Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > OT- Mail list services

OT- Mail list services

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]

We have to send out a monthly email newsletter for a site, and the ISP is
balking because of the bandwidth spike it creates. Can anyone recommend an
inexpensive mail list manager that uses their own SMTP Server(s)?
--Peter
"Inside every large program, there is a small program trying to get out."
http://www.eggheadcafe.com
http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
http://www.blogmetafinder.com

sloan

Peter,

Not what you're looking for, but I ended up writing a MSMQ service to let
out the emails a little more slowly.
I'm converting it to a WCF service (when I get the time).

The future WCF service will expose 2 end points.
One, a web service...for async sending. And backwards compatibility.

The second, a IsOneWay message to use msmq.

I've added a config setting to say "pause X ms" between each email send.
And I added a behavior to use 1 thread.

It made our internal NetOps people happy (aka, no huge/bulk hits).

But we do not have file-attaching needs, so simple little emails is all we
need.

Anyway, I realize you probably could have come up with that on your own, but
just sharing.

Just a note on the old msmq setup. It had to be a synch read from the
queue..to control the throttling. Experimenting with the async reading of
the queue, had emails flying all over the place.

I haven't tested any WCF stuff as it's still in its infancy.

I've also avoided writing a bunch of proxies as well.
http://sholliday.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!A68482B9628A842A!158.entry

"Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have to send out a monthly email newsletter for a site, and the ISP is
> balking because of the bandwidth spike it creates. Can anyone recommend an
> inexpensive mail list manager that uses their own SMTP Server(s)?
> --Peter
> "Inside every large program, there is a small program trying to get out."
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com
> http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
> http://www.blogmetafinder.com

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]

Yep - no, programming isn't the issue. We need to send them "Not" on our own
ISP cause they get all bent out of shape from the spike in bandwidth. Even if
we throttled it, I wouldn't risk it with them. Has to be an email service
with their own host.