Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java versus dotnet

Java versus dotnet

Mr. X.

Hello,

I have almost 20 years of experiment on high-tech.

Right now, I want to start a new business,
based on high technology.

I would like to write a bussiness program,
and I am quite confused of what technology should I use.

Dotnet platform, or Java (I mean - programming, not Dotnet operating
system).

Dotnet is more popular then Java
but Java still stands as good technology for multi-platform environment.
(I live on Israel, and I think the population of dotnet is more then Java).

Dotnet cost money, and java is free (Eclipse is enough for my applications).
Is Java realy cheeper (Is there any fee I need to pay for Eclipse) ?
(Also, I want that my OS will be : linux - still of the fact that it is
free - is there any fee I need to pay for linux ?).
The sale, will of course not be cheeper because of that fact, but will be as
the price as other simmiliar programs at the market.

.... (BTW, not the issue of this forum-mail, I need some bussiness-coaching,
and not only personal cauching - is there any forum for that ?)

Why should I prefer Java and not dotnet ?
Why should I prefer dotnet and not java ?

Thanks

Andrew Thompson

On Nov 20, 9:26 am, "Mr. X." <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> wrote:
> Why should I prefer Java and not dotnet ?
> Why should I prefer dotnet and not java ?

Why should I care? Please take questions like this
over to an advocacy group. Should you decide on
Java and have technical questions, this is the place
to post.

--
Andrew T.

RedGrittyBrick

Mr. X. wrote:

> Dotnet cost money,

Look at the Mono project which is a free implementation of some of .Net.
There is a C# compiler, IDE and runtime that runs on Linux or Windows.

> and java is free (Eclipse is enough for my applications).
> Is Java realy cheeper (Is there any fee I need to pay for Eclipse) ?

You can use Eclipse to develop commercial applications without paying
any fee.

> (Also, I want that my OS will be : linux - still of the fact that it is
> free - is there any fee I need to pay for linux ?).

Linux can be obtained and used without paying a licence fee. Some Linux
distributions can be purchased, in which case the price includes media
and installation support. Some Linux distributions are purchased on an
annual subscription basis. This isn't the right place to discuss Linux
so I'll leave it at that.

> Why should I prefer Java and not dotnet ?
> Why should I prefer dotnet and not java ?

There's no easy answers to that sort of question. It probably depends in
part on what your background is, what sort of application you want to
develop and what sort of platforms you intend targeting.

Arne Vajhøj

Mr. X. wrote:
> I would like to write a bussiness program,
> and I am quite confused of what technology should I use.
>
> Dotnet platform, or Java (I mean - programming, not Dotnet operating
> system).
>
> Dotnet is more popular then Java
> but Java still stands as good technology for multi-platform environment.
> (I live on Israel, and I think the population of dotnet is more then Java).
>
> Dotnet cost money, and java is free (Eclipse is enough for my applications).
> Is Java realy cheeper (Is there any fee I need to pay for Eclipse) ?
> (Also, I want that my OS will be : linux - still of the fact that it is
> free - is there any fee I need to pay for linux ?).
> The sale, will of course not be cheeper because of that fact, but will be as
> the price as other simmiliar programs at the market.

> Why should I prefer Java and not dotnet ?
> Why should I prefer dotnet and not java ?

I think you should start by researching a bit more.

There are no such thing as a .NET operating system.

..NET has become widely used, but Java is still more used in most
countries.

..NET does not cost money.

Eclipse is one of the most powerfull IDE's around, so you can not get
more.

You can get Linux for free or pay if you prefer.

..NET for Linux is via the Mono project (or DotGnu project).

If you are Linux and Unix oriented you will probably be better
of going with Java.

Mono is following MS .NET similar to how gcj is following Sun Java.

Arne

Lew

Mr. X. wrote:
>> Dotnet is more popular then Java

Evidence on the web suggests that Java is considerably more widely used than
C# or .Net. This could change, and the definition of "popular" in these
sources is open to debate. OTOH, there's no evidence I've seen for the
converse claim, that .Net is more popular than Java.

RedGrittyBrick wrote:
> Look at the Mono project which is a free implementation of some of .Net.
> There is a C# compiler, IDE and runtime that runs on Linux or Windows.

I have heard that Mono is behind the full features of .Net, but it may be
enough for the purpose.

>> Why should I prefer Java and not dotnet ?
>> Why should I prefer dotnet and not java ?

> There's no easy answers to that sort of question. It probably depends in
> part on what your background is, what sort of application you want to
> develop and what sort of platforms you intend targeting.

The rule of thumb is that Java is better.

Just kidding. This is a Java newsgroup, after all.

The real rule of thumb is that .Net is better if you're running exclusively on
Windows, Java otherwise.

Both Java and .Net are heavily supported by major players. I don't know if
that is true for Mono.

Once you get into professional deployments you will find big differences, at
least in style. Programmers think sometimes that only development costs
count. Operations is by far the larger expense and risk for a system. From
what I've heard, Linux platforms (and the Java engines on them) are more
stable, scalable and reliable than Windows platforms. Oh, there I go
rumor-mongering. I have heard a lot of anecdotal evidence from sysadmins that
Linux systems are safer.

--
Lew

mich

"Andrew Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Nov 20, 9:26 am, "Mr. X." <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> wrote:
>> Why should I prefer Java and not dotnet ?
>> Why should I prefer dotnet and not java ?

> Why should I care?

Then why should you answer?

mich

"RedGrittyBrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mr. X. wrote:
>
>> Dotnet cost money,

> Look at the Mono project which is a free implementation of some of .Net.
> There is a C# compiler, IDE and runtime that runs on Linux or Windows.
>

>> and java is free (Eclipse is enough for my applications).
>> Is Java realy cheeper (Is there any fee I need to pay for Eclipse) ?

> You can use Eclipse to develop commercial applications without paying any
> fee.

Netbeans is also worth a try and costs the same as Eclipse. Not saying it's
better, but I found it easier for some reason.

John W. Kennedy

Mr. X. wrote:

> (I live on Israel....

> Why should I prefer Java and not dotnet ?

צדק צדק תרדוף

--
John W. Kennedy
A proud member of the reality-based community.

Ramon F Herrera

On Nov 19, 8:53 pm, "John W. Kennedy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Mr. X. wrote:

> > (I live on Israel....

> > Why should I prefer Java and not dotnet ?

> צדק צדק תרדוף
>
> --
> John W. Kennedy
> A proud member of the reality-based community.

Translation, Mr. Kennedy

por favor... si'l vous plait... per piachere...

-RFH

Ramon F Herrera

On Nov 19, 7:26 pm, "Mr. X." <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> wrote:

> Dotnet is more popular than Java

Not in Detroit.
Not at NASA.
Not in Mars.
Not in embedded devices.
Not in cell phones.

Java is a programming language that can be used under .NET - why would
anyone perform such travesty is beyond me.

With Java you can target all operating systems, with .NET you are
pretty much a prisoner of one OS and one company. Lame attempts such
as Mono can be destroyed with the stroke of a key, Neely Kroes
notwithstanding.

-Ramon