Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is Lumix Leica real Leica?

Is Lumix Leica real Leica?

John Navas

I've now found what would seem to be the definitive story.
The original page is missing (for the moment at least),
but is archived at
<http://web.archive.org/web/20070624160310/http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/popup/behind_the_scenes/vol3.html>
or <http://tinyurl.com/3ble8x>
In short:
* Lumix Leica lenses are designed by Panasonic
* Designs are reviewed and accepted or rejected by Leica
* Leica demands Leica level performance for acceptance
* Leica specifies manufacturing quality control
* Lumix Leica lenses exhibit Leica level performance
I personally think that makes them "real" Leica lenses,
but as always, YMMV.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

Dennis Pogson

<http://web.archive.org/web/200706241....jp/pavc/globa
l/lumix/popup/behind_the_scenes/vol3.html>
> or <http://tinyurl.com/3ble8x>
> In short:
> * Lumix Leica lenses are designed by Panasonic
> * Designs are reviewed and accepted or rejected by Leica
> * Leica demands Leica level performance for acceptance
> * Leica specifies manufacturing quality control
> * Lumix Leica lenses exhibit Leica level performance
> I personally think that makes them "real" Leica lenses,
> but as always, YMMV.

As with cars and laptops, you don't know where they are made, but the badge
on them is, and always should be, a guarantee of top quality workmanship and
superior design technology.

DP