Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer problems - possible trojan inefction.

Computer problems - possible trojan inefction.

Lee

Win 2K.
Hi,
My wife downloaded somethingin error while clicking over
enthusastically, you know the type of thing, it says its an .avi file
but the title of it is about 3 miles long, full of swearing, porn and
other disgusting words. I would like help on how to remove this file.
It was downloaded from a P2P sharing programme and went to a 'shared
folder' in 'my documents'
She tried to delete it as soon as she realised what it was but it wont
delete, nor can you cut it, change the properties of it, or affect it
in any way. Now the computer has slowed down to near nothing and most
programs are unresponsive. I ran Mcafee which did not detect and
viruses / spyware (it never seems to, and yes it is up to date!)
I also ran a second program which i downloaded a free trial (which
wont actually remove it just show the infections) and it said i had;

1) adware.starware
2) trojan-spy.banker.egj
3) application.pc-tattletale-parental-control-software
4) application.second-sight.

I dont know if these are related to the bad file or not but my son is
known to pick up a few infections here and there that dont usually
affect us and we clean them regular.
The only thing i can see to do is a full format and reinstall but can
someone else here can help me out before i do?
I have 3 profiles on the comp, one works a little, two hardly at all,
one connects to the internet after a while but comes up with various
error message when i try downloading something.
I can get programs etc off the internet at work and take them home if
required.

Any ideas please?

Thanks
Lee

The Rifleman

I cant offer you much hope, only perhaps save you some time, I recently had
a similar problem and ended up with a trojan called CHO.AL Spybot,
spydoctor and AVG7.5 could not get rid of it, Spydoctor could detect it and
deal with it, but as soon as I turned the PC back on the infection reoccured
again, I ended up having to completely reformay my drive, apparently many
recent trojans are so clever they can survive an anyti spyware / anti virus
program.
"Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Win 2K.
> Hi,
> My wife downloaded somethingin error while clicking over
> enthusastically, you know the type of thing, it says its an .avi file
> but the title of it is about 3 miles long, full of swearing, porn and
> other disgusting words. I would like help on how to remove this file.
> It was downloaded from a P2P sharing programme and went to a 'shared
> folder' in 'my documents'
> She tried to delete it as soon as she realised what it was but it wont
> delete, nor can you cut it, change the properties of it, or affect it
> in any way. Now the computer has slowed down to near nothing and most
> programs are unresponsive. I ran Mcafee which did not detect and
> viruses / spyware (it never seems to, and yes it is up to date!)
> I also ran a second program which i downloaded a free trial (which
> wont actually remove it just show the infections) and it said i had;
>
> 1) adware.starware
> 2) trojan-spy.banker.egj
> 3) application.pc-tattletale-parental-control-software
> 4) application.second-sight.
>
> I dont know if these are related to the bad file or not but my son is
> known to pick up a few infections here and there that dont usually
> affect us and we clean them regular.
> The only thing i can see to do is a full format and reinstall but can
> someone else here can help me out before i do?
> I have 3 profiles on the comp, one works a little, two hardly at all,
> one connects to the internet after a while but comes up with various
> error message when i try downloading something.
> I can get programs etc off the internet at work and take them home if
> required.
>
> Any ideas please?
>
> Thanks
> Lee

ded

"Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Win 2K.
> Hi,
> My wife downloaded somethingin error while clicking over
> enthusastically, you know the type of thing, it says its an .avi file
> but the title of it is about 3 miles long, full of swearing, porn and
> other disgusting words. I would like help on how to remove this file.
> It was downloaded from a P2P sharing programme and went to a 'shared
> folder' in 'my documents'
> She tried to delete it as soon as she realised what it was but it wont
> delete, nor can you cut it, change the properties of it, or affect it
> in any way. Now the computer has slowed down to near nothing and most
> programs are unresponsive. I ran Mcafee which did not detect and
> viruses / spyware (it never seems to, and yes it is up to date!)
> I also ran a second program which i downloaded a free trial (which
> wont actually remove it just show the infections) and it said i had;
>
> 1) adware.starware
> 2) trojan-spy.banker.egj
> 3) application.pc-tattletale-parental-control-software
> 4) application.second-sight.
>
> I dont know if these are related to the bad file or not but my son is
> known to pick up a few infections here and there that dont usually
> affect us and we clean them regular.
> The only thing i can see to do is a full format and reinstall but can
> someone else here can help me out before i do?
> I have 3 profiles on the comp, one works a little, two hardly at all,
> one connects to the internet after a while but comes up with various
> error message when i try downloading something.
> I can get programs etc off the internet at work and take them home if
> required.
>
> Any ideas please?
>
> Thanks
> Lee

3 user profiles, who has administrator rights?
"P2P program", which one? A good one would have created an "isolated"
folder for downloads, but you mention a "shared folder"..tut tut.
When trying to delete the downloaded .avi, there would be a specific
error messsage, such as file is inaccessible, access rights etc?
"various error messages when downloading"? Error messages indicate
what is wrong, so what are the error messages?
The slowness could be anything, corrupt user profiles, corrupt registry etc.
The 4 found malware you list, were the location listed, was it win32?
For malware you can use the following downloads, but a format is easier:
Malicious malware removal tool:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830/en-us
Free Ad-Aware download:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
Free Spybot search and destroy malware removal:
http://www.link-2008.com/spybot/defa...FQ6ZQwodMVezMg
(Use all 3 above tools)
Create new user profile, recover user profile data, delete corrupt profiles.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555473/en-us

But the easy answer, format, reinstall.

Mara

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 00:36:25 -0800 (PST), Lee <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Win 2K.
>Hi,
>My wife downloaded somethingin error while clicking over
>enthusastically, you know the type of thing, it says its an .avi file
>but the title of it is about 3 miles long, full of swearing, porn and
>other disgusting words. I would like help on how to remove this file.
>It was downloaded from a P2P sharing programme and went to a 'shared
>folder' in 'my documents'

Try the 30-day trial here:

http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/
<snip>

AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
--glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

chuckcar

Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Win 2K.
> Hi,
> My wife downloaded somethingin error while clicking over
> enthusastically, you know the type of thing, it says its an .avi file
> but the title of it is about 3 miles long, full of swearing, porn and
> other disgusting words. I would like help on how to remove this file.
> It was downloaded from a P2P sharing programme and went to a 'shared
> folder' in 'my documents'
> She tried to delete it as soon as she realised what it was but it wont
> delete, nor can you cut it, change the properties of it, or affect it
> in any way. Now the computer has slowed down to near nothing and most
> programs are unresponsive. I ran Mcafee which did not detect and
> viruses / spyware (it never seems to, and yes it is up to date!)

You *do* scan the *entire* hard drive from time to time right? Otherwise
no AV program will find all infections no matter how good it is.

> Any ideas please?

Try running Mcafee as mentioned above and remove *all* infections by
first quarentening the files and then remove all the infected files.
Your AV software should be set up to scan all downloads esp. email. If
it's not doing this, you should read the help to make sure you set it up
so it does. After that make *absolutely* sure that everone *knows* how
to make sure that any download is not a virus/trojan so you don't get
infected again. That is have them scan *anything* they download before
they do anything with it other than save it to some place where it
*will* be deleted immediately if that is the case.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

pcbutts1

Use Remove-it version 14, it's fast and free. It now has over 5000
signatures to remove All variants of Rogue scanners, Desktop/Homepage
Hijackers, Trojans, Codec's, and related Malware/Spyware. New Feature,
Remove-it will now update your hosts file. This tool is designed to
Specifically remove all variants. Scan time is about 2-10 minutes. Designed
for Windows 2000/XP only.First read this page
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads then use the email link on the bottom of
the page to receive the software.

"Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Win 2K.
> Hi,
> My wife downloaded somethingin error while clicking over
> enthusastically, you know the type of thing, it says its an .avi file
> but the title of it is about 3 miles long, full of swearing, porn and
> other disgusting words. I would like help on how to remove this file.
> It was downloaded from a P2P sharing programme and went to a 'shared
> folder' in 'my documents'
> She tried to delete it as soon as she realised what it was but it wont
> delete, nor can you cut it, change the properties of it, or affect it
> in any way. Now the computer has slowed down to near nothing and most
> programs are unresponsive. I ran Mcafee which did not detect and
> viruses / spyware (it never seems to, and yes it is up to date!)
> I also ran a second program which i downloaded a free trial (which
> wont actually remove it just show the infections) and it said i had;
>
> 1) adware.starware
> 2) trojan-spy.banker.egj
> 3) application.pc-tattletale-parental-control-software
> 4) application.second-sight.
>
> I dont know if these are related to the bad file or not but my son is
> known to pick up a few infections here and there that dont usually
> affect us and we clean them regular.
> The only thing i can see to do is a full format and reinstall but can
> someone else here can help me out before i do?
> I have 3 profiles on the comp, one works a little, two hardly at all,
> one connects to the internet after a while but comes up with various
> error message when i try downloading something.
> I can get programs etc off the internet at work and take them home if
> required.
>
> Any ideas please?
>
> Thanks
> Lee

bardeban

Go to safe mode and than run spybot again.

"The Rifleman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I cant offer you much hope, only perhaps save you some time, I recently
> had a similar problem and ended up with a trojan called CHO.AL Spybot,
> spydoctor and AVG7.5 could not get rid of it, Spydoctor could detect it
> and deal with it, but as soon as I turned the PC back on the infection
> reoccured again, I ended up having to completely reformay my drive,
> apparently many recent trojans are so clever they can survive an anyti
> spyware / anti virus program.
> "Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Win 2K.
>> Hi,
>> My wife downloaded somethingin error while clicking over
>> enthusastically, you know the type of thing, it says its an .avi file
>> but the title of it is about 3 miles long, full of swearing, porn and
>> other disgusting words. I would like help on how to remove this file.
>> It was downloaded from a P2P sharing programme and went to a 'shared
>> folder' in 'my documents'
>> She tried to delete it as soon as she realised what it was but it wont
>> delete, nor can you cut it, change the properties of it, or affect it
>> in any way. Now the computer has slowed down to near nothing and most
>> programs are unresponsive. I ran Mcafee which did not detect and
>> viruses / spyware (it never seems to, and yes it is up to date!)
>> I also ran a second program which i downloaded a free trial (which
>> wont actually remove it just show the infections) and it said i had;
>>
>> 1) adware.starware
>> 2) trojan-spy.banker.egj
>> 3) application.pc-tattletale-parental-control-software
>> 4) application.second-sight.
>>
>> I dont know if these are related to the bad file or not but my son is
>> known to pick up a few infections here and there that dont usually
>> affect us and we clean them regular.
>> The only thing i can see to do is a full format and reinstall but can
>> someone else here can help me out before i do?
>> I have 3 profiles on the comp, one works a little, two hardly at all,
>> one connects to the internet after a while but comes up with various
>> error message when i try downloading something.
>> I can get programs etc off the internet at work and take them home if
>> required.
>>
>> Any ideas please?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Lee

Plato

Lee wrote:

> It was downloaded from a P2P sharing programme and went to a 'shared
> folder' in 'my documents'

NEVER use any P2P file sharing programs EVER. Unless you want to toast
your PC.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Maximus the Mad

"pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)> after much thought,came
up with this jewel in
news:fhv6cp$678$(E-Mail Removed):

> Use Remove-it version 14, it's fast and free. It now has over 5000
> signatures to remove All variants of Rogue scanners,
> Desktop/Homepage Hijackers, Trojans, Codec's, and related
> Malware/Spyware. New Feature, Remove-it will now update your hosts
> file. This tool is designed to Specifically remove all variants.
> Scan time is about 2-10 minutes. Designed for Windows 2000/XP
> only.First read this page http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads

Then read these and make your choice.

http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks.../I-do-believe-
PCBUTTS1-has-finally-lost-the-plot.aspx

http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks...10/272921.aspx

http://forums.security-central.us/sh...ad.php?p=10097

http://www.atribune.org/Blog/?p=16

http://blog.subratam.org/?p=17

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/secu.../pcbutts1what-
a-royal-pain-in-the-butt/

http://www.besttechie.net/2006/09/07...s1-back-at-it/

http://temerc.blogspot.com/2006/09/p...rnet-software-
theif.html

max
--
Virus Removal http://max.shplink.com/removal.html
Keep Clean http://max.shplink.com/keepingclean.html

pcbutts1

For your reading pleasure
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?bl...430--Newsgroup Trolls. Read about mine here http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloadsThe list grows. Leythos the stalker http://www.leythosthestalker.com, DavidH. Lipman, Max M Wachtell III aka What's in a Name?, Fitz, Beauregard T.Shagnasty,Rhonda Lea Kirk, Meat Plow, F Kwatu F, George Orwell"Maximus the Mad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:Xns99F0A222FFE91whatsinaname@207.115.3 3.102...> "pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)> after much thought,came> up with this jewel in> news:fhv6cp$678$(E-Mail Removed):>> > Use Remove-it version 14, it's fast and free. It now has over 5000>> signatures to remove All variants of Rogue scanners,>> Desktop/Homepage Hijackers, Trojans, Codec's, and related>> Malware/Spyware. New Feature, Remove-it will now update your hosts>> file. This tool is designed to Specifically remove all variants.>> Scan time is about 2-10 minutes. Designed for Windows 2000/XP>> only.First read this page http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads>>>>> Then read these and make your choice.>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2006/09/07/I-do-believe-> PCBUTTS1-has-finally-lost-the-plot.aspx>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2006/11/10/272921.aspx>> http://forums.security-central.us/showthread.php?p=10097>> http://www.atribune.org/Blog/?p=16>> http://blog.subratam.org/?p=17>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/securityblog/2006/09/07/pcbutts1what-> a-royal-pain-in-the-butt/>> http://www.besttechie.net/2006/09/07/pcbutts1-back-at-it/>> http://temerc.blogspot.com/2006/09/pcbutts-internet-software-> theif.html>> max> --> Virus Removal http://max.shplink.com/removal.html> Keep Clean http://max.shplink.com/keepingclean.html> Tools http://max.shplink.com/tools.html> Change nomail.afraid.org to gmail.com to reply by email.