Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Disk "Dirty" Msg. And "Index's" Deletion Via Chkdsk ?

Disk "Dirty" Msg. And "Index's" Deletion Via Chkdsk ?

Robert11

Hello,

Running XP.

When I turned the PC on today, it went right into the Chkdsk mode, and
nothing I could do would change this. Message came right up saying Disk C
was "Dirty".

Never saw this before; what was it implying when it said HD C was Dirty ?

Repeated Power-Off, Power-On's, just restarted the Check Disk routine.

Anyway, I had to let it go to completion.

When it was done, it said it deleted a few "Indexes".

Seems to work fine now, so I haven't gone back to a previous Restore Point.
(think I sahould ?)

What are these Indexes that it apparently deleted; I never heard of this
term before either ?

Any thoughts as to what might have happened, or is going on, would be most
appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

ded

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hello,
>
> Running XP.
>
> When I turned the PC on today, it went right into the Chkdsk mode, and
> nothing I could do would change this. Message came right up saying Disk C
> was "Dirty".
>
> Never saw this before; what was it implying when it said HD C was Dirty ?
>
> Repeated Power-Off, Power-On's, just restarted the Check Disk routine.
>
> Anyway, I had to let it go to completion.
>
> When it was done, it said it deleted a few "Indexes".
>
> Seems to work fine now, so I haven't gone back to a previous Restore
> Point. (think I sahould ?)
>
> What are these Indexes that it apparently deleted; I never heard of this
> term before either ?
>
> Any thoughts as to what might have happened, or is going on, would be most
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Well, em, I know if a resource sector is flagged as "dirty" in XP, Chkdsk
can be used from the recovery console to recover autochk, if it can't
recover, it prompts for the XP installation disk.
Chkdsk would kick in with Win2000/NT if a "dirty bit set" prevented
autochk being read (Same thing as XP but different method/cure).
I'd guess your XP behaved as win2000(??) to recover autochk? And
it seemingly worked.
I remember something about certain poorly authored software
corrupting windows cluster service, which could cause "dirty" flagging
but that was long before XP. Did problem occur after installing software?
A disk flagged "dirty" dosen't mean it is failing, just a bit of minor
corruption which in your case Chkdsk recovered, but play safe and at
least perform a defrag and scandisk.

why?

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:52:54 -0500, Robert11 wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Running XP.
>
>When I turned the PC on today, it went right into the Chkdsk mode, and
>nothing I could do would change this. Message came right up saying Disk C
>was "Dirty".
>
>Never saw this before; what was it implying when it said HD C was Dirty ?

Then you didn't look in past posts,
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...elpdesk/topics

or lots of info

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...dsk+dirty+flag
or change the keywords
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=xp+dirty+flag

>Repeated Power-Off, Power-On's, just restarted the Check Disk routine.

It will, did you read this?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316506
Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer

>Anyway, I had to let it go to completion.
>
>When it was done, it said it deleted a few "Indexes".
>
>Seems to work fine now, so I haven't gone back to a previous Restore Point.
>(think I sahould ?)

No, it seems you don't know what SR does, again search
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...elpdesk/topics
there have been a few recent posts with links to articles and MS support
documents.

Microsoft Windows XP - Fsutil: dirty
To query the dirty bit on drive C, type:. fsutil dirty query C:. Sample
output: Volume C: is dirty. or Volume C: is not dirty. To set the dirty
bit on drive ...
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...til_dirty.mspx
- 9k - Cached - Similar pages

There is a chkdksk that can be run from the recovery console
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314058

>What are these Indexes that it apparently deleted; I never heard of this
>term before either ?

An explanation of the new /C and /I Switches that are available to use
with Chkdsk.exe

Phase 1: Checking files
Phase 2: Checking indexes
Phase 3: Checking security descriptors

>Any thoughts as to what might have happened, or is going on, would be most
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Bob

Me

ded

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:52:54 -0500, Robert11 wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>Running XP.
>>
>>When I turned the PC on today, it went right into the Chkdsk mode, and
>>nothing I could do would change this. Message came right up saying Disk C
>>was "Dirty".
>>
>>Never saw this before; what was it implying when it said HD C was Dirty ?

> Then you didn't look in past posts,
> http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...elpdesk/topics
>
> or lots of info
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...dsk+dirty+flag
> or change the keywords
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=xp+dirty+flag
>
>>Repeated Power-Off, Power-On's, just restarted the Check Disk routine.

> It will, did you read this?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316506
> Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer
>
>>Anyway, I had to let it go to completion.
>>
>>When it was done, it said it deleted a few "Indexes".
>>
>>Seems to work fine now, so I haven't gone back to a previous Restore
>>Point.
>>(think I sahould ?)

> No, it seems you don't know what SR does, again search
> http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...elpdesk/topics
> there have been a few recent posts with links to articles and MS support
> documents.
>
> Microsoft Windows XP - Fsutil: dirty
> To query the dirty bit on drive C, type:. fsutil dirty query C:. Sample
> output: Volume C: is dirty. or Volume C: is not dirty. To set the dirty
> bit on drive ...
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...til_dirty.mspx
> - 9k - Cached - Similar pages
>
> There is a chkdksk that can be run from the recovery console
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314058
>

>>What are these Indexes that it apparently deleted; I never heard of this
>>term before either ?

> An explanation of the new /C and /I Switches that are available to use
> with Chkdsk.exe
>
> Phase 1: Checking files
> Phase 2: Checking indexes
> Phase 3: Checking security descriptors
>
>>Any thoughts as to what might have happened, or is going on, would be most
>>appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Bob
>>

> Me

Thanks for that, I knew I wasn't remembering it correctly.