Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco Lab & Free Cisco Software

Cisco Lab & Free Cisco Software

Folks:

Recently I bought a used CCIE CISCO lab from EBAY. To save money I did NOT
buy NEW routers directly from CISCO.
My plan now is to start the CISCO certification process by preparing for
both CCDA and CCNA. Next, I intend to move
up to CCNP & CCIE. Here are a few questions:

* Does this purchase entitle me to MORE CISCO resources than what
is available with a Guest login ?

* What CISCO login category is available to me as a result of my
EBAY purchase of used equipment ?

* Am I entitled to IOS updates ? If so, where are these
available ?

I am always on the lookout for (FREE) CISCO software. But the CISCO web
site is so very huge that I might be missing
some freely available software. So far I am aware of ConfigMaker.

* I would appreciate any help to locate other FREE Cisco software
for Cisco routers, switches, etc

Thanks,
John.

jcottingim

Unfortunately, you're purchase of "used CCIE Cisco lab" on eBay does
NOT entitle you to any higher level of access to Cisco's web site.

You are NOT entitled to any IOS updates from Cisco.

....don't shoot the messenger.

Phillip Remaker

> Recently I bought a used CCIE CISCO lab from EBAY.

Who is not an authorized Cisco reseller.

> To save money I did NOT buy NEW routers directly from CISCO.

And thereby did not get any Cisco benefits.

> * Does this purchase entitle me to MORE CISCO resources than
> what is available with a Guest login ?

Nope. Not unless you buy a service contract on the devices.

> * What CISCO login category is available to me as a result of my
> EBAY purchase of used equipment ?

Guest.

> * Am I entitled to IOS updates ?

No.

> I am always on the lookout for (FREE) CISCO software.

No free Cisco software, with one exception. When a security vulnerability
is announced, you can request a software update for that fix. See
www.cisco.com/go/psirt.

> So far I am aware of ConfigMaker.

Run screaming from that.

Walter Roberson

In article <TQoHf.11929$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Phillip Remaker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Recently I bought a used CCIE CISCO lab from EBAY.

>> I am always on the lookout for (FREE) CISCO software.

>No free Cisco software, with one exception. When a security vulnerability
>is announced, you can request a software update for that fix.

However, if you are not the registered owner of the device
and you have to go through the TAC to get the update (because
the VAR you did not use cannot supply the software to you), then
the TAC will refuse the upgrade unless you "relicense" the device.

So, unless you "relicense" you don't even get IOS security updates.

The only exception is that for *some* catalyst switches, software
updates are free and do not require CCO registration.