Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Ethernet connection recognized or installed in computer.

Reply
Thread Tools

Ethernet connection recognized or installed in computer.

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGVsbGU=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2006
I connect to the intenet using a cable modem with the USB cable, however, I
am trying to go wireless now and need to connect using the ethernet
connection but the computer does not recognize that connection at all. How
can I fix/install this? Thanks!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sanchez
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2006


Terry Jones MCSE, MCSA, MCDST, MCP


Hi,

Ensure that the correct drivers for your network adapter are installed, if
they are try updating them. This should resolve this fault.


"Michelle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I connect to the intenet using a cable modem with the USB cable, however, I
> am trying to go wireless now and need to connect using the ethernet
> connection but the computer does not recognize that connection at all.
> How
> can I fix/install this? Thanks!



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGVsbGU=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2006
Thanks Sanchez. I do not have my computer in front of me now but I am pretty
sure that the driver for the ethernet is not installed. I thought it was a
problem with my Cable provider and so they troubleshooted for me and he said
that it is not installed and that it was not a simple 5 min. thing to fix it
but of course, he could not help me with that only the company I purchased
the computer from. And of course the warranty has expired so they won't help
me either. So now I need to find out how I can install this myself....

"Sanchez" wrote:

>
>
> Terry Jones MCSE, MCSA, MCDST, MCP
>
>
> Hi,
>
> Ensure that the correct drivers for your network adapter are installed, if
> they are try updating them. This should resolve this fault.
>
>
> "Michelle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I connect to the intenet using a cable modem with the USB cable, however, I
> > am trying to go wireless now and need to connect using the ethernet
> > connection but the computer does not recognize that connection at all.
> > How
> > can I fix/install this? Thanks!

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2006
Michelle wrote:

> Thanks Sanchez. I do not have my computer in front of me now but I am
> pretty
> sure that the driver for the ethernet is not installed. I thought it
> was a problem with my Cable provider and so they troubleshooted for me
> and he said that it is not installed and that it was not a simple 5
> min. thing to fix it but of course, he could not help me with that
> only the company I purchased
> the computer from. And of course the warranty has expired so they
> won't help
> me either. So now I need to find out how I can install this
> myself....


Michelle, first you need to find out what ethernet card is installed in
your computer. Here's how:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific
model machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers
anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor. The older Aida32 is good for this, too.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.aumha.org/free.htm - Aida32 (hosted on Jim Eshelman's site)

Once you know what hardware is there, get drivers from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

If the device isn't even being recognized, it's broken. The easiest
thing to do in that case is install a new ethernet adapter. They are
very inexpensive. If your original adapter is on the motherboard, go
into the BIOS first and disable the onboard adapter.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGVsbGU=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2006
Thanks a lot! That worked!

"Malke" wrote:

> Michelle wrote:
>
> > Thanks Sanchez. I do not have my computer in front of me now but I am
> > pretty
> > sure that the driver for the ethernet is not installed. I thought it
> > was a problem with my Cable provider and so they troubleshooted for me
> > and he said that it is not installed and that it was not a simple 5
> > min. thing to fix it but of course, he could not help me with that
> > only the company I purchased
> > the computer from. And of course the warranty has expired so they
> > won't help
> > me either. So now I need to find out how I can install this
> > myself....

>
> Michelle, first you need to find out what ethernet card is installed in
> your computer. Here's how:
>
> 1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
> 2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific
> model machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers
> anyway)
> 3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
> Advisor. The older Aida32 is good for this, too.
>
> http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
> http://www.aumha.org/free.htm - Aida32 (hosted on Jim Eshelman's site)
>
> Once you know what hardware is there, get drivers from:
>
> 1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
> 2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
> 3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
> computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).
>
> If the device isn't even being recognized, it's broken. The easiest
> thing to do in that case is install a new ethernet adapter. They are
> very inexpensive. If your original adapter is on the motherboard, go
> into the BIOS first and disable the onboard adapter.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2006
Michelle wrote:

> Thanks a lot! That worked!


You're welcome. Thanks for taking the time to let me know.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gems installed to $HOME not recognized Albert Schlef Ruby 2 04-13-2010 11:04 AM
using a Ethernet connection as a input to Ethernet switch to be ableto connect many machines to network s Computer Support 4 01-21-2010 06:36 PM
Perl's installed module isn't recognized L. D. James Perl Misc 3 03-14-2008 04:13 PM
AAUI to Ethernet vs. AUI to Ethernet tranceiver? JXM2119 Cisco 2 03-11-2005 11:13 PM
Can 803 (ISDN-ethernet) work ethernet-ethernet? Peter Cisco 2 12-11-2003 11:24 PM



Advertisments