Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Reason 412: The remote peer is no longer responding.

Reason 412: The remote peer is no longer responding.

James

I just can't get this to work out of the box/running wizard. I'm
getting error on client of:

Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the Client.
Reason 412: The remote peer is no longer responding.

What areas should I be looking at please? I've set the VPN Easy Server
up and made it Initiate as well as Respond. I'm using a key phrase to
connect with. I've tested the VPN server in the SDM software and its
says its ok.

Short of an entire dump please let me know what more info you need?

Merv

Are you using a firewall on your PC such as Windows XP firewall ?

Did you add the Cisco VPN client as an exception ?

Firewall must be configured to permit UDP ports 500 and 62515 whcih are
required for cisco vpn client.

James

I have F-Secure on client which I think is configured to allow the VPN
client - I will check. As for the network there is no software
firewall on the server, just the Cisco box. I assume that the wizard
setup the correct rules to allow clients in but how do I check this
port config?

Thanks for responding - you are the first one in over a month and I was
going slowly mad!

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
Merv <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Firewall must be configured to permit UDP ports 500 and 62515 whcih are
>required for cisco vpn client.

I'd never heard of 62515 being required before. I see it listed in
the VPN 3000 concentrator FAQ,
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/vpn_3000_faq.shtml
along with 62514 thru 62524.

The description of the port use given in the FAQ does not suggest
to me that the firewall would need to be opened to permit any of those
ports: they appear to me to only to be talking from the local machine
to itself?

Merv

besides disabling your firewall, verify that you PC is actually
transmitting packets.
Start a cmd windows and run the command "netstat -s -p ip 60" to see IP
sned and receive packet counts

Merv

UDP port 62515 - Cisco Systems IPSec Driver to Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN
Service

Perhaps depends on where a firewall inserts itself in the dataflow

Phillip Remaker

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I just can't get this to work out of the box/running wizard. I'm
> getting error on client of:
>
> Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the Client.
> Reason 412: The remote peer is no longer responding.

Are you using IP/ESP, NAT-T, or TCP as your connect (Are you using NAT?)

Make sure you use a NAT-friendly VPN scheme. I think the default is IP/ESP
which fails with a lot of NAT devices.

Merv

Also try the following commands to see a summary of what is or is not
happening:

C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems \ VPN Client\vpnclient stat traffic

C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems \ VPN Client\vpnclient stat tunnel

James

Great, thanks I will see what it states tonight.

James

Phillip,
Sorry for late reply - have been to France to try and chill from this
mess!!

I have NAT on the firewall. What am I using as my connect? Good
question!
Do I search for this on the firewall or is it configured on the client
end -
or both?

Thanks,
James