Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Visual Studio 2008 Hardware requirements

Visual Studio 2008 Hardware requirements

I am looking to purchase a laptop and wonder what I should be looking for to
increase the speed of Visual Studio 2008, it seems very slow on the pc I
have now (Pentium 4 CPU 3 ghz, 1gig ram).

For the cpu, I'm looking atthe Intel Core 2 Duos, and am wondering what
difference would I see between the following choices (for a $75 difference
in price, is it worth it)
2.0 ghz/800mhz fsb, 2mb cache
2.2 ghz/800mhz fsb, 4mb cache

Or is memory more important (4 gb at an extra $500???)

Thanks for your help. I apologize if this is not the right forum but you
all seem to know a lot about a lot! Please point me to the correct
newsgroup if necessary. Thanks so much!

Alexey Smirnov

On Nov 17, 6:43 pm, <tester> wrote:
> I am looking to purchase a laptop and wonder what I should be looking for to
> increase the speed of Visual Studio 2008, it seems very slow on the pc I
> have now (Pentium 4 CPU 3 ghz, 1gig ram).
>
> For the cpu, I'm looking atthe Intel Core 2 Duos, and am wondering what
> difference would I see between the following choices (for a $75 difference
> in price, is it worth it)
> 2.0 ghz/800mhz fsb, 2mb cache
> 2.2 ghz/800mhz fsb, 4mb cache
>
> Or is memory more important (4 gb at an extra $500???)
>
> Thanks for your help. I apologize if this is not the right forum but you
> all seem to know a lot about a lot! Please point me to the correct
> newsgroup if necessary. Thanks so much!

Visual Studio 2008 Beta 2 Hardware Requirements:

Minimum: 1.6 GHz CPU, 384 MB RAM, 1024x768 display, 5400 RPM hard
drive
Recommended: 2.2 GHZ or higher CPU, 1024 MB or more RAM, 1280x1024
display, 7200 RPM or higher hard drive
Running on Windows Vista: 2.4 GHz CPU, 768 MB RAM
1.22 GB of available disk space for the minimum installation
2 GB of available disk space for the full installation

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...b/VSReadme.htm

I have a VS.NET 2008 installed on a laptop with 1.6 GHz 2 GB RAM

Mark Fitzpatrick

Probably your biggest drawback on your current PC is the 1 GB of ram. 2 GB
works best since you can easily eat up 1 GB from the OS and Visual Studio
(depending on what you're doing in VS of course).

The cache is very important for performance. The bigger the cache, the lest
the processor has to go out to memory to swap information. The cache is part
of the CPU core die so that means the access is very efficient. When going
to regular RAM, there's some latency as you have to go outside the processor
to communicate with the memory controller then to the memory (not to mention
that the distance between them is far greater than an on-die cache, even
though the distance is small, it's a huge difference compared to being on
the die).

The Core2 duo is a fantastic chip from what I've seen and heard and
definitely better performance than the old P4 series, which was plagued by
thermal problems.

--

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick

<tester> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am looking to purchase a laptop and wonder what I should be looking for
>to increase the speed of Visual Studio 2008, it seems very slow on the pc I
>have now (Pentium 4 CPU 3 ghz, 1gig ram).
>
> For the cpu, I'm looking atthe Intel Core 2 Duos, and am wondering what
> difference would I see between the following choices (for a $75 difference
> in price, is it worth it)
> 2.0 ghz/800mhz fsb, 2mb cache
> 2.2 ghz/800mhz fsb, 4mb cache
>
> Or is memory more important (4 gb at an extra $500???)
>
> Thanks for your help. I apologize if this is not the right forum but you
> all seem to know a lot about a lot! Please point me to the correct
> newsgroup if necessary. Thanks so much!

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

You have this covered overall, but look at the drive speed, as well. It will
impact your development.

Memory: At least 2 GB

Hard Drive: As fast as you can afford. A 5400 drive is pretty poor when
working with VS. I would say a 7200 RPM drive is a minimum

Processor: I would go at least 2.2 GHz. The Core 2 Duos are sweet for
development

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA