Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > XP home SP2 cannot view/access my XP home SP1 or my Win2K machines

XP home SP2 cannot view/access my XP home SP1 or my Win2K machines

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtaW5h?=

I have a new machine that is windows xp sp2 and for the life of me can't get
to it on my wireless network. I added it to my workgroup successfully, my xp
sp1 machine can see the Computer Name but the error says "path not valid
//computername"; I compared the two machines and the only difference I can
see is that they are sp2 and sp1. Can someone offer some help? I also have
a win2k machine that cannot view the xp sp2 machine but can view the xp sp1
machine. ???

Carol

When you say you added it to your workgroup ok, you are sure that all your
computers are on the same workgroup (checking your computer names are all
different and they are all on the same network) Then check the ip addresses
(you can open a command prompt window and type ipconfig /all ) and make
sure your firewall is set to allow all the addresses on each computer. Then
make sure, when the wireless computer tries to access the network, that it
has set up any password you may have set in your router.
What kind of router are you using and what type of wireless card (802.11 a/b
or 802.11 a/b/g or a/b/g/n) Your hardware has to be compatible with your
settings.

"Jamina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a new machine that is windows xp sp2 and for the life of me can't
>get
> to it on my wireless network. I added it to my workgroup successfully, my
> xp
> sp1 machine can see the Computer Name but the error says "path not valid
> //computername"; I compared the two machines and the only difference I can
> see is that they are sp2 and sp1. Can someone offer some help? I also
> have
> a win2k machine that cannot view the xp sp2 machine but can view the xp
> sp1
> machine. ???

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtaW5h?=

Hi Carol, thank you for your time. Yes, the computer names are all
different. Yes, the workgroup is the same exactly on all three computers. I
have DHCP enabled thus, it auto assigns my IP address for each computer.
I'll try the IPCONFIG /all anyway. I don't have a password yet on my router;
so that's not an issue. I'm using a DLink DI614+ 802.11g; When you say the
hardward has to compatible with your settings, what exactly does that mean?
My XPSP2 machine CAN get on the internet fine; under Explorer, Computers Near
Me, I can see the names of my two other computers but when I click on one of
those names, "//computerA is not found; path not found (something like that).
Thanks again

"Carol" wrote:

> When you say you added it to your workgroup ok, you are sure that all your
> computers are on the same workgroup (checking your computer names are all
> different and they are all on the same network) Then check the ip addresses
> (you can open a command prompt window and type ipconfig /all ) and make
> sure your firewall is set to allow all the addresses on each computer. Then
> make sure, when the wireless computer tries to access the network, that it
> has set up any password you may have set in your router.
> What kind of router are you using and what type of wireless card (802.11 a/b
> or 802.11 a/b/g or a/b/g/n) Your hardware has to be compatible with your
> settings.
>
> "Jamina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a new machine that is windows xp sp2 and for the life of me can't
> >get
> > to it on my wireless network. I added it to my workgroup successfully, my
> > xp
> > sp1 machine can see the Computer Name but the error says "path not valid
> > //computername"; I compared the two machines and the only difference I can
> > see is that they are sp2 and sp1. Can someone offer some help? I also
> > have
> > a win2k machine that cannot view the xp sp2 machine but can view the xp
> > sp1
> > machine. ???

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi