Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > 3G, VoIP blocked on HSDPA

Reply
Thread Tools

3G, VoIP blocked on HSDPA

 
 
Big Bird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2007
If my mobile phone provider is blocking SIP/VoIP over HSDPA is there
much that I can do? My mobile is an N95.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2007
Big Bird wrote:
> If my mobile phone provider is blocking SIP/VoIP over HSDPA is there
> much that I can do? My mobile is an N95.


You can put SIP down a different port number.

Tim
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
alexd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2007
Big Bird wrote:

> If my mobile phone provider is blocking SIP/VoIP over HSDPA is there
> much that I can do? My mobile is an N95.


You may be able to encrypt and tunnel over, eg, port 443 [HTTPS] if you can
get the right software at each end.

http://s2putty.sourceforge.net/

However I'm not sure what happens when you tunnel SIP calls [UDP] over SSH
[TCP]. Something? Nothing? Everything? Perhaps if you were able to use IAX2
your provider might not recognise it as VoIP?

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ((E-Mail Removed))
14:38:51 up 4 days, 3:16, 2 users, load average: 0.17, 0.24, 0.25
50,000 watts of funking power

 
Reply With Quote
 
Gordon Henderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, alexd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Big Bird wrote:
>
>> If my mobile phone provider is blocking SIP/VoIP over HSDPA is there
>> much that I can do? My mobile is an N95.

>
>You may be able to encrypt and tunnel over, eg, port 443 [HTTPS] if you can
>get the right software at each end.
>
>http://s2putty.sourceforge.net/
>
>However I'm not sure what happens when you tunnel SIP calls [UDP] over SSH
>[TCP]. Something? Nothing? Everything? Perhaps if you were able to use IAX2
>your provider might not recognise it as VoIP?


You can use a differnt port with the E90, I'd guess the N95 might be
similar, but then you need a remote server which will accept SIP data on
something other than the standard port (5060).

And you can't port-forward under putty under symbian either, so
tunnelling data that way isn't gonig to work.

I've not been able to make my E90 make a VoIP call via anything other
than Wi-Fi though - maybe there's a setting I've not found yet though!

And I'd like to think there might one-day be an IAX client for symbian,
but I'm not holding my breath!!!

Gordon
 
Reply With Quote
 
Big Bird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2007
* Tim wrote:
> Big Bird wrote:
>> If my mobile phone provider is blocking SIP/VoIP over HSDPA is there
>> much that I can do? My mobile is an N95.

>
> You can put SIP down a different port number.


Only if Sipgate (or other VoIP provider) ran their servers on the same
different port. And those that do run on the non-Well-known-port
numbers probably get blocked all the same, it just takes longer for the
networks to realise.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Big Bird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2007
* alexd wrote:
> However I'm not sure what happens when you tunnel SIP calls [UDP] over SSH
> [TCP].


Supposedly a very bad thing to tunnel UDP via TCP. But I had found
UDPTunnel:

http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~lennox/udptunnel/

> Something? Nothing? Everything? Perhaps if you were able to use IAX2
> your provider might not recognise it as VoIP?


I have access to a box on the net that could act as the end point for a
TCP tunnel to forward UDP traffic. You might even be able to do it using
OpenVPN?! But the main impetus is getting something to work that doesn't
involve to much funky shizzle on my phone and enables me to use the
nicely integrated VoIP/SIP stack built into the phone.

There is one other option. I hear if I upgrade my HSDPA to the Max
packaged then the VoIP restrictions are removed. Aren't mobile telcos
nice people?
 
Reply With Quote
 
alexd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2007
Big Bird wrote:

> * alexd wrote:
>> However I'm not sure what happens when you tunnel SIP calls [UDP] over
>> SSH
>> [TCP].

>
> Supposedly a very bad thing to tunnel UDP via TCP. But I had found
> UDPTunnel:
>
> http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~lennox/udptunnel/
>
>> Something? Nothing? Everything? Perhaps if you were able to use IAX2
>> your provider might not recognise it as VoIP?

>
> I have access to a box on the net that could act as the end point for a
> TCP tunnel to forward UDP traffic. You might even be able to do it using
> OpenVPN?!


I did search for an OpenVPN client, but it looks like there's none for S60
as yet.

> But the main impetus is getting something to work that doesn't
> involve to much funky shizzle on my phone and enables me to use the
> nicely integrated VoIP/SIP stack built into the phone.


You can be sure that the stuff that doesn't involve faffing about will be
the first to be blocked or impeded in some way ["160-byte UDP packets on
high ports seem get lost and delayed at random? We've got no idea what
you're talking about, sir"].

> There is one other option. I hear if I upgrade my HSDPA to the Max
> packaged then the VoIP restrictions are removed. Aren't mobile telcos
> nice people?


You seem to have mis-spelt "a bunch of twats".

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ((E-Mail Removed))
17:40:07 up 4 days, 6:18, 1 user, load average: 0.14, 0.24, 0.22
50,000 watts of funking power

 
Reply With Quote
 
alexd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2007
Gordon Henderson wrote:

> You can use a differnt port with the E90, I'd guess the N95 might be
> similar, but then you need a remote server which will accept SIP data on
> something other than the standard port (5060).
>
> And you can't port-forward under putty under symbian either, so
> tunnelling data that way isn't gonig to work.
>
> I've not been able to make my E90 make a VoIP call via anything other
> than Wi-Fi though - maybe there's a setting I've not found yet though!
>
> And I'd like to think there might one-day be an IAX client for symbian,
> but I'm not holding my breath!!!


There's one for Windows Mobile, so it's not that unlikely. I would have
thought that Digium would have an interest in writing one, as it would be a
pretty good USP for Asterisk - I am aware of no other PBX has a Symbian
softphone [other than SIP]. They could even integrate an OpenVPN client
into it! Of course all this will be academic when the gPhone hits the
market.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ((E-Mail Removed))
17:47:30 up 4 days, 6:25, 1 user, load average: 0.53, 0.37, 0.27
50,000 watts of funking power

 
Reply With Quote
 
Gordon Henderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, alexd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
>> You can use a differnt port with the E90, I'd guess the N95 might be
>> similar, but then you need a remote server which will accept SIP data on
>> something other than the standard port (5060).
>>
>> And you can't port-forward under putty under symbian either, so
>> tunnelling data that way isn't gonig to work.
>>
>> I've not been able to make my E90 make a VoIP call via anything other
>> than Wi-Fi though - maybe there's a setting I've not found yet though!
>>
>> And I'd like to think there might one-day be an IAX client for symbian,
>> but I'm not holding my breath!!!

>
>There's one for Windows Mobile, so it's not that unlikely. I would have
>thought that Digium would have an interest in writing one, as it would be a
>pretty good USP for Asterisk - I am aware of no other PBX has a Symbian
>softphone [other than SIP]. They could even integrate an OpenVPN client
>into it! Of course all this will be academic when the gPhone hits the
>market.


I did email the people behind IDEFISK (Now Zoiper) one upon a time and
they didn't flatly say no, but I suspect it would take a lot of serious
interest to get them to do it... But rather than the gPhone, have you
seen the OpenMoko project? http://www.openmoko.org/ that looks very
promising... I do like and use most of the features on my E90 though.
(Anyone know anyone in the South West who can print 2D barcodes on vinyl
labels???)

Gordon
 
Reply With Quote
 
alexd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2007
Gordon Henderson wrote:

> I did email the people behind IDEFISK (Now Zoiper) one upon a time and
> they didn't flatly say no, but I suspect it would take a lot of serious
> interest to get them to do it... But rather than the gPhone, have you
> seen the OpenMoko project? http://www.openmoko.org/ that looks very
> promising...


I have looked at that, but I suspect that gPhones will be cheaper, more
numerous and more widely supported than OpenMoko phones, leading to a more
enjoyable hacking experience. I'm currently using a Nokia 6310i - it's
pretty much the pinnacle of mobile phone evolution, IMHO. Everything else
since has been a waste of weight, time or battery life.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ((E-Mail Removed))
12:45:44 up 5 days, 1:23, 2 users, load average: 0.14, 0.06, 0.07
50,000 watts of funking power

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Site to open the blocked sites and blocked and encoded alagmy2030 Javascript 0 02-11-2011 11:54 PM



Advertisments