Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Slow pc-hard working hard drive after Charter cable connection

Slow pc-hard working hard drive after Charter cable connection

sofasurfer

My pc seemed to run fine when I had dial-up. Then about a week ago I
had Charter Cable hook up high speed internet. My pc flew for a while
and everything happened fast. Now however, applications take a long
time to start. I connect to web site slow and sometimes it takes more
than a few second to load a page. And I can hear the hard drive
working like a dog.

Any clues as to what happened?

Chet39

Check whether Charter installed a firewall or A/V. If you have more than
one running at a time, sometimes they will bug up the works.

"sofasurfer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My pc seemed to run fine when I had dial-up. Then about a week ago I
> had Charter Cable hook up high speed internet. My pc flew for a while
> and everything happened fast. Now however, applications take a long
> time to start. I connect to web site slow and sometimes it takes more
> than a few second to load a page. And I can hear the hard drive
> working like a dog.
>
> Any clues as to what happened?

Tee Jay

sofasurfer wrote:
> My pc seemed to run fine when I had dial-up. Then about a week ago I
> had Charter Cable hook up high speed internet. My pc flew for a while
> and everything happened fast. Now however, applications take a long
> time to start. I connect to web site slow and sometimes it takes more
> than a few second to load a page. And I can hear the hard drive
> working like a dog.
>
> Any clues as to what happened?

I have in the last couple of days seen computers with "extra" users
listed and huge collections of zip files hidden in that users folder
structure. Clients were unaware that this activity was going on.
Make sure you have "hidden folders" turned on and have search look for *.zip
Tee Jay
AVG Free found these infestations.

Ork .

If you thing it' a surfing problem.