Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > laptop won't connect wirelessly

laptop won't connect wirelessly

chavrik

I have a Netgear mr814v2 802.11b wireless router hooked up to my main
computer running Vista. My laptop has a Broadcom 802.11b/g card. When
I click to connect to my home network I get a message.. "Waiting for
network" for about 30 seconds and then it disappears but doesn't
connect. I get the same result whether I set up the router as an
unsecured network or use a WEP key.If I use a LAN cable everything
works fine, also, I have no problems connecting to WIFI networks
outside the house. I'd really appreciate your help. thanks

Barb Bowman

do you have the latest firmware for the Netgear router? WEP is not
safe. It can be broken is less time than it takes to read this
message thread. You REALLY should consider replacing this router
with at least an 802.11g model that supports WPA2. There are several
on the market that have been listed as compatible with Vista on the
MS website that you can find for $40 or less.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Assuming that your are connected correctly.
Do you see your Router's SSID as a viable selection in the Laptop; Wireless
utility?
If you do and it does not work when security is Off, you might need a new
Router.
Otherwise check carefully all the settings.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"chavrik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I have a Netgear mr814v2 802.11b wireless router hooked up to my main
> computer running Vista. My laptop has a Broadcom 802.11b/g card. When
> I click to connect to my home network I get a message.. "Waiting for
> network" for about 30 seconds and then it disappears but doesn't
> connect. I get the same result whether I set up the router as an
> unsecured network or use a WEP key.If I use a LAN cable everything
> works fine, also, I have no problems connecting to WIFI networks
> outside the house. I'd really appreciate your help. thanks

smlunatick

On Nov 14, 11:24 am, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
> Assuming that your are connected correctly.
> Do you see your Router's SSID as a viable selection in the Laptop; Wireless
> utility?
> If you do and it does not work when security is Off, you might need a new
> Router.
> Otherwise check carefully all the settings.
> My Wireless does not work -http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
> Wireless Basic Configuration -http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "chavrik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>

> >I have a Netgear mr814v2 802.11b wireless router hooked up to my main
> > computer running Vista. My laptop has a Broadcom 802.11b/g card. When
> > I click to connect to my home network I get a message.. "Waiting for
> > network" for about 30 seconds and then it disappears but doesn't
> > connect. I get the same result whether I set up the router as an
> > unsecured network or use a WEP key.If I use a LAN cable everything
> > works fine, also, I have no problems connecting to WIFI networks
> > outside the house. I'd really appreciate your help. thanks- Hide quoted text -

First thing to do, usually, is to check / update the drivers for the
Broadcom. Make sure that you are using the latest ones and that it is
not set to connect at 802.11g signals only.

Other than what has been metioned before, 802.11B wireless seems to
becoming an "old" network signal. Most routers are now 802.11g or
802.11n based, which still offer 802.11b compatibility. You might
want to consdier replacing this old router.