Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Scanned or 1:1 photography for slides?

Scanned or 1:1 photography for slides?

van Dark

I have got thousands color and B/W slides. And I would like to archive
these images. What is better: make a scan for these slides or use a
camera with 1:1 macrophotography?
This is a question.
Van

ray

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:45:54 +0100, van Dark wrote:

> I have got thousands color and B/W slides. And I would like to archive
> these images. What is better: make a scan for these slides or use a
> camera with 1:1 macrophotography?
> This is a question.
> Van

A scan with a good scanner is probably 'best'. It's also quite time
consuming. IMHO 'best' is to pay a professional lab to do it for you.

Bob Williams

van Dark wrote:
> I have got thousands color and B/W slides. And I would like to archive
> these images. What is better: make a scan for these slides or use a
> camera with 1:1 macrophotography?
> This is a question.
> Van

Ray gave good advice.
A good film scanner will probably do a better job than a 1:1 macro shot.
BUT
A 1:1 macro is probably 10 times faster and the image quality is very good.
As a matter of practicality, if you plan to scan thousands of negs and
slides.....it almost surely ain't going to happen.
Cull the thousands down to hundreds and have them done commercially.
There are a lot of sites online that will scan for about 50 cents each.
Google on Slide Scanning Service.

Bob Williams

bugbear

van Dark wrote:
> I have got thousands color and B/W slides. And I would like to archive
> these images. What is better: make a scan for these slides or use a
> camera with 1:1 macrophotography?

Are they mounted?

BugBear