Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Photo editing with Vista Ult 64 bit

Photo editing with Vista Ult 64 bit

BoH, Photographer

I'm shopping for a new notebook and looked at an HP DV6675US with Vista
Ultimate 64 bit; 4GB RAM. I use the computer for photo editing with
Photoshop, Lightroom and Pro Show Gold.

I like the idea of getting 4 GB of RAM but am concerned about compatibility
problems I've heard about with the 64 bit OS. I've heard that I need the 64
bit OS to be able to use over 2 GB of RAM with Photoshop.

Am I stepping into a mine field if I get the notebook with Vista Ultimate 64
bit?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.

Barb Bowman

I've got 4 very happy x64 Ultimate notebooks. One is used for photo
editing. Photoshop runs very well. I don't use the other two so
can't comment.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Dominic Payer

Your programs will work perfectly well under 64-bit Vista, as I'm sure you
know. A 64-bit OS will let you use all 4GB of the RAM - assuming the HP BIOS
can be, and is, set appropriately. The extra usable 0.5GB or thereabouts
compared to 32-bit Vista is not likely to make a significant difference in
practice.

As a photographer you need to check whether your camera system can be
controlled and updated via 64-bit Vista as not all the major brands provide
64-bit compatible software. Some only support 32-bit Vista.

Also, while any current photo printer is likely to have an x64 Vista driver,
if you want a RIP not all are yet available in 64-bit versions.

Any problems are likely to be with hardware and its associated drivers, and
you might be using some unusual hardware which does not have x64 drivers.

"BoH, Photographer" <BoH, (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...