Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Outlook unread mail icon doesn't appear when I start Outlook in themorning

Outlook unread mail icon doesn't appear when I start Outlook in themorning

usenetdg@hotmail.com

This concerns Outlook 2003 on an XP SP2 computer.

When I start it on my office computer in the morning, it downloads new
mail from the server, although the new mail desktop alert doesn't show
up as they come in (why is that - I've always wondered - it shows up
as new messages come in after my morning download).

But, starting a couple days ago, the "unread mail" icon in the system
tray doesn't show up in response to those newly-downloaded messages.
It *does* show up throughout the day as new unread messages appear.

The "show an envelope icon in the notification area" box is checked
and has always been checked in my Outlook Advanced Email settings.
I've also read something about "Customize Notifications" in the system
tray area by the clock, looking for the "You have new unopened items"
icon and setting it to "Always show" - but I have no such item in my
notification list.

Again, I get the unread mail icon as unread mail appears during an
outlook session. But the icon stopped appearing upon new downloads of
mail when starting Outlook, and I'd like to get the icon to appear
again under those circumstances.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

mail that is downloaded before outlook is fully loaded may not trigger the
alerts and rules may not work, so what you see is typical behavior.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

(E-Mail Removed)

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This concerns Outlook 2003 on an XP SP2 computer.
>
> When I start it on my office computer in the morning, it downloads new
> mail from the server, although the new mail desktop alert doesn't show
> up as they come in (why is that - I've always wondered - it shows up
> as new messages come in after my morning download).
>
> But, starting a couple days ago, the "unread mail" icon in the system
> tray doesn't show up in response to those newly-downloaded messages.
> It *does* show up throughout the day as new unread messages appear.
>
> The "show an envelope icon in the notification area" box is checked
> and has always been checked in my Outlook Advanced Email settings.
> I've also read something about "Customize Notifications" in the system
> tray area by the clock, looking for the "You have new unopened items"
> icon and setting it to "Always show" - but I have no such item in my
> notification list.
>
> Again, I get the unread mail icon as unread mail appears during an
> outlook session. But the icon stopped appearing upon new downloads of
> mail when starting Outlook, and I'd like to get the icon to appear
> again under those circumstances.

John Holmes

Diane Poremsky [MVP] "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> mail that is downloaded before outlook is fully loaded may not trigger
> the alerts and rules may not work, so what you see is typical
> behavior.

MVP, eh? PSML!!! You are just a top-poasting mad cow.

--
Your mother was a drivelling fool who worshipped teapots with other like-
minded people.