Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Port 1723 Vulnerability?

Port 1723 Vulnerability?

Chris Burson

I just did a security check (from the Symantec website) of our little WLAN
at home. It reported that "Port 1723 was open to attack" (or similar).

The Symantec knowledge base was hopeless, so here I am! I've never opened
this port, so what is the risk here - or are Symantec just trying to sell me
something? (There was a link for their internet security product.)

Cheers,

Chris

(P.S. I'm running WinXP SP2 with a Vigor WiFi ADSL Router, with an Xbox
connected via a D-Link bridge.)

Sooner Al

Well, TCP Port 1723 is used for PPTP VPN. If your not running a PPTP VPN server on your network then
close the port. Otherwise use a *STRONG* password for users that have access to your PPTP VPN
server...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Chris Burson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ulLdve%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just did a security check (from the Symantec website) of our little WLAN
> at home. It reported that "Port 1723 was open to attack" (or similar).
>
> The Symantec knowledge base was hopeless, so here I am! I've never opened
> this port, so what is the risk here - or are Symantec just trying to sell me
> something? (There was a link for their internet security product.)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris
>
> (P.S. I'm running WinXP SP2 with a Vigor WiFi ADSL Router, with an Xbox
> connected via a D-Link bridge.)

Chris Burson

Well, since I've never used VPN (and wouldn't know how to), I'll take your
advise and just close the port.

Many thanks for the reply, Al,

Chris

"Sooner Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
:
: Well, TCP Port 1723 is used for PPTP VPN. If your not running a PPTP VPN
server on your network then
: close the port. Otherwise use a *STRONG* password for users that have
access to your PPTP VPN
: server...
:
: --
: Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
:
: >

Port 1723 being blocked Adrian Cisco 3 06-23-2009 03:41 PM
Open for Windows 2000 server VPN (1723) - HOW-TO henrikcj@gmail.com Cisco 1 05-26-2007 02:31 PM
Overhead of 4-port over 2-port SRAM John T. Goodman VHDL 0 01-25-2005 04:27 PM
looking to download episode 1723 of the Bill Craig Sutton NZ Computing 0 06-26-2004 01:09 PM
about "match ip rtp starting-port-number port-range" Weiguang Shi Cisco 1 10-25-2003 07:14 AM

Advertisments