
>> Doug McDonald

>
> No, they're not tax-free, the retailer just doesn't collect the tax for
> other states unless they have a physical presence. You still have to pay
> the tax, but you're required to send it in yourself, usually when you
> file your state income tax (if any).


Not in many states ... the courts have declared the law an unenforceable
restraint of interstate commerce. These are state court decisions.

Doug McDonald




 
Reply With Quote
 
notbresson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2007

"TheFrigginQueenOfEngland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:53:28 GMT, "notbresson"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Lew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:6%P0j.15343$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Marty Fremen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:Xns99EF2D26741C9A6@213.239.142.64...
>>>> "/\\BratMan/\\" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> I see this: Nikon today updated its 18-55mm 'kit' lens to include
>>>>> Vibration Reduction (VR). around US $199 (179.99 / ?270.00) on
>>>>> http://www.dpreview.com/
>>>>>
>>>>> And yet when I got to a currency converter site I see this: 199.00 USD
>>>>> = 96.2931 GBP
>>>>>
>>>>> Does anyone know why the the price should be so much higher in the UK.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> It's because Britain is essentially a theme park for foreign tourists,
>>>> and residents get charged the same theme park prices as the visitors.
>>>> It's not just cameras that are more expensive, almost everything is.
>>>>
>>>> One solution is to buy grey imports from Hong Kong via dodgy ebay
>>>> dealers or cut-price online shops, and hope you won't need to claim on
>>>> the warranty.
>>>
>>> Why not buy from the USA?
>>>
>>>Duty at 6.75% + VAT at 17.5% + post and packing say 25 + handling charge
>>>by PO or couriers and you would need to claim back local sales tax. and
>>>the
>>>exchange rate on your credit card will not be that good. I have just done
>>>the sums for a Zeiss lens costing 549 at Warehouse Express compared tp
>>>$700 at B&H in New York. Ends up hardly worth the trouble and possible
>>>problems with claiming on warrenty.

>>Its just rip off UK again.
>>

>
> Let me think ... when was the last time that any company from the UK ever
> produced anything that the rest of the world wanted ... hmmmm.....darned
> if I
> can think of anything at the moment. Well, there was the Beatles, but even
> they
> wanted the hell out of there. Okay, they gave a good push to the English
> language, but now the rest of the world is having to deal with and attempt
> to
> correct all of the problems with it. Maybe this is why they think
> colonization
> is such a wonderful thing, nobody wants them anywhere so they just move in
> uninvited and call it something good for everyone. There's three whole
> continents now full of people, who are the ancestors of everyone that
> wanted
> nothing better than to get the hell away from the UK and all it stands
> for. Oh
> wait. Don't they make some beers that some people like? Well, at least
> that's
> something.
>
> Other than that, nope, can't think of a thing that ever came out of the UK
> that
> everyone wanted to buy. Did any of them ever invent anything? How about if
> you
> start to produce something from your own companies then charge a mint for
> them.
> Then you can get even.
>
> Be a good chap. Now get busy! Tally-ho and all that rot, eh what? And I
> bet that
> all you UK blokes sit there all smug thinking the rest of the world adores
> your
> pompous asses. Think again.
>
> Now, back to our regularly scheduled program about photography and digital
> cameras....
>

What's all that about?
Seems an inaccurate, prejudiced, pointless, rant about nothing in
particular.
Cheers
Jeff


 
Reply With Quote
 
notbresson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2007

"TheFrigginQueenOfEngland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:53:28 GMT, "notbresson"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Lew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:6%P0j.15343$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Marty Fremen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:Xns99EF2D26741C9A6@213.239.142.64...
>>>> "/\\BratMan/\\" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> I see this: Nikon today updated its 18-55mm 'kit' lens to include
>>>>> Vibration Reduction (VR). around US $199 (179.99 / ?270.00) on
>>>>> http://www.dpreview.com/
>>>>>
>>>>> And yet when I got to a currency converter site I see this: 199.00 USD
>>>>> = 96.2931 GBP
>>>>>
>>>>> Does anyone know why the the price should be so much higher in the UK.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> It's because Britain is essentially a theme park for foreign tourists,
>>>> and residents get charged the same theme park prices as the visitors.
>>>> It's not just cameras that are more expensive, almost everything is.
>>>>
>>>> One solution is to buy grey imports from Hong Kong via dodgy ebay
>>>> dealers or cut-price online shops, and hope you won't need to claim on
>>>> the warranty.
>>>
>>> Why not buy from the USA?
>>>
>>>Duty at 6.75% + VAT at 17.5% + post and packing say 25 + handling charge
>>>by PO or couriers and you would need to claim back local sales tax. and
>>>the
>>>exchange rate on your credit card will not be that good. I have just done
>>>the sums for a Zeiss lens costing 549 at Warehouse Express compared tp
>>>$700 at B&H in New York. Ends up hardly worth the trouble and possible
>>>problems with claiming on warrenty.

>>Its just rip off UK again.
>>

>
> Let me think ... when was the last time that any company from the UK ever
> produced anything that the rest of the world wanted ... hmmmm.....darned
> if I
> can think of anything at the moment. Well, there was the Beatles, but even
> they
> wanted the hell out of there. Okay, they gave a good push to the English
> language, but now the rest of the world is having to deal with and attempt
> to
> correct all of the problems with it. Maybe this is why they think
> colonization
> is such a wonderful thing, nobody wants them anywhere so they just move in
> uninvited and call it something good for everyone. There's three whole
> continents now full of people, who are the ancestors of everyone that
> wanted
> nothing better than to get the hell away from the UK and all it stands
> for. Oh
> wait. Don't they make some beers that some people like? Well, at least
> that's
> something.
>
> Other than that, nope, can't think of a thing that ever came out of the UK
> that
> everyone wanted to buy. Did any of them ever invent anything? How about if
> you
> start to produce something from your own companies then charge a mint for
> them.
> Then you can get even.
>
>.
>
>>

BODDINGTON'S BITTER


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Savage
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2007
On 2007-11-21, notbresson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> "TheFrigginQueenOfEngland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Be a good chap. Now get busy! Tally-ho and all that rot, eh what? And I
>> bet that
>> all you UK blokes sit there all smug thinking the rest of the world adores
>> your
>> pompous asses. Think again.
>>
>> Now, back to our regularly scheduled program about photography and digital
>> cameras....
>>

> What's all that about?
> Seems an inaccurate, prejudiced, pointless, rant about nothing in
> particular.


Do you think it might be a troll?

Thanks for reposting the entire inaccurate, prejudiced, pointless, rant
for those of us whose killfiles are working and didn't see it the first
time.

--
Chris Savage Kiss me. Or would you rather live in a
Gateshead, UK land where the soap won't lather?
- Billy Bragg
 
Reply With Quote
 
notbresson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2007

"Chris Savage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2007-11-21, notbresson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> "TheFrigginQueenOfEngland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Be a good chap. Now get busy! Tally-ho and all that rot, eh what? And I
>>> bet that
>>> all you UK blokes sit there all smug thinking the rest of the world
>>> adores
>>> your
>>> pompous asses. Think again.
>>>
>>> Now, back to our regularly scheduled program about photography and
>>> digital
>>> cameras....
>>>

>> What's all that about?
>> Seems an inaccurate, prejudiced, pointless, rant about nothing in
>> particular.

>
> Do you think it might be a troll?
>
> Thanks for reposting the entire inaccurate, prejudiced, pointless, rant
> for those of us whose killfiles are working and didn't see it the first
> time.
>
> --
> OK.

I fell for it. Will not do it again.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bates
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-22-2007
On Nov 21, 11:25 am, TheFrigginQueenOfEngland <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:53:28 GMT, "notbresson" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> >"Lew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:6%P0j.15343$(E-Mail Removed)...

>
> >> "Marty Fremen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>news:Xns99EF2D26741C9A6@213.239.142.64...
> >>> "/\\BratMan/\\" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
> >>>> I see this: Nikon today updated its 18-55mm 'kit' lens to include
> >>>> Vibration Reduction (VR). around US $199 (179.99 / ?270.00) on
> >>>>http://www.dpreview.com/

>
> >>>> And yet when I got to a currency converter site I see this: 199.00 USD
> >>>> = 96.2931 GBP

>
> >>>> Does anyone know why the the price should be so much higher in the UK..

>
> >>> It's because Britain is essentially a theme park for foreign tourists,
> >>> and residents get charged the same theme park prices as the visitors.
> >>> It's not just cameras that are more expensive, almost everything is.

>
> >>> One solution is to buy grey imports from Hong Kong via dodgy ebay
> >>> dealers or cut-price online shops, and hope you won't need to claim on
> >>> the warranty.

>
> >> Why not buy from the USA?

>
> >>Duty at 6.75% + VAT at 17.5% + post and packing say 25 + handling charge
> >>by PO or couriers and you would need to claim back local sales tax. and the
> >>exchange rate on your credit card will not be that good. I have just done
> >>the sums for a Zeiss lens costing 549 at Warehouse Express compared tp
> >>$700 at B&H in New York. Ends up hardly worth the trouble and possible
> >>problems with claiming on warrenty.

> >Its just rip off UK again.

>
> Let me think ... when was the last time that any company from the UK ever
> produced anything that the rest of the world wanted ... hmmmm.....darned if I
> can think of anything at the moment. Well, there was the Beatles, but even they
> wanted the hell out of there. Okay, they gave a good push to the English
> language, but now the rest of the world is having to deal with and attempt to
> correct all of the problems with it. Maybe this is why they think colonization
> is such a wonderful thing, nobody wants them anywhere so they just move in
> uninvited and call it something good for everyone. There's three whole
> continents now full of people, who are the ancestors of everyone that wanted
> nothing better than to get the hell away from the UK and all it stands for.. Oh
> wait. Don't they make some beers that some people like? Well, at least that's
> something.
>
> Other than that, nope, can't think of a thing that ever came out of the UK that
> everyone wanted to buy. Did any of them ever invent anything? How about if you
> start to produce something from your own companies then charge a mint for them.
> Then you can get even.
>
> Be a good chap. Now get busy! Tally-ho and all that rot, eh what? And I bet that
> all you UK blokes sit there all smug thinking the rest of the world adores your
> pompous asses. Think again.
>
> Now, back to our regularly scheduled program about photography and digital
> cameras....


Okay, I'm really hoping this was entirely sarcastic but just in case,
here is a small list:

Many beers, Many single malts, Many cars, Many high end HiFi
components (speakers, amplifiers, CD/DVD players), Many movies, Many
books.....

Oh and no - I'm not from the UK, but they have many products I
covet.....
 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Bartram
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2007

"TheFrigginQueenOfEngland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Let me think ... when was the last time that any company from the UK ever
> produced anything that the rest of the world wanted ... hmmmm.....darned
> if I
> can think of anything at the moment.


HP sauce! Other than that, the only good thing to come out of the UK these
days is Qantas flight QF5 to Sydney...

Paul (who left there in 1973)


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US price, vs NZ price djdickjonson NZ Computing 13 07-18-2008 09:34 AM
Price Comparison Service. Best Deal. Special Coupon atBest-Price-Comparison.com rapee Digital Photography 0 03-14-2008 06:46 AM
Online price vs retail store price? Squiggle NZ Computing 74 12-07-2007 03:44 AM
computer spares price list | newly added Canada country price list| Nandhu Python 0 12-04-2007 02:56 PM
Vista Ultimate: NZ price vs US Price whome NZ Computing 61 02-03-2007 12:11 PM



Advertisments