Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > saving gmail messages

saving gmail messages

mickeymuffin

hello, is it possible to save some important emails from my gmail
account to a blank disc? i dont have an email reader ie outlook in
work so log into the gmail site to view my emails and would like to
save some emails to disc!

many thanks for any help/info

Steve Wolstenholme

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 05:12:06 -0800 (PST), mickeymuffin
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>hello, is it possible to save some important emails from my gmail
>account to a blank disc? i dont have an email reader ie outlook in
>work so log into the gmail site to view my emails and would like to
>save some emails to disc!
>
>many thanks for any help/info

Set your gmail account to forward your messages to wherever you want
them.

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software Ltd

http://www.easynn.com
http://www.tropheus.demon.co.uk

mickeymuffin

At the moment the only internet access that i have is at work and we
are not allowed to use Outlook etc

Set your gmail account to forward your messages to wherever you want
them.

Steve

Neural Planner Software Ltd

http://www.easynn.comhttp://www.tropheus.demon.co.uk

ded

"mickeymuffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> At the moment the only internet access that i have is at work and we
> are not allowed to use Outlook etc

OK, so you don't have internet access at home, so you can't forward
the gmails, but you have access to a burner at work?
So paste the contents of the gmails into MS Word or Notepad, save
as a word or notepad doc, burn to CD/DVD, then copy over to home PC.

> Set your gmail account to forward your messages to wherever you want
> them.
>
> Steve
>

> Neural Planner Software Ltd
>
> http://www.easynn.comhttp://www.tropheus.demon.co.uk

Gordon

"mickeymuffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> At the moment the only internet access that i have is at work and we
> are not allowed to use Outlook etc

So what DO you use for email at work?

Mike Easter

mickeymuffin wrote:
> hello, is it possible to save some important emails from my gmail
> account to a blank disc? i dont have an email reader ie outlook in
> work so log into the gmail site to view my emails and would like to
> save some emails to disc!

> At the moment the only internet access that i have is at work and we
> are not allowed to use Outlook etc

So, if I understand this correctly, the computer access you have is at
work which does not have a mailuser agent and you access gmail from
there.

You want access to email content with or without headers you have
received in gmail that you have copied to a disk.

It isn't clear what kind of computer equipment you have access to. This
work computer has what drives you are authorized to use, floppy? USB
ports? Are you authorized to copy information you have accessed on the
work computer to take home?

Do you have access to a home computer which does /not/ have internet
access? What kinds of drives does it have, floppy, USB ports? Do you
have access to some other computer which is not work or home, such as
library? What kinds of drive/ports does it have, floppy/USB?

--
Mike Easter

TJ

"Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:13k60sm1qmr5n48
@corp.supernews.com:

> mickeymuffin wrote:
>> hello, is it possible to save some important emails from my gmail
>> account to a blank disc? i dont have an email reader ie outlook in
>> work so log into the gmail site to view my emails and would like to
>> save some emails to disc!

>> At the moment the only internet access that i have is at work and we
>> are not allowed to use Outlook etc

> So, if I understand this correctly, the computer access you have is at
> work which does not have a mailuser agent and you access gmail from
> there.

That's how I read it, yes.

> You want access to email content with or without headers you have
> received in gmail that you have copied to a disk.

Headers have ****-all to do with anything here, and no. S/he's asking how
to save gmails to a disk. Not how to access them once that task has been
accomplished. Why do you always need to obfuscate things?

> It isn't clear what kind of computer equipment you have access to.

Which part isn't clear, Mike? The OP has access to the Internet at work
but not elsewhere. When the OP goes to work s/he logs onto gmail and reads
the messages. S/he's asking how to save said messages to disk. What else
did you NEED to know?

> This
> work computer has what drives you are authorized to use, floppy? USB
> ports? Are you authorized to copy information you have accessed on the
> work computer to take home?

OK. At least that part makes sense. I'm about to ask the OP the same sort
of thing regarding a printer.

> Do you have access to a home computer which does /not/ have internet
> access?

That was covered by, "At the moment the only internet access that i have is
at work."

So it does not matter very much if the OP has access to another computer at
home, or on the moon, Mike. If there's no Internet access, there's no way
the OP can reply in a timely fashion to any "important emails", is there?

<snip redundancy>

To the OP:

Why don't you just PRINT these "important emails" you want to save? Or do
you not have a printer at work, or are you not allowed to use it?

Besides that, doesn't gmail allow you to store copies of email you've sent
and/or received indefinately in an online archive folder? I mean, if one
really needs to make sure an email doesn't get "lost" that would be the way
to do it I'd think.

Gordon

"TJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Besides that, doesn't gmail allow you to store copies of email you've sent
> and/or received indefinately in an online archive folder?

yes - and currently the storage size is in excess of TWO GIGS.......

Mike Easter

TJ wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

>> So, if I understand this correctly, the computer access you have is
>> at work which does not have a mailuser agent and you access gmail
>> from there.

> That's how I read it, yes.

This is not a typical computer user we are guessing at here. Making
assumptions or guesses about what you can do with a work computer in
atypical situations is a bad idea. A great many work environments do
not allow employees to use the work computer to make copies of any
material they have access to.

>> You want access to email content with or without headers you have
>> received in gmail that you have copied to a disk.

> Headers have ****-all to do with anything here,

To me, the headers are a part of any email item, and in fact, to me
copying a mail means copying the complete headers and unrendered html.
You are making assumptions about some fraction of the mail the OP wants
to copy. Only the rendered body of an html mail? The unrendered html
body? I would not be copying a mail without the headers. Almost all of
the people I talk to about copying gmail copy it from the 'show
original' function.

> and no. S/he's
> asking how to save gmails to a disk. Not how to access them once
> that task has been accomplished. Why do you always need to obfuscate
> things?

If you are going to save something, you need to be saving it in a form
that you can access. Doh. How the saved data is going to be accessed
is critical to how to save it.

>> It isn't clear what kind of computer equipment you have access to.

> Which part isn't clear, Mike? The OP has access to the Internet at
> work but not elsewhere.

The OP has defined that there is a computer which can access the
internet at work. S/he hasn't defined anything else, including what the
capabilities of the work computer are. The fact that it is a work
machine which is 'restrictive' in terms of installing applications is
evident, but if the work computer allows USB access and 'usage', all
kinds of things are possible.

It is even possible that a portable mail app could be put on a
thumbdrive and the gmail transferred in that way.

> When the OP goes to work s/he logs onto
> gmail and reads the messages. S/he's asking how to save said
> messages to disk. What else did you NEED to know?

What kinds of access and behavior the work computer allows and
facilitates.

>> Do you have access to a home computer which does /not/ have internet
>> access?

> That was covered by, "At the moment the only internet access that i
> have is at work."

No, a home computer without internet access isn't covered by that
information.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Gordon wrote:
> "TJ"

>> Besides that, doesn't gmail allow you to store copies of email
>> you've sent and/or received indefinately in an online archive folder?

> yes - and currently the storage size is in excess of TWO GIGS.......

My gmail storage capacity is currently in excess of 5 gigs and growing.

--
Mike Easter