Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939 motherboard BIOS help needed...

Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939 motherboard BIOS help needed...

John D. Rockafella

I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939 motherboard in one of my computers at
home. I recently updated the BIOS from the F2 version to the F9
version. Award BIOS, by the way. I did it incrementally, like they
said to do on their web site. But I've noticed that since then, the
hardware detection process at bootup takes longer than it used to.

Is there anything I need to do in the way of BIOS setting adjustments to
perk things up? I've Googled to no avail.

I'm using an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor. WinXP is the OS, fully
patched and service packed.

I posted this note in alt.comp.bios, but no response.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

philo

"John D. Rockafella" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsc40j.11393$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939 motherboard in one of my computers at
> home. I recently updated the BIOS from the F2 version to the F9
> version. Award BIOS, by the way. I did it incrementally, like they
> said to do on their web site. But I've noticed that since then, the
> hardware detection process at bootup takes longer than it used to.
>
> Is there anything I need to do in the way of BIOS setting adjustments to
> perk things up? I've Googled to no avail.
>
> I'm using an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor. WinXP is the OS, fully
> patched and service packed.
>
> I posted this note in alt.comp.bios, but no response.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help offered.

One thing that can help is to set any unused IDE (or SATA) channels to
"none"

If the machine runs better now (once booted up) I would not worry about
it...
but if it runs worse or just the same...
I'd reflash the bios with an older version

John D. Rockafella

Philo:

I appreciate your response. I used to have a problem with Microsoft
Virtual Server on this machine; the PC would crash any time I would load
MVS. I haven't tried using it since the updates, but I'll try it now to
see what happens.

philo wrote:
> "John D. Rockafella" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsc40j.11393$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939 motherboard in one of my computers at
>> home. I recently updated the BIOS from the F2 version to the F9
>> version. Award BIOS, by the way. I did it incrementally, like they
>> said to do on their web site. But I've noticed that since then, the
>> hardware detection process at bootup takes longer than it used to.
>>
>> Is there anything I need to do in the way of BIOS setting adjustments to
>> perk things up? I've Googled to no avail.
>>
>> I'm using an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor. WinXP is the OS, fully
>> patched and service packed.
>>
>> I posted this note in alt.comp.bios, but no response.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help offered.

> One thing that can help is to set any unused IDE (or SATA) channels to
> "none"
>

> If the machine runs better now (once booted up) I would not worry about
> it...
> but if it runs worse or just the same...
> I'd reflash the bios with an older version

philo

"John D. Rockafella" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6p50j.14920$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Philo:
>
> I appreciate your response. I used to have a problem with Microsoft
> Virtual Server on this machine; the PC would crash any time I would load
> MVS. I haven't tried using it since the updates, but I'll try it now to
> see what happens.

Well if the machine no longer crashes I guess I'd put up with the longer
boot time