Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D40x Versus Canon Rebel XTi 400D?

Nikon D40x Versus Canon Rebel XTi 400D?

Sosumi

"wilson granger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:48:30 -0000, "Sosumi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>So what do you have and what did you do so far?
>>Do you even own a DSLR? If not: how do you know all these "facts"?

> LOL!
>
> As I said, if envy was money you'd be Bill Gates.
>
> LOL!!

Dumb troll..

--
"I don´t need a camera,
I have a photographic memory..."

Jürgen Exner

Hank Arden wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:16:26 GMT, "Jürgen Exner"
>> wilson granger ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
>>
>>> Some (many? most? all?) of the dSLR advocates in these newsgroups
>>> are fairly immature and inexperienced when it comes to cameras and
>>> what

>> [...]
>>
>> Thank you very much for the deep insight you are offering in your
>> very first posting ever to this NG. You surely must have a lot of
>> experience.

> Yes, isn't it a shame when even a first time poster knows more than
> you ever will. Catch up.
> Oh wait, you can't. Try buying a camera sometime for a start.

Thank you very much for the deep insight you are offering in your very first
posting ever to this NG.

OT: Does any know of a newsreader, where you can filter hit-and-run posters?
Like postings will only show up if the person has made at least x
contributions before?

jue

=?UTF-8?B?U01TIOaWr+iSguaWh+KAoiDlpI8=?=

Sosumi wrote:
he Olympus E-410 and 510 can, but the sensors are quite smaller, which you
> pay for in losing dynamic range. I brought my 510 back to the store after I
> saw the results...
> Not cheap either and the lenses are more expensive than either Nikon or
> Canon.

This is true. You really want to completely avoid the Olympus D-SLRs,
due to the sensor issues. I think Olympus is coming out with some lower
priced lenses to address the second issue.

dumbtroll@live.com

On Nov 15, 4:27 am, Chris Malcolm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Can you compose the photo only using the LCD screen on
> >> either of these cameras?

> > No, any dSLR I know of still has an actual optical view finder.
> >> My Powershot G3 can do this, and it's a liberating way to take a
> >> pic.....

> > If you prefer the hold-camera-still-at-arms-length exercise (as many people
> > apparently do) then dSLR are clearly not for you.

> I don't think they prefer holding the camera at arms length, it's just
> that they can't focus their eyes any closer than that.

Fact: I don't think i have EVER looked through
the optical viewfinder of my powershot G3 to take a picture!

It's almost unnatural to do so, when you get a much bigger
image
on the LCD.

I'm very close to throwing up my arms, and buying the 40D!
but the
screen is probably not rotatable like the G3.

Chris Savage

On 2007-11-15, Jürgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> wilson granger ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
>
>> Some (many? most? all?) of the dSLR advocates in these newsgroups are
>> fairly immature and inexperienced when it comes to cameras and what

> [...]
>
> Thank you very much for the deep insight you are offering in your
> very first posting ever to this NG. You surely must have a lot of
> experience.

I can conceive of no correlation between usenet activity and
photographic experience. Surely you could see more to criticise in its
post than that?

--
Chris Savage Kiss me. Or would you rather live in a
Gateshead, UK land where the soap won't lather?

Chris Savage

On 2007-11-15, Jürgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> OT: Does any know of a newsreader, where you can filter hit-and-run posters?
> Like postings will only show up if the person has made at least x
> contributions before?

I'm sure someone could modify slrn or other open-source reader to do
such. But you're asking in the wrong place.

--

Chris Savage wrote:
> On 2007-11-15, Jürgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> wilson granger ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
>>
>>> Some (many? most? all?) of the dSLR advocates in these newsgroups
>>> are fairly immature and inexperienced when it comes to cameras and
>>> what [...]

>> Thank you very much for the deep insight you are offering in your
>> very first posting ever to this NG. You surely must have a lot of
>> experience.

> I can conceive of no correlation between usenet activity and
> photographic experience. Surely you could see more to criticise in its
> post than that?

s/experience/credibility/

jue

Chris Savage

On 2007-11-16, Jürgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Chris Savage wrote:

>>> Thank you very much for the deep insight you are offering in your
>>> very first posting ever to this NG. You surely must have a lot of
>>> experience.

>> I can conceive of no correlation between usenet activity and
>> photographic experience. Surely you could see more to criticise in its
>> post than that?

> s/experience/credibility/

No. Still no correlation, I know many people whose photographic
experience and credibility exceeds anyone's here. They have never posted
to usenet.

--

Chris Savage wrote:
> No. Still no correlation, I know many people whose photographic
> experience and credibility exceeds anyone's here. They have never
> posted to usenet.

No doubt that's true.

However, if I've seen and read numerous sensible articles from a person for
a few years then in my book that person has much more credebility than
someone who just dropped in and makes his very first contribution a ranting
sleezy accusation.

jue

Pat

On Nov 16, 11:32 am, Chris Savage <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On 2007-11-16, Jürgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Chris Savage wrote:

> >> I can conceive of no correlation between usenet activity and
> >> photographic experience. Surely you could see more to criticise in its
> >> post than that?

> > s/experience/credibility/

> No. Still no correlation, I know many people whose photographic
> experience and credibility exceeds anyone's here. They have never posted
> to usenet.
>
> --
> Chris Savage Kiss me. Or would you rather live in a
> Gateshead, UK land where the soap won't lather?
> - Billy Bragg

There is a correlation between knowledge and activity. The people who
know quite a bit about photography answer specific questions within
their field/knowledge and will provide follow-up if needed. Then they
stay quiet until the next question comes along. They don't tend to
get involved in more general conversations or flame wars.

If some asks "How do I shoot an outside performance in a rainstorm"
they will answer that. If someone asks "what's better Nikon or Canon"
they move on to the next question.