Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Excellent sci-fi novel featuring Python

Excellent sci-fi novel featuring Python

Wade Leftwich

I'm about halfway through Charles Stross' excellent new novel,
"Halting State". It's set in Edinburgh in the year 2018, and one of
the main characters is a game programmer whose primary language is
something called "Python 3000".

The cover features blurbs from William Gibson, Vernor Vinge, John
Carnack, and Bruce Scheier.

What, they couldn't pop for an advance copy for Guido?

-- Wade Leftwich
Ithaca, NY

Wade Leftwich

On Nov 17, 10:37 am, Wade Leftwich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm about halfway through Charles Stross' excellent new novel,
> "Halting State". It's set in Edinburgh in the year 2018, and one of
> the main characters is a game programmer whose primary language is
> something called "Python 3000".
>
> The cover features blurbs from William Gibson, Vernor Vinge, John
> Carnack, and Bruce Scheier.
>
> What, they couldn't pop for an advance copy for Guido?
>
> -- Wade Leftwich
> Ithaca, NY

Damn keyboard. The last two endorsers are John Carmack and Bruce
Schneier.

Paul McGuire

On Nov 17, 9:37 am, Wade Leftwich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm about halfway through Charles Stross' excellent new novel,
> "Halting State". It's set in Edinburgh in the year 2018, and one of
> the main characters is a game programmer whose primary language is
> something called "Python 3000".

I should hope that by 2018, Python 4000 would be more cutting-edge.
Or is the protagonist struggling with backward-compatibility with a
Python version that would be nearly 10 years old already?

-- Paul

Stefan Behnel

Paul McGuire wrote:
> On Nov 17, 9:37 am, Wade Leftwich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I'm about halfway through Charles Stross' excellent new novel,
>> "Halting State". It's set in Edinburgh in the year 2018, and one of
>> the main characters is a game programmer whose primary language is
>> something called "Python 3000".

> I should hope that by 2018, Python 4000 would be more cutting-edge.
> Or is the protagonist struggling with backward-compatibility with a
> Python version that would be nearly 10 years old already?

I think it was just a conservative guess that Python 3000 would be out by then.

Stefan

Jarek Zgoda

Paul McGuire pisze:

>> I'm about halfway through Charles Stross' excellent new novel,
>> "Halting State". It's set in Edinburgh in the year 2018, and one of
>> the main characters is a game programmer whose primary language is
>> something called "Python 3000".

> I should hope that by 2018, Python 4000 would be more cutting-edge.
> Or is the protagonist struggling with backward-compatibility with a
> Python version that would be nearly 10 years old already?

Or, the author questions availability of P3k in 2008. It's not that hard
to believe, since Python 3000 was a mythical monster (not even like Perl
6) until recently. If the book was written around 2005 or even 2004...

--
Jarek Zgoda
http://zgodowie.org/

Simon Brunning

On Nov 17, 2007 4:25 PM, Paul McGuire <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Nov 17, 9:37 am, Wade Leftwich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I'm about halfway through Charles Stross' excellent new novel,
> > "Halting State". It's set in Edinburgh in the year 2018, and one of
> > the main characters is a game programmer whose primary language is
> > something called "Python 3000".

> I should hope that by 2018, Python 4000 would be more cutting-edge.
> Or is the protagonist struggling with backward-compatibility with a
> Python version that would be nearly 10 years old already?

If the whole 3.n series is called "Python 3000", then it's very
plausible. I can see Python 3.7 or 3.8 being the latest version in
2018.

--
Cheers,
Simon B.