Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD-RW does not recognize disk

DVD-RW does not recognize disk

Roy

Hello Group
The DVD-RW player of my notebook cease to recognize any disk CD or
DVD,( blank or loaded )in it and I would like to know what is likely
the reason for such. Is it that the optical system got blinded or
something similar? It ceases to burn disk as well.
Whenever a disk is loaded in its bay it emits a knocking sound...Is
there any DIY solution for such?

TIA
Roy

Don Phillipson

"Roy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> The DVD-RW player of my notebook cease to recognize any disk CD or
> DVD,( blank or loaded )in it and I would like to know what is likely
> the reason for such.

Standard cure for any computer "device" is to remove it
from the OS (via / System / Device Manager / "remove")
then reboot, so that the OS detects it as "new" and
reinstals the drivers. (We assume you have checked for
updated drivers and know where they are stored on the
hard drive.) Have you tried this?

No CD drive lasts for ever. Most types are fairly cheap
and easy to replace (if you know how to open the case.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Roy

On Nov 17, 5:48 am, "Don Phillipson" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> "Roy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > The DVD-RW player of my notebook cease to recognize any disk CD or
> > DVD,( blank or loaded )in it and I would like to know what is likely
> > the reason for such.

> Standard cure for any computer "device" is to remove it
> from the OS (via / System / Device Manager / "remove")
> then reboot, so that the OS detects it as "new" and
> reinstals the drivers. (We assume you have checked for
> updated drivers and know where they are stored on the
> hard drive.) Have you tried this?
>
> No CD drive lasts for ever. Most types are fairly cheap
> and easy to replace (if you know how to open the case.)
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

Thanks for your informative reply..
I have not checked the drivers nor have any idea how to do it
precisely.
So you recommend that I have uninstall / remove it via Device Manager
then reboot as new?
A related question is whenever I tried to burn a CD DVD the burn
software recognized the drive but when I load the
blank disk its not even recognized and what I hear that the bay is
empty.

well I have been thinking of replacing it but not me but somebody who
knows about this stuff like this.
I might damage the wiring and connections if I do it myself.
Roy