Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > "Criticism of the C programming language ??????"

"Criticism of the C programming language ??????"

aarklon@gmail.com

Hi all,

I found an interesting article here:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critici...mming_language

well what do you guys think of this article....???
Is it constructive criticism that needs to be appreciated always...???

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I found an interesting article here:-
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critici...mming_language
>
>well what do you guys think of this article....???
>Is it constructive criticism that needs to be appreciated always...???

It will start with the standard CLC dogma that wikipedia isn't worth the
electrons it was printed with...

Charlton Wilbur

aa> Hi all, I found an interesting article here:-
aa> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critici...mming_language

aa> well what do you guys think of this article....??? Is it
aa> constructive criticism that needs to be appreciated
aa> always...???

Just about everything on that list was an intentional design choice --
either because it provided some benefit that would otherwise be lost,
because alternative approaches required too much trading off, or
because it made porting C compilers easier to other platforms.

If you find that enough of the things on that list cause you problems,
then C is not the language you should be using. Fortunately, there
are a broad variety of computer languages to choose from, and nobody
is forcing you to use C.

Charlton

--
Charlton Wilbur

asit

On Nov 14, 10:03 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I found an interesting article here:-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_C_programming_language
>
> well what do you guys think of this article....???
> Is it constructive criticism that needs to be appreciated always...???

i agree with this article. but C is good when it comes low level
programming like system programming. but u have to compromise on some
features.

Richard Heathfield

(E-Mail Removed) said:

> Hi all,
>
> I found an interesting article here:-
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critici...mming_language
>
> well what do you guys think of this article....???

See
http://groups.google.com/group/comp....76aff90c6d051e

Email: -http://www. +rjh@

Serve Lau

"Charlton Wilbur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> aa> Hi all, I found an interesting article here:-
> aa>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critici...mming_language
>
> aa> well what do you guys think of this article....??? Is it
> aa> constructive criticism that needs to be appreciated
> aa> always...???
>
> Just about everything on that list was an intentional design choice --
> either because it provided some benefit that would otherwise be lost,
> because alternative approaches required too much trading off, or
> because it made porting C compilers easier to other platforms.
>
> If you find that enough of the things on that list cause you problems,
> then C is not the language you should be using. Fortunately, there
> are a broad variety of computer languages to choose from, and nobody
> is forcing you to use C.

Most points are just personal opinions. There could be a wiki too, "good
aspects of the C language" and it could say

syntax
no GC
many absent features
has pointers
economy of expression

etc.

Paul Hsieh

On Nov 14, 9:03 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I found an interesting article here:-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_C_programming_language
>
> well what do you guys think of this article....???

This article barely touches upon the poorly design library, esp. the
lack of re-entrancy and no-aliasing issue, or the conflict created
with C++ with the complex numbers introduced in C99. There is no
mention of the fact that this supposedly "portable" language is most
often used in non-portable custom implementations. For example, C is
heavily used for dynamically loaded device drivers -- but the dynamic

> Is it constructive criticism that needs to be appreciated always...???

Well clearly as there is no further forward development of the C
language, this is mostly just a lot of hot air. But it can serve as a
useful platform for other language designers to know what *NOT* to do.

--
Paul Hsieh
http://bstring.sf.net/

jacob navia

Paul Hsieh wrote:
> On Nov 14, 9:03 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I found an interesting article here:-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_C_programming_language
>>
>> well what do you guys think of this article....???

> This article barely touches upon the poorly design library, esp. the
> lack of re-entrancy and no-aliasing issue, or the conflict created
> with C++ with the complex numbers introduced in C99. There is no
> mention of the fact that this supposedly "portable" language is most
> often used in non-portable custom implementations. For example, C is
> heavily used for dynamically loaded device drivers -- but the dynamic
>
>> Is it constructive criticism that needs to be appreciated always...???

> Well clearly as there is no further forward development of the C
> language, this is mostly just a lot of hot air. But it can serve as a
> useful platform for other language designers to know what *NOT* to do.

Not everybody agrees that C is dead and there is no further development.

You are in good company however.

In this group, the official position of the "regulars" is precisely
that:

no new development, back to C 1990, etc.

I have tried (in this group and in comp.std.c) to argue against
that position. I can't say that I have succeeded.

--
jacob navia
jacob at jacob point remcomp point fr

jacob navia

Charlton Wilbur wrote:
> Just about everything on that list was an intentional design choice --
> either because it provided some benefit that would otherwise be lost,
> because alternative approaches required too much trading off, or
> because it made porting C compilers easier to other platforms.
>
> If you find that enough of the things on that list cause you problems,
> then C is not the language you should be using. Fortunately, there
> are a broad variety of computer languages to choose from, and nobody
> is forcing you to use C.
>
> Charlton

This attitude is the basic error: The obvious shortcommings are always
answered with "go away"... "Use another language", etc.

And (obviously too) not even the shadow of an argumentation.

--
jacob navia
jacob at jacob point remcomp point fr
logiciels/informatique
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

pete

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I found an interesting article here:-
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critici...mming_language
>
> well what do you guys think of this article....???
> Is it constructive criticism that needs to be appreciated always...???

No.

The article is not criticism at all.

The article is about criticism.

The article is an apology(in the classic sense),
concerning some common criticisms of the language.

--
pete