Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Service Pack 2 has disabled/deleted all my network places

Service Pack 2 has disabled/deleted all my network places

=?Utf-8?B?emlyZW50b24=?=

I had established a home wireless network between two WinXP computers, and a
Win98 machine. One XP machine was running SP2, and the problem computer, was
upgraded to SP2 yesterday.

Previously, the two XP machines could communicate through their wireless
router, and the Win 98 machine by ethernet cable through the router. All
computers were able to share files.

Now my network places on the problem machine only shows "My Websites on
MSN". Conducting a search for the other 2 computers gives nothing and the
same when searching for this machine from the other two. View workgroup
computers gives "Mshome is not accesible. etc etc"

I have a wireless network connection running, and can still connect to the
internet, just no other station on my network. All other stations are working
perfectly.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless network adapter, but it has
made no difference. The adaptor is a D-Link DWL-650M Super G MIMO PCMCIA card.

Everything worked fine until I used Windows Update to install Service Pack
2. Cannot System Restore to a pre SP2 state. Not sure if its associated, but
upon startup I get a Device stopped "This application is not supported by
this OS" message. Not able to determine what device or application.

Could someone give me a hand or advice on getting access permission or
regaining network places access to shared drives on the other stations?

smackedass

Become familiar with the Windows XP SP2 Firewall, and see if you can add an
Exception.

smackedass