Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > xp clean install

xp clean install

Robert Drake

To whom it may concern,
I have a computer that has been wiped clean before it was given to me it
never had windows installed on it and it's a unix system.I went to this
website:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html but this info didn't
work any ideas on what I can do to get xp installed on this computer?

Maria

I don't think it can be done. Without changing some hardware.
"Robert Drake" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> To whom it may concern,
> I have a computer that has been wiped clean before it was given to me it
> never had windows installed on it and it's a unix system.I went to this
> website:
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html but this info didn't
> work any ideas on what I can do to get xp installed on this computer?
>
> (E-Mail Removed)

Aardvark

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 19:56:27 -0330, Maria wrote:

> "Robert Drake" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> To whom it may concern,
>> I have a computer that has been wiped clean before it was given to me
>> it never had windows installed on it and it's a unix system.I went to
>> this website:
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html but this info
>> didn't work any ideas on what I can do to get xp installed on this
>> computer?
>>
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>

> I don't think it can be done. Without changing some hardware.

And this is your considered opinion based on almost zero information?

All the OP has to do is use a WinXP cd to install the OS on the PC. The
fact that it was previously run on some Unix flavour is immaterial.

philo

"Robert Drake" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> To whom it may concern,
> I have a computer that has been wiped clean before it was given to me it
> never had windows installed on it and it's a unix system.I went to this
> website:
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html but this info didn't
> work any ideas on what I can do to get xp installed on this computer?
>
> (E-Mail Removed)

Just set the bios to boot from the cd

then bootup and delete all and start over fresh

choose NTFS for the file system and full format

Mike Easter

Robert Drake wrote:

> what I can do to get xp installed on this
> computer?

What kind of XP media and license do you have?

What kind of hardware does the bios see?

--
Mike Easter

richard

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:12:10 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

> Robert Drake wrote:
>
>> what I can do to get xp installed on this
>> computer?

> What kind of XP media and license do you have?
>
> What kind of hardware does the bios see?

Oh please. Will you quit with the licensing scare tactics?
The only reason Bill Gates is trying to limit the license to "per machine",
is to make himself richer.

You paid for the system, you have the right to use it as often as you wish.
Explain to me, wise sir, just how is a "Read only" "write protected" disk
gonna know how many times, let alone the number of machines, it was
installed on?

Hell, I just bought a new box with vista HP on it and didn't even get a
boot disk with it!

Then, how's that CD gonna know that I didn't clone a thousand hard drives
with that one install?
It's a frickin scare tactic designed to Gates richer, nothing more.

Joseph Wheeler

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:12:10 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
>
>> Robert Drake wrote:
>>
>>> what I can do to get xp installed on this
>>> computer?

>> What kind of XP media and license do you have?
>>
>> What kind of hardware does the bios see?

> Oh please. Will you quit with the licensing scare tactics?
> The only reason Bill Gates is trying to limit the license to "per
> machine",
> is to make himself richer.
>
> You paid for the system, you have the right to use it as often as you
> wish.
> Explain to me, wise sir, just how is a "Read only" "write protected" disk
> gonna know how many times, let alone the number of machines, it was
> installed on?
>
> Hell, I just bought a new box with vista HP on it and didn't even get a
> boot disk with it!
>
> Then, how's that CD gonna know that I didn't clone a thousand hard drives
> with that one install?
> It's a frickin scare tactic designed to Gates richer, nothing more.

I suspect you could do that clone job OK-- but unless all machines were
configured exactly the same way, when you went to update the OS, you'd get
nailed.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Aardvark wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 19:56:27 -0330, Maria wrote:
>> "Robert Drake" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> To whom it may concern,
>>> I have a computer that has been wiped clean before it was given to me
>>> it never had windows installed on it and it's a unix system.I went to
>>> this website: <snip>

>> I don't think it can be done. Without changing some hardware.

> And this is your considered opinion based on almost zero information?

Agreed there was a lot left missing...

> All the OP has to do is use a WinXP cd to install the OS on the PC.

What if it isn't a PC?

> The fact that it was previously run on some Unix flavour is
> immaterial.

You're probably thinking "Linux." A "unix system" could be .. well,
some mini-computer, perhaps, where the hardware will not run Windows ..
or Linux. We just don't know until Mr Drake describes the computer.

Mr Drake? The ball's in your court.

--
-bts

sittingduck

Joseph Wheeler wrote:

> I suspect you could do that clone job OK-- but unless all machines were
> configured exactly the same way, when you went to update the OS, you'd get
> nailed.

Just download a copy that has SP2 and updates slipstreamed and forget
updates.

Mike Easter

richard wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Robert Drake wrote:
>>
>>> what I can do to get xp installed on this
>>> computer?

>> What kind of XP media and license do you have?
>>
>> What kind of hardware does the bios see?

> Oh please. Will you quit with the licensing scare tactics?

We don't know what the OP has and doesn't have.

Some people have a computer from 'one place' and an OEM XP + bloatware
disk image, such as HP/Compaq from 'another place'. The OP may have a
computer with a hdd and a CDROM and a Compaq/HP DVD drive image.

> Hell, I just bought a new box with vista HP on it and didn't even get
> a boot disk with it!

Exactly. Or if you 'order' a vista DVD from the manufacturer you don't
get a MS Vista disk, you get a mfr boot image designed to install only
on the manufacturers hardware.

> Then, how's that CD gonna know that I didn't clone a thousand hard
> drives with that one install?

The CD/DVD's install software starts off by looking for the correct
hardware. There is no 'Vista install' program.

--
Mike Easter