Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Lose Internet access after sleep with WRT54G

Lose Internet access after sleep with WRT54G

Alan Biddle

I have a Linksys WRT54G V8.0 router. Everything works fine, except
when I allow my desktop computer (Ethernet to port 1) to sleep and
then wake, I lose the ability to connect to the Internet unless I
either reboot the computer, or recycle the power to the router. I
have a Vista laptop connected wirelessly, and it works fine. When I
use the Easy Advisor, it gives me a message about having detected a
new router, and then that it does not detect any Internet access. No
problem if I just go directly from the DSL modem to the computer.

System:

DSL access using a Comtrend CT-5071 modem. ISP uses DCHP

Desktop is an HP Pavilion d4650y, XP Pro SP2.

Things I have tried or checked:

IPCONFIG /RELEASE and then /RENEW does not work. It just times out.
Switched the computer from DCHP to static addressing works, but does
not fix the problem.
Ethernet card is selected to NOT power down.
I did find a Vista patch which seems to address this problem, but not
for XP.

I am new at home networking, and would appreciate any input.

--
Alan

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Check the Power saving and Standby setting, and make sure that none of the
Network Components goes to "sleep".
I do not have of hand a screen of Vista, this is the way it look in Win XP,
http://www.ezlan.net/example/powersave.jpg (it look similar in Vista too).
In Vista get the to the Network and Sharing Center, click on the Manage
network connections, right click on the connection, chose properties and
choose configure.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Alan Biddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Linksys WRT54G V8.0 router. Everything works fine, except
> when I allow my desktop computer (Ethernet to port 1) to sleep and
> then wake, I lose the ability to connect to the Internet unless I
> either reboot the computer, or recycle the power to the router. I
> have a Vista laptop connected wirelessly, and it works fine. When I
> use the Easy Advisor, it gives me a message about having detected a
> new router, and then that it does not detect any Internet access. No
> problem if I just go directly from the DSL modem to the computer.
>
> System:
>
> DSL access using a Comtrend CT-5071 modem. ISP uses DCHP
>
> Desktop is an HP Pavilion d4650y, XP Pro SP2.
>
> Things I have tried or checked:
>
> IPCONFIG /RELEASE and then /RENEW does not work. It just times out.
> Switched the computer from DCHP to static addressing works, but does
> not fix the problem.
> Ethernet card is selected to NOT power down.
> I did find a Vista patch which seems to address this problem, but not
> for XP.
>
> I am new at home networking, and would appreciate any input.
>

> --
> Alan

Alan Biddle

Jack,

The Intel adapter has some slight differences, but I found the
equivalent, and disabled it. Will give it a try, and report back
tomorrow. Since this is an XP machine, the illustrations were good.
Nice web site, and I am going to look through it!

--
Alan

Alan Biddle

Jack,

That seems to have done it! The computer and network woke up normally
this morning.

Having found one place under the Device Manager, Network Adapters,
Power Management, it did not occur to me to look for a similar entry
elsewhere. Thanks for sharing the knowledge, and your interesting web
site resource.

--
Alan

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).