Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD-R Discs that will only work on stand-alone recorder...Why?

DVD-R Discs that will only work on stand-alone recorder...Why?

dmcg

I recently purchased a spindle of TDK-R (16x) discs that are
unrecognizable on my PC and unburnable, using NERO, ROXIO and
imgburn. I'm running Windows XP, SP2. The discs work fine on my stand-
alone LITE-0N DVD recorder and I've since been able to burn TDK-R's,
from another spindle, on my PC.

Has anyone else run across this kind of problem or know of a reason
why this phenomenon might exist. Thanks in advance to whomever can
offer some insight.

D.

Paul Heslop

dmcg wrote:

> I recently purchased a spindle of TDK-R (16x) discs that are
> unrecognizable on my PC and unburnable, using NERO, ROXIO and
> imgburn. I'm running Windows XP, SP2. The discs work fine on my stand-
> alone LITE-0N DVD recorder and I've since been able to burn TDK-R's,
> from another spindle, on my PC.
>
> Has anyone else run across this kind of problem or know of a reason
> why this phenomenon might exist. Thanks in advance to whomever can
> offer some insight.
>
> D.

your burner may be incompatible or may need a firmware upgrade. If
it's an older one it may not be able to cope with the speed of the
discs without an upgrade. If you know the exact model of the burner
check the website for any firmware updates.

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look

Tarkus

Paul Heslop wrote:
> dmcg wrote:
>> I recently purchased a spindle of TDK-R (16x) discs that are
>> unrecognizable on my PC and unburnable, using NERO, ROXIO and
>> imgburn. I'm running Windows XP, SP2. The discs work fine on my stand-
>> alone LITE-0N DVD recorder and I've since been able to burn TDK-R's,
>> from another spindle, on my PC.
>>
>> Has anyone else run across this kind of problem or know of a reason
>> why this phenomenon might exist. Thanks in advance to whomever can
>> offer some insight.
>>
>> D.

> your burner may be incompatible or may need a firmware upgrade. If
> it's an older one it may not be able to cope with the speed of the
> discs without an upgrade.

Aren't all discs backwards compatible all the way to 1x? I don't see
where the speed of the discs is an issue. Their listed speeds are the
maximum, not the minimum.

Paul Heslop

Tarkus wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
> > dmcg wrote:
> >> I recently purchased a spindle of TDK-R (16x) discs that are
> >> unrecognizable on my PC and unburnable, using NERO, ROXIO and
> >> imgburn. I'm running Windows XP, SP2. The discs work fine on my stand-
> >> alone LITE-0N DVD recorder and I've since been able to burn TDK-R's,
> >> from another spindle, on my PC.
> >>
> >> Has anyone else run across this kind of problem or know of a reason
> >> why this phenomenon might exist. Thanks in advance to whomever can
> >> offer some insight.
> >>
> >> D.

> > your burner may be incompatible or may need a firmware upgrade. If
> > it's an older one it may not be able to cope with the speed of the
> > discs without an upgrade.

> Aren't all discs backwards compatible all the way to 1x? I don't see
> where the speed of the discs is an issue. Their listed speeds are the
> maximum, not the minimum.

I am sure I have seen it mentioned that 16X speed discs may not be
compatible with some drives which the firmware was not written for
16X. I may be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. :O)

actually, on a little google I just found this and it's a bit scary,
but hopefully doesn't apply in this case

http://www.tiktak-it.co.uk/acatalog/...D-R_Discs.html

"TDK DVD-R - 4.7GB - 16x speed - box of 10 jewel cases. Ref: TDK-6153
DVD-R47CBEC10: TDK high performance write once DVD minus discs
(DVD-R). Box of 10 individual jewel cases. These single sided discs
provide the standard 4.7GB data capacity and are rated 1x - 16x speed
(ver 2.1 rev 6.0). It should be noted that use in incompatible
recorders may lead to permanent damage to the recorder. The disc can
store 4 hours of video capacity in EP mode (VHS quality) or 2 hours in
SP mode (DVD quality)."

--

Paul Heslop wrote:
> actually, on a little google I just found this and it's a bit scary,
> but hopefully doesn't apply in this case
>
> http://www.tiktak-it.co.uk/acatalog/...D-R_Discs.html
>
> "TDK DVD-R - 4.7GB - 16x speed - box of 10 jewel cases. Ref: TDK-6153
> DVD-R47CBEC10: TDK high performance write once DVD minus discs
> (DVD-R). Box of 10 individual jewel cases. These single sided discs
> provide the standard 4.7GB data capacity and are rated 1x - 16x speed
> (ver 2.1 rev 6.0). It should be noted that use in incompatible
> recorders may lead to permanent damage to the recorder. The disc can
> store 4 hours of video capacity in EP mode (VHS quality) or 2 hours in
> SP mode (DVD quality)."

Yes, that is scary indeed.

OTOH, new burners are dirt cheap these days and don't have these issues.

Paul Heslop

Tarkus wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
> > actually, on a little google I just found this and it's a bit scary,
> > but hopefully doesn't apply in this case
> >
> > http://www.tiktak-it.co.uk/acatalog/...D-R_Discs.html
> >
> > "TDK DVD-R - 4.7GB - 16x speed - box of 10 jewel cases. Ref: TDK-6153
> > DVD-R47CBEC10: TDK high performance write once DVD minus discs
> > (DVD-R). Box of 10 individual jewel cases. These single sided discs
> > provide the standard 4.7GB data capacity and are rated 1x - 16x speed
> > (ver 2.1 rev 6.0). It should be noted that use in incompatible
> > recorders may lead to permanent damage to the recorder. The disc can
> > store 4 hours of video capacity in EP mode (VHS quality) or 2 hours in
> > SP mode (DVD quality)."

> Yes, that is scary indeed.
>
> OTOH, new burners are dirt cheap these days and don't have these issues.

Yep. I held fire myself til very recently, til I could get a machine
with all formats and 16X for a reasonable price.

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Mike S.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Paul Heslop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Tarkus wrote:
>>
>> Paul Heslop wrote:

>> > your burner may be incompatible or may need a firmware upgrade. If
>> > it's an older one it may not be able to cope with the speed of the
>> > discs without an upgrade.

>> Aren't all discs backwards compatible all the way to 1x? I don't see
>> where the speed of the discs is an issue. Their listed speeds are the
>> maximum, not the minimum.

>I am sure I have seen it mentioned that 16X speed discs may not be
>compatible with some drives which the firmware was not written for
>16X. I may be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. :O)
>
>actually, on a little google I just found this and it's a bit scary,
>but hopefully doesn't apply in this case
>
>http://www.tiktak-it.co.uk/acatalog/...D-R_Discs.html
>
>"TDK DVD-R - 4.7GB - 16x speed - box of 10 jewel cases. Ref: TDK-6153
>DVD-R47CBEC10: TDK high performance write once DVD minus discs
>(DVD-R). Box of 10 individual jewel cases. These single sided discs
>provide the standard 4.7GB data capacity and are rated 1x - 16x speed
>(ver 2.1 rev 6.0). It should be noted that use in incompatible
>recorders may lead to permanent damage to the recorder. The disc can
>store 4 hours of video capacity in EP mode (VHS quality) or 2 hours in
>SP mode (DVD quality)."

This comment refers to a particular ancient Pioneer DVD-R drive, as I
remember; and that issue had long since been addressed by a firmware
update.

Herbert John \Jackie\ Gleason

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 22:37:14 GMT, Paul Heslop
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>dmcg wrote:
>>
>> I recently purchased a spindle of TDK-R (16x) discs that are
>> unrecognizable on my PC and unburnable, using NERO, ROXIO and
>> imgburn. I'm running Windows XP, SP2. The discs work fine on my stand-
>> alone LITE-0N DVD recorder and I've since been able to burn TDK-R's,
>> from another spindle, on my PC.
>>
>> Has anyone else run across this kind of problem or know of a reason
>> why this phenomenon might exist. Thanks in advance to whomever can
>> offer some insight.
>>
>> D.

>your burner may be incompatible or may need a firmware upgrade. If
>it's an older one it may not be able to cope with the speed of the
>discs without an upgrade. If you know the exact model of the burner
>check the website for any firmware updates.

Bullshit. A higher "speed of disc" will burn at a slower speed in ANY
burner.

You need to "cope with" keeping your bullshit to yourself.

ChairmanOfTheBored

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:21:13 GMT, Paul Heslop
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tarkus wrote:
>>
>> Paul Heslop wrote:

>> > your burner may be incompatible or may need a firmware upgrade. If
>> > it's an older one it may not be able to cope with the speed of the
>> > discs without an upgrade.

>> Aren't all discs backwards compatible all the way to 1x? I don't see
>> where the speed of the discs is an issue. Their listed speeds are the
>> maximum, not the minimum.

>I am sure I have seen it mentioned that 16X speed discs may not be
>compatible with some drives which the firmware was not written for
>16X. I may be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. :O)

Yes, in the MAX speed realm, not the slower speed realm.

>actually, on a little google I just found this and it's a bit scary,
>but hopefully doesn't apply in this case
>
>http://www.tiktak-it.co.uk/acatalog/...D-R_Discs.html
>
>"TDK DVD-R - 4.7GB - 16x speed - box of 10 jewel cases. Ref: TDK-6153
>DVD-R47CBEC10: TDK high performance write once DVD minus discs
>(DVD-R). Box of 10 individual jewel cases. These single sided discs
>provide the standard 4.7GB data capacity and are rated 1x - 16x speed
>(ver 2.1 rev 6.0). It should be noted that use in incompatible
>recorders may lead to permanent damage to the recorder. The disc can
>store 4 hours of video capacity in EP mode (VHS quality) or 2 hours in
>SP mode (DVD quality)."

Since a player decides it max burn capacity, I find it VERY HARD to
believe that the disc medium can produce a scenario where the
player/burner has a catastrophic failure due to an attempt to burn ANY
burnable disc in its library of compatible mediums.

ChairmanOfTheBored

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 15:39:34 -0800, Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Paul Heslop wrote:
>> actually, on a little google I just found this and it's a bit scary,
>> but hopefully doesn't apply in this case
>>
>> http://www.tiktak-it.co.uk/acatalog/...D-R_Discs.html
>>
>> "TDK DVD-R - 4.7GB - 16x speed - box of 10 jewel cases. Ref: TDK-6153
>> DVD-R47CBEC10: TDK high performance write once DVD minus discs
>> (DVD-R). Box of 10 individual jewel cases. These single sided discs
>> provide the standard 4.7GB data capacity and are rated 1x - 16x speed
>> (ver 2.1 rev 6.0). It should be noted that use in incompatible
>> recorders may lead to permanent damage to the recorder. The disc can
>> store 4 hours of video capacity in EP mode (VHS quality) or 2 hours in
>> SP mode (DVD quality)."

>Yes, that is scary indeed.
>
>OTOH, new burners are dirt cheap these days and don't have these issues.

I don't care what TDK says or wrote. It makes no sense at all.

Hell, even the LightScribe burners are cheap now.

Now they need to make the discs cheap.

Playing Blu-ray discs in x64 Corel WinDVD 10 does *not* work Jim Windows 64bit 19 06-15-2008 06:03 AM
8X discs only writing at 4X? Kenny Computer Support 1 12-05-2004 06:45 PM
Stoalen Discs Patty Martin MCSE 13 09-10-2004 12:58 PM
Student Materials Compact Discs for 70-290 Nelson MCSE 0 09-12-2003 08:31 AM

Advertisments