Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD-R Discs that will only work on stand-alone recorder...Why?

Reply
Thread Tools

DVD-R Discs that will only work on stand-alone recorder...Why?

 
 
ChairmanOfTheBored
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2007
On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 08:29:16 GMT, Paul Heslop
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tarkus wrote:
>>
>> Paul Heslop wrote:
>> > actually, on a little google I just found this and it's a bit scary,
>> > but hopefully doesn't apply in this case
>> >
>> > http://www.tiktak-it.co.uk/acatalog/...D-R_Discs.html
>> >
>> > "TDK DVD-R - 4.7GB - 16x speed - box of 10 jewel cases. Ref: TDK-6153
>> > DVD-R47CBEC10: TDK high performance write once DVD minus discs
>> > (DVD-R). Box of 10 individual jewel cases. These single sided discs
>> > provide the standard 4.7GB data capacity and are rated 1x - 16x speed
>> > (ver 2.1 rev 6.0). It should be noted that use in incompatible
>> > recorders may lead to permanent damage to the recorder. The disc can
>> > store 4 hours of video capacity in EP mode (VHS quality) or 2 hours in
>> > SP mode (DVD quality)."

>>
>> Yes, that is scary indeed.
>>
>> OTOH, new burners are dirt cheap these days and don't have these issues.

>
>Yep. I held fire myself til very recently, til I could get a machine
>with all formats and 16X for a reasonable price.



You bought a whole machine? Have you ever opened a case, or installed
a drive yourself? The way you worded that sounds like you are one of
those dweebs that calls an electrician to get a light bulb changed.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul Heslop
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2007
ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

> >Yep. I held fire myself til very recently, til I could get a machine
> >with all formats and 16X for a reasonable price.

>
> You bought a whole machine? Have you ever opened a case, or installed
> a drive yourself? The way you worded that sounds like you are one of
> those dweebs that calls an electrician to get a light bulb changed.


:O) It's just the way I write, sometimes the correct word doesn't
arrive in time. I meant 'drive'

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul Heslop
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2007
"Mike S." wrote:

> >"TDK DVD-R - 4.7GB - 16x speed - box of 10 jewel cases. Ref: TDK-6153
> >DVD-R47CBEC10: TDK high performance write once DVD minus discs
> >(DVD-R). Box of 10 individual jewel cases. These single sided discs
> >provide the standard 4.7GB data capacity and are rated 1x - 16x speed
> >(ver 2.1 rev 6.0). It should be noted that use in incompatible
> >recorders may lead to permanent damage to the recorder. The disc can
> >store 4 hours of video capacity in EP mode (VHS quality) or 2 hours in
> >SP mode (DVD quality)."

>
> This comment refers to a particular ancient Pioneer DVD-R drive, as I
> remember; and that issue had long since been addressed by a firmware
> update.


ah, that's a relief.
--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Heslop
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2007
ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

> Since a player decides it max burn capacity, I find it VERY HARD to
> believe that the disc medium can produce a scenario where the
> player/burner has a catastrophic failure due to an attempt to burn ANY
> burnable disc in its library of compatible mediums.


I agree, it seems quite over the top, but it is just something I found
while searching for any mention of problems with the discs.

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Heslop
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2007
Herbert John \"Jackie\" Gleason wrote:
>


> Bullshit. A higher "speed of disc" will burn at a slower speed in ANY
> burner.
>
> You need to "cope with" keeping your bullshit to yourself.


Oh great, an angry person for no good reason. I will state again I
have seen it mentioned, even on the external casing of discs, that
some drives may need a firmware update to use the discs. I was making
a suggestion, and it certainly isn't cast in stone. BTW, where were
YOU and where is YOUR answer to the problem?

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Herbert John \Jackie\ Gleason
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2007
On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 18:23:24 GMT, Paul Heslop
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Herbert John \"Jackie\" Gleason wrote:
>>

>
>> Bullshit. A higher "speed of disc" will burn at a slower speed in ANY
>> burner.
>>
>> You need to "cope with" keeping your bullshit to yourself.

>
>Oh great, an angry person for no good reason.


I am not angry, and there is nothing angry about what I wrote.

> I will state again I
>have seen it mentioned, even on the external casing of discs, that
>some drives may need a firmware update to use the discs.


At their MAX speed, NOT at a lower speed.

> I was making
>a suggestion, and it certainly isn't cast in stone.


Whatever.

> BTW, where were
>YOU and where is YOUR answer to the problem?


Drives get old. Laser heads sag, fall out of calibration and refuse to
read disc data, much less the disc type indicator on the hub. I have
several old drives that work perfectly if they are simply inverted
(turned upside down). I am not saying that is what his problem is though,
nor that operating a drive inverted is a solution. Merely that laser
head calibration may be the cause IF the drive is very old, or has a
large number of operating hours on it.

Answer? Do not attempt to use those discs in that drive.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Heslop
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2007
Herbert John \"Jackie\" Gleason wrote:
>
> On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 18:23:24 GMT, Paul Heslop
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Herbert John \"Jackie\" Gleason wrote:
> >>

> >
> >> Bullshit. A higher "speed of disc" will burn at a slower speed in ANY
> >> burner.
> >>
> >> You need to "cope with" keeping your bullshit to yourself.

> >
> >Oh great, an angry person for no good reason.

>
> I am not angry, and there is nothing angry about what I wrote.
>

Oh, could be something to do with "You need to "cope with" keeping
your bullshit to yourself." but then I am a sensitive kind of guy.

> > I will state again I
> >have seen it mentioned, even on the external casing of discs, that
> >some drives may need a firmware update to use the discs.

>
> At their MAX speed, NOT at a lower speed.
>

The OP didn't really give us that much to work with, I don't think.

> > I was making
> >a suggestion, and it certainly isn't cast in stone.

>
> Whatever.
>

I hope you rolled your eyes and put your hand up when you said that
:O)

> > BTW, where were
> >YOU and where is YOUR answer to the problem?

>
> Drives get old. Laser heads sag, fall out of calibration and refuse to
> read disc data, much less the disc type indicator on the hub. I have
> several old drives that work perfectly if they are simply inverted
> (turned upside down). I am not saying that is what his problem is though,
> nor that operating a drive inverted is a solution. Merely that laser
> head calibration may be the cause IF the drive is very old, or has a
> large number of operating hours on it.
>
> Answer? Do not attempt to use those discs in that drive.


Pretty much. It really does help when we know what the drive is etc.

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Herbert John \Jackie\ Gleason
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2007
On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 20:34:20 GMT, Paul Heslop
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > I will state again I
>> >have seen it mentioned, even on the external casing of discs, that
>> >some drives may need a firmware update to use the discs.

>>
>> At their MAX speed, NOT at a lower speed.
>>

>The OP didn't really give us that much to work with, I don't think.



Use your brain. No drive has ANY problem with any speed disc of a
greater speed than the drive is capable of burning, so YES, we were
"given" all the information we ****ing needed.

Come back when the amount of common sense you possess is larger than
that which would fit on the tip of a molecular probe.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Johnnie Leung
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2007

"Herbert John "Jackie" Gleason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Bullshit. A higher "speed of disc" will burn at a slower speed in ANY
> burner.


Oh yeah? Read
http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-...ce_e/qa_e.html and
http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/content/su...rt/update.html for yourself.

JL

 
Reply With Quote
 
Derek
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2007
"Johnnie Leung" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Oh yeah? Read
> http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-...ce_e/qa_e.html and
> http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/content/su...rt/update.html for

yourself.

You're joking right?
He can't even remember his own name and finished up posting as both
"Herbert John "Jackie" Gleason"
and
"ChairmanOfTheBored"

Appropriatly he posts via cox.net


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
problem in running a basic code in python 3.3.0 that includes HTML file Satabdi Mukherjee Python 1 04-04-2013 07:48 PM
Playing Blu-ray discs in x64 Corel WinDVD 10 does *not* work Jim Windows 64bit 19 06-15-2008 06:03 AM
8X discs only writing at 4X? Kenny Computer Support 1 12-05-2004 06:45 PM
Stoalen Discs Patty Martin MCSE 13 09-10-2004 12:58 PM
Student Materials Compact Discs for 70-290 Nelson MCSE 0 09-12-2003 08:31 AM



Advertisments