Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Eneloops at Costco--yet again

Eneloops at Costco--yet again

Allen

As I was leaving Costco (north Austin TX) yesterday I was handed a
coupon booklet good for Nov. 23-25. One is good for $6 off on their
Eneloop kit that has been discussed here almost ad infinitum, making the
net price $19.99. Although I have a couple of sets of Rayovac hybrids, I
may have to take advantage of this deal.
Allen

Morton

Allen wrote:
> As I was leaving Costco (north Austin TX) yesterday I was handed a
> coupon booklet good for Nov. 23-25. One is good for $6 off on their
> Eneloop kit that has been discussed here almost ad infinitum, making the
> net price $19.99. Although I have a couple of sets of Rayovac hybrids, I
> may have to take advantage of this deal.
> Allen

That's a good deal as it includes a small charger, eight AAs, four AAAs,
two C shells, and 2 D shells, all in a neat hard plastic case.

Morton

tnom@mucks.net

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 20:06:27 -0500, Morton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Allen wrote:
>> As I was leaving Costco (north Austin TX) yesterday I was handed a
>> coupon booklet good for Nov. 23-25. One is good for $6 off on their
>> Eneloop kit that has been discussed here almost ad infinitum, making the
>> net price $19.99. Although I have a couple of sets of Rayovac hybrids, I
>> may have to take advantage of this deal.
>> Allen

>That's a good deal as it includes a small charger, eight AAs, four AAAs,
> two C shells, and 2 D shells, all in a neat hard plastic case.
>
>Morton

I don't know if you are suggesting that Eneloops are made in C and D
but I believe they are not.

Allen

> On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 20:06:27 -0500, Morton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Allen wrote:
>>> As I was leaving Costco (north Austin TX) yesterday I was handed a
>>> coupon booklet good for Nov. 23-25. One is good for $6 off on their
>>> Eneloop kit that has been discussed here almost ad infinitum, making the
>>> net price $19.99. Although I have a couple of sets of Rayovac hybrids, I
>>> may have to take advantage of this deal.
>>> Allen

>> That's a good deal as it includes a small charger, eight AAs, four AAAs,
>> two C shells, and 2 D shells, all in a neat hard plastic case.
>>
>> Morton

> I don't know if you are suggesting that Eneloops are made in C and D
> but I believe they are not.

He said "shells", not batteries. They are C- and D- size shells that
hold AAs. I've never tried them, but there have been several posts
indicating that they work, at least in some devices.
Allen

Carl_Jostin

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 20:32:46 -0600, Allen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> That's a good deal as it includes a small charger, eight AAs, four AAAs,
>>> two C shells, and 2 D shells, all in a neat hard plastic case.
>>>
>>> Morton

>> I don't know if you are suggesting that Eneloops are made in C and D
>> but I believe they are not.

>He said "shells", not batteries. They are C- and D- size shells that
>hold AAs. I've never tried them, but there have been several posts
>indicating that they work, at least in some devices.
>Allen

When heading out on extended (read more than 1 month) photo-treks into rugged
and remote areas I carry 4 sets of nested shells that will allow the use of AAA,
AA, and C, all the way up to D. Got them from some surplus company many years
ago for $1 a set. They've been real handy at times. Sure beats wrapping the
batteries in corrugated cardboard and jamming in a lump of crumpled
aluminum-foil to make up the length difference. You do what you need to do in an
emergency. They won't hold the charge that the full-sized cells will but it's
nice to have that backup. Then too, many manufacturers in the past have wrapped
a rechargeable AA sized cell in D and C sized packaging. I noticed this when I
compared their mAh ratings in the past on old NiCd batteries. The C and D NiCds
didn't have any more capacity than AAs. I'll bet many of the NiMH AAs of today
easily beat the capacity of the NiHM C and D cells of the past.

I just realized, I can use those to power my new AA camera with AAAs. I should
put them in my camera bag too. Since all my LED lamps while out mountain-biking
use AAAs, I carry many extras of those in the saddle-bags because I'm often
heading back well after sunset, sometimes just traveling around all night
looking for wildlife shots until morning. (To preemptively correct the minds of
those with only urban and internet experience, do not misconstrue this for
peeping-tomism. There's only a few houses within many miles, and none of the
people in them are the least bit interesting enough to bother photographing.)

Ron Hunter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 20:06:27 -0500, Morton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Allen wrote:
>>> As I was leaving Costco (north Austin TX) yesterday I was handed a
>>> coupon booklet good for Nov. 23-25. One is good for $6 off on their
>>> Eneloop kit that has been discussed here almost ad infinitum, making the
>>> net price $19.99. Although I have a couple of sets of Rayovac hybrids, I
>>> may have to take advantage of this deal.
>>> Allen

>> That's a good deal as it includes a small charger, eight AAs, four AAAs,
>> two C shells, and 2 D shells, all in a neat hard plastic case.
>>
>> Morton

> I don't know if you are suggesting that Eneloops are made in C and D
> but I believe they are not.

Note he said 'shells', not 'cells'. They make holders for the AA
batteries that can be used in applications intended for C and D
batteries. Not necessarily feasible, but possible.

John Sheehy

Morton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Zj50j.439$(E-Mail Removed):

> That's a good deal as it includes a small charger, eight AAs, four AAAs,
> two C shells, and 2 D shells, all in a neat hard plastic case.

It doesn't charge batteries independently though, which leads to batteries
failing to fully charge because their partner already has. Always have a
good charger that charges batteries independently, like the Lacrosse Alpha
900. It can also intelligently condition batteries to regain lost
capacity. I've had batteries that wouldn't take more than 700 mAH, and let
the Alpha do its work and it they got back up to 1800 to 2000 mAH again!

--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

willie thorne

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 01:24:40 GMT, John Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Morton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Zj50j.439$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> That's a good deal as it includes a small charger, eight AAs, four AAAs,
>> two C shells, and 2 D shells, all in a neat hard plastic case.

>It doesn't charge batteries independently though, which leads to batteries
>failing to fully charge because their partner already has. Always have a
>good charger that charges batteries independently, like the Lacrosse Alpha
>900. It can also intelligently condition batteries to regain lost
>capacity. I've had batteries that wouldn't take more than 700 mAH, and let
>the Alpha do its work and it they got back up to 1800 to 2000 mAH again!

That's why this one is such a good deal. I've never heard one bad thing about it
or all the times I've seen it recommended. Been meaning to get one just to see.

http://www.greenbatteries.com/nibachwilcdd.html

No sense paying for those name-brands that don't provide anything more, and
often less. But that Eneloops deal is pretty sweet for all those batteries even
if you don't stick with that charger. Use it as a backup for when you need to do
lots of sets as fast as you can from an extended photo session. You can always
replace batteries, but the photo-moment might be lost forever.

SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

John Sheehy wrote:
> Morton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Zj50j.439$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> That's a good deal as it includes a small charger, eight AAs, four AAAs,
>> two C shells, and 2 D shells, all in a neat hard plastic case.

> It doesn't charge batteries independently though,

It does charge each battery independently. I have three of these
chargers, and often charge one or three batteries.

You can see the manual at
"http://www.eneloopusa.com/pdf/4_Position_Charger_IS.pdf", no where does
it mention charging in pairs.

John Sheehy

=?UTF-8?B?U01TIOaWr+iSguaWh+KAoiDlpI8=?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in news:474267e6$0$79904$(E-Mail Removed):

> You can see the manual at
> "http://www.eneloopusa.com/pdf/4_Position_Charger_IS.pdf", no where
> does it mention charging in pairs.

I just bought the Costco Eneloop pack, and the charger that came with it
only charges in pairs. 4 battery slots; 2 charge lights, and it takes two
batteries for the charge light to come on.

I bought the pack only because the price was reasonable without considering
the charger.

--

John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>