Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Equipment needed for an ISDN lab setup?

Equipment needed for an ISDN lab setup?

JohnH.

Hi,
I'm studying for the CCNA and I am having a great deal of trouble
with ISDN and BRI. I think it would help me to have some physical
Cisco ISDN/BRI hardware and actually set it up, get it working, and
then intentionally misconfigure and break various pieces to see what
that looks like from the router console.

On eBay I have found Cisco 2503 routers w/ BRI interfaces. I have
also seen Cisco routers with NT1 interfaces. Can either of these be
configured back-to-back with a specific cable? Or, can you configure a
third router to simulate an ISDN switch, like you can configure a
router to simulate a frame relay switch? I have several spare 2501s
and 2514s.

If I can get pointed in the right conceptual direction I can research
it from there. I'm just not clear on the components needed for an
ISDN LAB.

Thanks,
John

Merv

You cannot connect Cisco routers back to back on ISDN ports, you need a
very basic ISDN switch emulator.

I have successfully used the Emutel Sole 2 BRI ISDN from Arca
Technologies when I created a CCIE practice lab in a past life. It
functioned flawlessly

see http://www.arca-technologies.com for details

ask them if they have a discount for Cisco students.

JohnH.

Thanks.

JohnH.

Hmmm... after looking for these on the web, ISDN emulators seem to be
very exepensive, around $1,000US give or take. The few that were on
eBay were also more than I really want to spend. I was hoping for a
$50 +/- solution because I am working on a budget. Is this just not
realistic. I have even looked for a software and card solutions for a
PC and not found one. Anybody got any suggestions? Or, is the
hardward ISDN switch emulator really my only option? Thanks, John

Bob Goddard

JohnH. wrote:

> Hmmm... after looking for these on the web, ISDN emulators seem to be
> very exepensive, around $1,000US give or take. The few that were on
> eBay were also more than I really want to spend. I was hoping for a
> $50 +/- solution because I am working on a budget. Is this just not
> realistic. I have even looked for a software and card solutions for a
> PC and not found one. Anybody got any suggestions? Or, is the
> hardward ISDN switch emulator really my only option? Thanks, John

2 cheap solutions:
1. Elmeg C48.net, probably around $400 plus any extras. This is a
proper ISDN pbx
2. Linux/BSD, Asterisk and a cheap TE capable ISDN card. The ISDN
card would cost around $20. Asterisk is free, PC whatever.

As for getting somethings for $50, you must be joking! unless you
have a spare PC.

http://www.mailtrap.org.uk/

anybody43@hotmail.com

JohnH. wrote:
> Hmmm... after looking for these on the web, ISDN emulators seem to be
> very exepensive, around $1,000US give or take. The few that were on
> eBay were also more than I really want to spend. I was hoping for a

I have not done this however I have seen people say on this group that
an old small PBX is the cheapest way to do this.

Also:-

Aaron Leonard (who does not appear to make things up)
published on this group recently:

ISDN BRI crossover (for BRI back-to-back connection):
RJ-45 ----- RJ-45
3 ----- 4
4 ----- 3
5 ----- 6
6 ----- 5

What you can do with this I don't know.

Merv

Apparently Cisco has a ISDN BRI card that will offer emulation of ISDN
emulation; I was not aware of that.

"Beginning with release 12.1.(3)X1, Cisco offers emulation of the ISDN
network and with the newer VIC-2BRI-NT/TE card, support for phantom
power generation."

see
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788..._port_cfg.html

In that article there is mention of a BRI cross-over cable

I see reburnished VIC-2BRI-NT on the net for $800.00

But I believe that my original statement to still be true - that being
that Cisco router regular ISDN BRI ports cannot be cabled back-to-back,
crossover cable or not.

Horst Wagner

Hi, (you may recognize that I removed Antw
the VIC-2BRI-NT/TE is a voice interface card and will only function on voice
enabled routers.
That means it works only on routers having DSPīs (like PVDM-x) or having a
voive-network-module like nm-2V and so on.
Also having this I long ago tested it and it only worked with ISDN voice
call.
So if ISDN service type data appears in D-channel it didnīt work.

Finally I think to use Voice-modules as a ISDN-simulator is too expensive
and doesnīt work in all environments.

Aaron Leonard

As Horst noted, although the VIC-2BRI-NT/TE does support network side
BRI, it does not support data applications.

You CAN connect Cisco routers back to back on PRI (T1 or E1) ports.

In any case, I don't think that either the VIC-2BRI-NT/TE or routers
with PRI ports will get down to the OP's $50 target price.

Aaron

---

~
~ I have successfully used the Emutel Sole 2 BRI ISDN from Arca
~ Technologies when I created a CCIE practice lab in a past life. It
~ functioned flawlessly
~
~
~ see http://www.arca-technologies.com for details
~
~ ask them if they have a discount for Cisco students.

I'm selling off my Cisco lab. If you're interested in getting a cert, need production/lab equip., check my link! joey024@aol.com Cisco 1 01-20-2008 11:13 PM
pc with isdn modem not connecte isdn 1841 router with isdn module sync Cisco 0 06-05-2007 10:10 AM
Lab Challenge 8 - OSPF lab 2 www.networking-forum.com Cisco 0 11-03-2005 04:13 AM
Lab Equipment for Sale Perry Cisco 0 01-03-2004 03:02 AM
cisco equipment donations for a public use lab Sameer Cisco 0 12-08-2003 05:26 PM

Advertisments