Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > IE cannot open the Internet site ... Operation aborted

IE cannot open the Internet site ... Operation aborted

Mika

Hello, we understand you guys may be able to help.

We have a page which has been working great for over a year and gets many
hits. However recently something got changed that we cannot seem to find,
and now *sometimes* if you refresh the page (generally while it is still

Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site...
Operation aborted

Here is an example of the page in question:
http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr [broadband recommended]

We appreciate you may have other comments on the site such as the size of
the pages, however we are not looking to change that at present, with faster
broadband becoming more abundant. Search engine listings alert the user
that broadband is recommended for this technology.

As we said, the site worked great, but for this unknown reason now needs
some sort of a tweak to fix. The changes we made before it happened were
related to the body tag but they have been completely undone yet the issue
remains :-S

Thanks in advance to anyone able to find the cure for us to test.

Regards,
Mika @ SHS.com

Stevo

Mika wrote:
> Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site...
> Operation aborted

That happens on IE when you try to add items to the DOM before the page
is complete. Wait for onload event to fire before doing it, or poll the
document.readyState waiting for "complete" (although "interactive" may
sometimes be good enough).

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:12:37
GMT Mika scribed:

> Hello, we understand you guys may be able to help.
>
> We have a page which has been working great for over a year and gets
> many hits. However recently something got changed that we cannot seem
> to find, and now *sometimes* if you refresh the page (generally while
> it is still loading) in IE7, we get the popup window error:
>
> Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site...
> Operation aborted
>
> Here is an example of the page in question:
> http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr [broadband recommended]
>
> We appreciate you may have other comments on the site such as the size
> of the pages, however we are not looking to change that at present,
> with faster broadband becoming more abundant. Search engine listings
> alert the user that broadband is recommended for this technology.
>
> As we said, the site worked great, but for this unknown reason now
> needs some sort of a tweak to fix. The changes we made before it
> happened were related to the body tag but they have been completely
> undone yet the issue remains :-S
>
> Thanks in advance to anyone able to find the cure for us to test.

I did a refresh-while-loading in Opera and got tons of errors, probably
related to the javascript (...apparently being interrupted). Oth, a
refresh-post-load produced no errors in the same browser. Ergo, I suspect
that the abundant j/s is causing the problem. Suggest you try ie7 without
the j/s on.

--
Bone Ur
Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

Mika

"Bone Ur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:12:37
> GMT Mika scribed:
>
>> Hello, we understand you guys may be able to help.
>>
>> We have a page which has been working great for over a year and gets
>> many hits. However recently something got changed that we cannot seem
>> to find, and now *sometimes* if you refresh the page (generally while
>> it is still loading) in IE7, we get the popup window error:
>>
>> Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site...
>> Operation aborted
>>
>> Here is an example of the page in question:
>> http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr [broadband recommended]
>>
>> We appreciate you may have other comments on the site such as the size
>> of the pages, however we are not looking to change that at present,
>> with faster broadband becoming more abundant. Search engine listings
>> alert the user that broadband is recommended for this technology.
>>
>> As we said, the site worked great, but for this unknown reason now
>> needs some sort of a tweak to fix. The changes we made before it
>> happened were related to the body tag but they have been completely
>> undone yet the issue remains :-S
>>
>> Thanks in advance to anyone able to find the cure for us to test.

> I did a refresh-while-loading in Opera and got tons of errors, probably
> related to the javascript (...apparently being interrupted). Oth, a
> refresh-post-load produced no errors in the same browser. Ergo, I suspect
> that the abundant j/s is causing the problem. Suggest you try ie7 without
> the j/s on.

Thanks Bone, however as j/s in crucial we wonder if there is a workaround
you can think of to this?

Mika

"Stevo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fhko5q$31l$00$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> Mika wrote:
>> Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site...
>> Operation aborted

> That happens on IE when you try to add items to the DOM before the page is
> complete. Wait for onload event to fire before doing it, or poll the
> document.readyState waiting for "complete" (although "interactive" may
> sometimes be good enough).

Thanks Stevo.

Can you elaborate on how we could make the Document Object Model only happen
after onload, or better still implement your polling suggestion.

I am not one of the programmers myself, but would appreciate it if you could
briefly explain in layman's terms what should be done. I.e. "Find and
change <body onload=... to xxxx", so we can try it here. Many thanks.

Mika

"Bone Ur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:12:37
> GMT Mika scribed:
>
>> Hello, we understand you guys may be able to help.
>>
>> We have a page which has been working great for over a year and gets
>> many hits. However recently something got changed that we cannot seem
>> to find, and now *sometimes* if you refresh the page (generally while
>> it is still loading) in IE7, we get the popup window error:
>>
>> Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site...
>> Operation aborted
>>
>> Here is an example of the page in question:
>> http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr [broadband recommended]
>>
>> We appreciate you may have other comments on the site such as the size
>> of the pages, however we are not looking to change that at present,
>> with faster broadband becoming more abundant. Search engine listings
>> alert the user that broadband is recommended for this technology.
>>
>> As we said, the site worked great, but for this unknown reason now
>> needs some sort of a tweak to fix. The changes we made before it
>> happened were related to the body tag but they have been completely
>> undone yet the issue remains :-S
>>
>> Thanks in advance to anyone able to find the cure for us to test.

> I did a refresh-while-loading in Opera and got tons of errors, probably
> related to the javascript (...apparently being interrupted). Oth, a
> refresh-post-load produced no errors in the same browser. Ergo, I suspect
> that the abundant j/s is causing the problem. Suggest you try ie7 without
> the j/s on.

PS: Due to Opera functionality limitations (partly on the width of
streetscape pages) that browser is not supported by our site, although what
you found out is interesting.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 16 Nov 2007 22:07:09
GMT Mika scribed:

>>> Thanks in advance to anyone able to find the cure for us to test.

>> I did a refresh-while-loading in Opera and got tons of errors,
>> probably related to the javascript (...apparently being interrupted).
>> Oth, a refresh-post-load produced no errors in the same browser.
>> Ergo, I suspect that the abundant j/s is causing the problem.
>> Suggest you try ie7 without the j/s on.

> PS: Due to Opera functionality limitations (partly on the width of
> streetscape pages) that browser is not supported by our site, although
> what you found out is interesting.

I notice you're using an "shtml" extension, but...

Here's something to try. I emphasize it's just a test. Change your
extension to php and see what happens. (I hope your server supports it.)
The idea relates to caching; who knows, maybe it'll make a difference.

--

> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 16 Nov 2007 22:07:09
> GMT Mika scribed:

>>> I did a refresh-while-loading in Opera and got tons of errors,
>>> probably related to the javascript (...apparently being interrupted).
>>> Oth, a refresh-post-load produced no errors in the same browser.
>>> Ergo, I suspect that the abundant j/s is causing the problem.
>>> Suggest you try ie7 without the j/s on.

>> PS: Due to Opera functionality limitations (partly on the width of
>> streetscape pages) that browser is not supported by our site, although
>> what you found out is interesting.

> I notice you're using an "shtml" extension, but...
>
> Here's something to try. I emphasize it's just a test. Change your
> extension to php and see what happens. (I hope your server supports it.)
> The idea relates to caching; who knows, maybe it'll make a difference.

It seems to work! Can anyone replicate the old bug at the new php page?
http://tinyurl.com/324enb

Mika

"Bone Ur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 16 Nov 2007 22:07:09
> GMT Mika scribed:

>>> I did a refresh-while-loading in Opera and got tons of errors,
>>> probably related to the javascript (...apparently being interrupted).
>>> Oth, a refresh-post-load produced no errors in the same browser.
>>> Ergo, I suspect that the abundant j/s is causing the problem.
>>> Suggest you try ie7 without the j/s on.

>> PS: Due to Opera functionality limitations (partly on the width of
>> streetscape pages) that browser is not supported by our site, although
>> what you found out is interesting.

> I notice you're using an "shtml" extension, but...
>
> Here's something to try. I emphasize it's just a test. Change your
> extension to php and see what happens. (I hope your server supports it.)
> The idea relates to caching; who knows, maybe it'll make a difference.

That does work http://tinyurl.com/324enb so the theory is sound BUT the
problem is php does to work correctly with our Google Maps integration, and
also we use SSI such as <!--#include virtual="/_borders/top.htm"--> which is
why we need shtml.

Jonathan N. Little

Mika wrote:
idea relates to caching; who knows, maybe it'll make a difference.

> That does work http://tinyurl.com/324enb so the theory is sound BUT the
> problem is php does to work correctly with our Google Maps integration, and
> also we use SSI such as <!--#include virtual="/_borders/top.htm"--> which is
> why we need shtml.

Ah but you can easily convert that to php like this:

<?php include_once("/_borders/top.htm"); ?>

and forego the SSI

--
Take care,

Jonathan