Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Ideal travel camera...

Ideal travel camera...

AKT

Please advise on a pocketable cameras with good color, good IQ, and
these features:

1. 28 or wider lens
2. decent telephoto (200+ ?)
3. Aperture priority
4. Image stabilization
5. Fast operation
5. Did I mention pocketable?

I can do without high MP's, high ASA's, video, RAW, etc.

If no such camera exists, which of these features would you consider
most expendable in a travel camera that always has to be to there and
cope with whatever may come?

David J Taylor

AKT wrote:
> Please advise on a pocketable cameras with good color, good IQ, and
> these features:
>
> 1. 28 or wider lens
> 2. decent telephoto (200+ ?)
> 3. Aperture priority
> 4. Image stabilization
> 5. Fast operation
> 5. Did I mention pocketable?
>
> I can do without high MP's, high ASA's, video, RAW, etc.
>
> If no such camera exists, which of these features would you consider
> most expendable in a travel camera that always has to be to there and
> cope with whatever may come?

Panasonic TZ3, Ricoh R5 are two examples, but you may give up some manual
control. The Panasonic has better IQ and a 28 - 280mm zoom, but at the
expense of being somewhat bigger and heavier.

http://www.digicamreview.co.uk/ricoh..._r5_review.htm

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/

Cheers,
David

Dennis Pogson

David J Taylor wrote:
> AKT wrote:
>> Please advise on a pocketable cameras with good color, good IQ, and
>> these features:
>>
>> 1. 28 or wider lens
>> 2. decent telephoto (200+ ?)
>> 3. Aperture priority
>> 4. Image stabilization
>> 5. Fast operation
>> 5. Did I mention pocketable?
>>
>> I can do without high MP's, high ASA's, video, RAW, etc.
>>
>> If no such camera exists, which of these features would you consider
>> most expendable in a travel camera that always has to be to there and
>> cope with whatever may come?

> Panasonic TZ3, Ricoh R5 are two examples, but you may give up some
> manual control. The Panasonic has better IQ and a 28 - 280mm zoom,
> but at the expense of being somewhat bigger and heavier.
>
> http://www.digicamreview.co.uk/ricoh..._r5_review.htm
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/
>
> Cheers,
> David

The Panasonic has just gone on sale at 7-day shop for a remarkably low price
too.

DP

Daniel Silevitch

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 06:25:39 GMT, AKT <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Please advise on a pocketable cameras with good color, good IQ, and
> these features:
>
> 1. 28 or wider lens
> 2. decent telephoto (200+ ?)
> 3. Aperture priority
> 4. Image stabilization
> 5. Fast operation
> 5. Did I mention pocketable?
>
> I can do without high MP's, high ASA's, video, RAW, etc.
>
> If no such camera exists, which of these features would you consider
> most expendable in a travel camera that always has to be to there and
> cope with whatever may come?

If you can do without the aperture priority, the Panasonic TZ3 would be
a perfect fit. http://dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/

-dms

Marty Fremen

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
wrote:

> AKT wrote:
>> Please advise on a pocketable cameras with good color, good IQ, and
>> these features:
>>
>> 1. 28 or wider lens
>> 2. decent telephoto (200+ ?)
>> 3. Aperture priority
>> 4. Image stabilization
>> 5. Fast operation
>> 5. Did I mention pocketable?
>>
>> I can do without high MP's, high ASA's, video, RAW, etc.
>>
>> If no such camera exists, which of these features would you consider
>> most expendable in a travel camera that always has to be to there and
>> cope with whatever may come?

> Panasonic TZ3, Ricoh R5 are two examples, but you may give up some manual
> control.

There are also the newer R6 and R7 Ricohs, with same 28-200 zoom etc. The
R6 is said to be a significant improvement over the R5 in image quality and
general design. Although the R series don't have aperture priority there is
a choice of metering (multi, centre-weighted and spot (though if the spot
is like it is on the GX100 it's not really 'spot' but rather the central
1/9 of the picture)), they also have some useful focussing modes (infinity,
hyperfocal distance, and manual (not that manual is much use on an LCD, but
infinity and hyperfocal are nice to have, e.g. cutting out the focussing
time for quick snaps)).

Re. travel use, a nice point with the Ricohs is that you can use a pair of
AAA batteries if you get caught short and unable to charge your Lion
battery, I don't think the Panasonics offer that option (my Panasonic
camera doesn't anyhow). AAA batteries won't last all that long but it's
nice to have it as a fallback option.

SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

AKT wrote:
> Please advise on a pocketable cameras with good color, good IQ, and
> these features:
>
> 1. 28 or wider lens
> 2. decent telephoto (200+ ?)
> 3. Aperture priority
> 4. Image stabilization
> 5. Fast operation
> 5. Did I mention pocketable?
>
> I can do without high MP's, high ASA's, video, RAW, etc.
>
> If no such camera exists, which of these features would you consider
> most expendable in a travel camera that always has to be to there and
> cope with whatever may come?

I think the closest you can get to this is the Ricoh R7.

"http://www.adorama.com/IRCR7B.html?searchinfo=ricoh%20r7&item_no=2"