Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > why do home theaters go snap, crackle, pop?

why do home theaters go snap, crackle, pop?

PapaBear

I've tried a couple of home theaters to play my DVD movies, and both of them
go snap, crackle, pop occasionally. This happens even if they are turned off
or in standby mode, so long as they are still plugged in. There's some kind
of static emitted from the speaker(s) at random times. With my first home
theater (Coby DVD-755) it was extremely loud. With my current one (Durabrand
HT-3917) it's usually not loud or disturbing, but still noticable. I'm
talking like it happens maybe once every few hours, not as a regular thing,
and the static/noise only lasts for a second or two. I've read about it and
tried the suggestions, but it doesn't help - use a grounded outlet, and a
different outlet/circuit for the home theater. Ideas?

Mark Jones

PapaBear wrote:
> I've tried a couple of home theaters to play my DVD movies, and both
> of them go snap, crackle, pop occasionally. This happens even if they
> are turned off or in standby mode, so long as they are still plugged
> in. There's some kind of static emitted from the speaker(s) at random
> times. With my first home theater (Coby DVD-755) it was extremely
> loud. With my current one (Durabrand HT-3917) it's usually not loud
> or disturbing, but still noticable. I'm talking like it happens maybe
> once every few hours, not as a regular thing, and the static/noise
> only lasts for a second or two. I've read about it and tried the
> suggestions, but it doesn't help - use a grounded outlet, and a
> different outlet/circuit for the home theater. Ideas?

Sounds like something in your house is creating voltage
spikes or audio frequency noise on your electrical power.

You are probably going to have to install a power filter
on the AC that is powering your amplifier.