Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > very simple cisco switch question

Reply
Thread Tools

very simple cisco switch question

 
 
mina.moussa@hotmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2007
hi guys why is it after i telnet into my cisco switch (3500) if i
press "Set ?" it says "unrecognized command"

ive tried this:

conf t
line vty 0 4
password Cisco
Login
exit

what am i doing wrong? the reason im doing this is to "set mls
enable" ....

thanx in advance
Mina
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Doug McIntyre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2007
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) writes:
>hi guys why is it after i telnet into my cisco switch (3500) if i
>press "Set ?" it says "unrecognized command"


set is a catos switch command. Both of the 35xx switch lines from
Cisco run IOS.

IOS switch code runs mls transparently.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
rogerz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2007
On Nov 16, 12:21 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> hi guys why is it after i telnet into my cisco switch (3500) if i
> press "Set ?" it says "unrecognized command"

Did you input "enable" to enter priviledge exec mode?
>
> ive tried this:
>
> conf t
> line vty 0 4
> password Cisco
> Login
> exit
>
> what am i doing wrong? the reason im doing this is to "set mls
> enable" ....
>
> thanx in advance
> Mina


 
Reply With Quote
 
Trendkill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2007
On Nov 16, 6:46 am, rogerz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Nov 16, 12:21 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:> hi guys why is it after i telnet into my cisco switch (3500) if i
> > press "Set ?" it says "unrecognized command"

>
> Did you input "enable" to enter priviledge exec mode?
>
>
>
> > ive tried this:

>
> > conf t
> > line vty 0 4
> > password Cisco
> > Login
> > exit

>
> > what am i doing wrong? the reason im doing this is to "set mls
> > enable" ....

>
> > thanx in advance
> > Mina


I believe MLS is enabled by default, and the proper syntax on a per
interface basis is:

conf t
int <interface>
mls ip or no mls ip

If this is for QoS purposes, the commands are no mls qos or mls qos.

See section under "interface characteristics"
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/swit...e/3550scg.html

Here is the config guide for the 3550, and the 3560
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/swit...uide/SwCfg.pdf
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...ides_list.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
mina.moussa@hotmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2007
firstly this is an excellent forum, very quick replies, okay lets just
takle the first problem:

ive typed in "enable" and have gone into enable mode, and see the
"Set" option when i type "?" but when I try use the "set" option it'll
always say its unrecognized. I'd like to get the set command to work
so i can use it for other purposes too ...


we'll then go into why mls isnt working if i type conf t, int
<interface> (this works then i type: ) mls qos (<< that says
unrecognized)
 
Reply With Quote
 
mina.moussa@hotmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2007
ive set the mls priority through cisco network assistant for now by
going:

ports> port settings> then setting 802.1p priority to 6 as this is the
priority i would like voice to have when leaving the port.


but i defenitly want to knoww why i cant simply follow guides that
display the "set" command from cisco documentation... why is set not
working?

im now trying to do this :

(enable) set port auxiliaryVLAN 5/1-48 110


taken from:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk64...80114aee.shtml
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian V
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2007

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ive set the mls priority through cisco network assistant for now by
> going:
>
> ports> port settings> then setting 802.1p priority to 6 as this is the
> priority i would like voice to have when leaving the port.
>
>
> but i defenitly want to knoww why i cant simply follow guides that
> display the "set" command from cisco documentation... why is set not
> working?
>
> im now trying to do this :
>
> (enable) set port auxiliaryVLAN 5/1-48 110
>
>
> taken from:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk64...80114aee.shtml


Because the example is using a Catalyst 6500 running Cat OS. Completely
different operating system.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Trendkill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2007
On Nov 17, 11:03 pm, "Brian V" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
>
> > ive set the mls priority through cisco network assistant for now by
> > going:

>
> > ports> port settings> then setting 802.1p priority to 6 as this is the
> > priority i would like voice to have when leaving the port.

>
> > but i defenitly want to knoww why i cant simply follow guides that
> > display the "set" command from cisco documentation... why is set not
> > working?

>
> > im now trying to do this :

>
> > (enable) set port auxiliaryVLAN 5/1-48 110

>
> > taken from:

>
> >http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk64...s_tech_note091...

>
> Because the example is using a Catalyst 6500 running Cat OS. Completely
> different operating system.


Yes, in short there are two OSes for switches. Catalyst is the older
code that is on some of the more enterprise class switches, and IOS
which is the same basic OS that is on routers. Cisco is gradually
moving to IOS for everything, and enterprise class switches (like
6500) have code sets for both (native ios = ios, hybrid = ios on msfc/
router and catalyst code on switch side). So to answer your question,
you need to find the config or command guide for your specific switch
and specific code level. It appears that you are going off of a
catalyst guide or information, and your switch is an IOS based switch
such as a 2900, 3500. Hope this helps.
 
Reply With Quote
 
mina.moussa@hotmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-26-2007
thank you so much that helps
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help running a very very very simple code olivier.melcher Java 8 05-12-2008 07:51 PM
CGI.PM Very very simple question AMT2K5 Perl Misc 3 12-02-2005 05:18 PM
Very very very basic question Peter C Programming 14 02-14-2005 09:46 AM
Quick Book file access very very very slow Thomas Reed Computer Support 7 04-09-2004 08:09 PM
very Very VERY dumb Question About The new Set( ) 's Raymond Arthur St. Marie II of III Python 4 07-27-2003 12:09 AM



Advertisments