Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > laptop to network

laptop to network

Don

First I apologize if this sounds dumb. I am completely new to wireless.

I have an existing wired network of 4 computers (using BNC and thin coax)
that I would like to be able to access from my laptop. The laptop has
built-in 802.11b/g wireless. What do I need to connect to my existing
network? I do not care about any internet sharing. Do I need a router or
can I just use a USB wireless adapter in one of the Win XP machines on the
network?

I tried a router (D-Link DI-524) that was recommended at Future Shop but
couldn't get it to work and it killed my existing wired network connections.

Malke

Don wrote:

> First I apologize if this sounds dumb. I am completely new to
> wireless.
>
> I have an existing wired network of 4 computers (using BNC and thin
> coax)
> that I would like to be able to access from my laptop. The laptop has
> built-in 802.11b/g wireless. What do I need to connect to my existing
> network? I do not care about any internet sharing. Do I need a
> router or can I just use a USB wireless adapter in one of the Win XP
> machines on the network?
>
> I tried a router (D-Link DI-524) that was recommended at Future Shop
> but couldn't get it to work and it killed my existing wired network
> connections.

Add a wireless access point to the router. Here is a good site that
explains equipment, etc. Naturally you don't need to buy Linksys
hardware; it is just that the site explains things clearly.

Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Don

"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O%23Cg3X%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don wrote:
>
>> First I apologize if this sounds dumb. I am completely new to
>> wireless.
>>
>> I have an existing wired network of 4 computers (using BNC and thin
>> coax)
>> that I would like to be able to access from my laptop. The laptop has
>> built-in 802.11b/g wireless. What do I need to connect to my existing
>> network? I do not care about any internet sharing. Do I need a
>> router or can I just use a USB wireless adapter in one of the Win XP
>> machines on the network?
>>
>> I tried a router (D-Link DI-524) that was recommended at Future Shop
>> but couldn't get it to work and it killed my existing wired network
>> connections.

> Add a wireless access point to the router. Here is a good site that
> explains equipment, etc. Naturally you don't need to buy Linksys
> hardware; it is just that the site explains things clearly.
>
> Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w
>
> Malke

Thanks. I saw that link before but it didn't answer my basic question.

DO I REALLY NEED A ROUTER? They seem more designed to share internet
connections which I do not want.

Is a USB Wireless adapter enough?

Malke

Don wrote:

> "Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:O%23Cg3X%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Don wrote:
>>
>>> First I apologize if this sounds dumb. I am completely new to
>>> wireless.
>>>
>>> I have an existing wired network of 4 computers (using BNC and thin
>>> coax)
>>> that I would like to be able to access from my laptop. The laptop
>>> has
>>> built-in 802.11b/g wireless. What do I need to connect to my
>>> existing
>>> network? I do not care about any internet sharing. Do I need a
>>> router or can I just use a USB wireless adapter in one of the Win XP
>>> machines on the network?
>>>
>>> I tried a router (D-Link DI-524) that was recommended at Future Shop
>>> but couldn't get it to work and it killed my existing wired network
>>> connections.

> Thanks. I saw that link before but it didn't answer my basic question.
>
> DO I REALLY NEED A ROUTER? They seem more designed to share internet
> connections which I do not want.
>
> Is a USB Wireless adapter enough?

How are your 4 computers wired? I just assumed you already had a router.
I don't know what "BNC" means. If you are using just a hub/switch to
create an internal network, this article might be useful:

Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a
Router - MVP Barb Bowman
http://tinyurl.com/2zkon (link for above)

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Don

"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23113Hu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don wrote:
>

>> "Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:O%23Cg3X%(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Thanks. I saw that link before but it didn't answer my basic question.
>>
>> DO I REALLY NEED A ROUTER? They seem more designed to share internet
>> connections which I do not want.
>>
>> Is a USB Wireless adapter enough?

> How are your 4 computers wired? I just assumed you already had a router.
> I don't know what "BNC" means. If you are using just a hub/switch to
> create an internal network, this article might be useful:
>
> Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a
> Router - MVP Barb Bowman
> http://tinyurl.com/2zkon (link for above)
>
> Malke

The computers are connected like so: A------>B-------->C--------->D
The thin coax cable goes from one computer to the next and connects to each
computer using a BNC Connector. Each end computer has a terminating
resistor. There is no hub or switch involved. It's been this way for at
least 10 years although I have replaced computers over the years. I simply
move the old network card from the old computer to the new one.

The article above looks interesting. Do you know if the USB adapter can
replace the network card she's talking about installing in the host
computer? I don't think I have an extrra slot for another network card.

Thanks for your attemps to help a poor sole.

GTS

Wow! It's a long time since I've seen a network using BNC connectors and
coax. Assuming your NIC's also have RJ-45 ports, you really would be better
off to use a wireless router and connect your wired computers by UTP
Ethernet cables to the router. (The DI-524 is a good router that will work
fine if properly configured.) If this isn't practical for you because of
wiring considerations, you could add a wireless adaptor to one of the
desktop machines and establish an ad-hoc connection to that machine from the
laptop. If you bridge the wired and wireless connections in that machine I
believe it should give you access to the rest of the network from the
laptop.
--

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uir3HS%(E-Mail Removed)...
> First I apologize if this sounds dumb. I am completely new to wireless.
>
> I have an existing wired network of 4 computers (using BNC and thin coax)
> that I would like to be able to access from my laptop. The laptop has
> built-in 802.11b/g wireless. What do I need to connect to my existing
> network? I do not care about any internet sharing. Do I need a router or
> can I just use a USB wireless adapter in one of the Win XP machines on the
> network?
>
> I tried a router (D-Link DI-524) that was recommended at Future Shop but
> couldn't get it to work and it killed my existing wired network
> connections.

smackedass

> I don't know what "BNC" means. If you are using just a hub/switch to
> create an internal network, this article might be useful:

BNC=British Naval Connector, aka Bayonet Neil-Concelman, depending upon who
you believe. Don't see them very often, any more...

http://searchnetworking.techtarget.c...211681,00.html

Don

The wireless network adapter in one of the desktop machines seems to be
exactly what I want. Now does this have to be a card type network adapter
or will a usb adapter (ie: DLINK DWL-G132) work just as well.

Thanks for your help. (I hope to retire soon so I don't want to
replace/update the entire network)

"GTS" <x> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wow! It's a long time since I've seen a network using BNC connectors and
> coax. Assuming your NIC's also have RJ-45 ports, you really would be
> better off to use a wireless router and connect your wired computers by
> UTP Ethernet cables to the router. (The DI-524 is a good router that
> will work fine if properly configured.) If this isn't practical for you
> because of wiring considerations, you could add a wireless adaptor to one
> of the desktop machines and establish an ad-hoc connection to that machine
> from the laptop. If you bridge the wired and wireless connections in that
> machine I believe it should give you access to the rest of the network
> from the laptop.
> --
>
> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uir3HS%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> First I apologize if this sounds dumb. I am completely new to wireless.
>>
>> I have an existing wired network of 4 computers (using BNC and thin coax)
>> that I would like to be able to access from my laptop. The laptop has
>> built-in 802.11b/g wireless. What do I need to connect to my existing
>> network? I do not care about any internet sharing. Do I need a router
>> or can I just use a USB wireless adapter in one of the Win XP machines on
>> the network?
>>
>> I tried a router (D-Link DI-524) that was recommended at Future Shop but
>> couldn't get it to work and it killed my existing wired network
>> connections.

smackedass

Don,

First of all, you don't mention what OS those 4 computers are running...was
there an inference there about XP?

Second of all, BNC and "thin coax" aren't exactly state-of-the-art
technology. I don't think that they're true Ethernet, though my A+ days are
spotty in my brain...wait, this just in, BNC is 10 Base 2 Ethernet, which
one doesn't really hear much about these days...
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.c...211681,00.html

Thirdly, the network schema that you describe...A-------B-------C-------D is
known as a Bus Network, something else not commonly seen these days. The
big disadvantage to a Bus Network is that if one of the links (cable,
connector, card, etc.), on any one of those nodes, you've got a lot of
troubleshooting to do to figure out what went wrong. And, when mixing these
older, and newer technologies, there's a lot that can go wrong.

If you're a hobbyist who has lots of time on his hands, go for it, research
this to the bone, if you figure it out, I'd be interested in knowing. You
seem like someone who appreciates a challenge.

HowEVER, if time is of the essence, and you need to have a stable, efficient
network, start out with 100MBS capable network cards and Cat5 cabling, it
will probably be much easier.

Also, having a wireless router (Linksys makes great products, and offers
great tech support via phone, even if their accents aren't so common) will
make life a lot easier for you also.

Best Wishes,

smackedass

Don

Hi there:

I have two Win98 machines and two XP machines on the network. I probably
didn't connect the router properly. What I did was connect it with the
Ethernet cable to one of the XP machines. It seemed to disable the old
network as I could no longer see or map any of the other computers. My
laptop said it connected to the wireless network but I couln't see the XP
Desktop or connect to any of its drives.

I've now returned the router and am considering the wireless network adapter
route as suggested by GTS.
Please see my reply to him/her.

I may be working on this for a while. I didn't realize I was such an
antique.