Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Widescreen display and Firefox

Widescreen display and Firefox

History Fan

I recently purchased a 20" widescreen LCD monitor. The resolution I am
using is 1680x1050. This monitor is plugged into a desktop computer running
Windows XP SP2. DSL connection. Firefox 2.0.0.9 is my default web browser.

I have noticed that at several websites the content appears extremely
off-center. http://news.bbc.co.uk/ is a good example. Instead of being
centered, all the content is to the left. The remaining 60% of the screen
is blank.

Is there a setting with Firefox I can tweak to correct this, or is this
an issue with certain webpage's coding that is beyond Firefox's control?

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

History Fan wrote:
> I recently purchased a 20" widescreen LCD monitor. The resolution I am
> using is 1680x1050. This monitor is plugged into a desktop computer running
> Windows XP SP2. DSL connection. Firefox 2.0.0.9 is my default web browser.
>
> I have noticed that at several websites the content appears extremely
> off-center. http://news.bbc.co.uk/ is a good example. Instead of being
> centered, all the content is to the left. The remaining 60% of the screen
> is blank.
>
> Is there a setting with Firefox I can tweak to correct this, or is this
> an issue with certain webpage's coding that is beyond Firefox's control?

try adjusting the screen monitor. There should be a setting
for screen resulution, contrass, etc. There should be
something there to move everything to the left or right, and
another for top and bottom.

disregarded!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Frank

History Fan wrote:
> I recently purchased a 20" widescreen LCD monitor. The resolution I am
> using is 1680x1050. This monitor is plugged into a desktop computer running
> Windows XP SP2. DSL connection. Firefox 2.0.0.9 is my default web browser.
>
> I have noticed that at several websites the content appears extremely
> off-center. http://news.bbc.co.uk/ is a good example. Instead of being
> centered, all the content is to the left. The remaining 60% of the screen
> is blank.
>
> Is there a setting with Firefox I can tweak to correct this, or is this
> an issue with certain webpage's coding that is beyond Firefox's control?

Does not bother me but you can size the Firefox with your mouse. Another
site may take more room and you will need to size to see more.

Rom

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:53:32 -0500, History Fan wrote:

> I recently purchased a 20" widescreen LCD monitor. The resolution I am
> using is 1680x1050. This monitor is plugged into a desktop computer running
> Windows XP SP2. DSL connection. Firefox 2.0.0.9 is my default web browser.
>
> I have noticed that at several websites the content appears extremely
> off-center. http://news.bbc.co.uk/ is a good example. Instead of being
> centered, all the content is to the left. The remaining 60% of the screen
> is blank.
>
> Is there a setting with Firefox I can tweak to correct this, or is this
> an issue with certain webpage's coding that is beyond Firefox's control?

It's the site and their Graphics version. Not good, IMO. They also
have a "Low graphics" link at the top for a text-only version.

Some sites/pages may go the other way with text spanning the width,
which I find hard to read without resizing the width of the window.

What you can do is size the Firefox window to a width suitable for
most sites and your usage, rather than full screen width or maximised.
Some people have shortcuts or a sidebar etc. on the desktop, and use
full screen sometimes as/when required. With a widescreen display, the
sidebar in Firefox is more useful and can leave (bookmarks) open. With
the sidebar open, sites like the bbc are no longer on the far right of
the screen and there's less white space.

--
Rom

Rom

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:59:56 +1100, Rom wrote:

[...]
> the sidebar open, sites like the bbc are no longer on the far right of
> the screen and there's less white space.

Should be far *left* of the screen.

--
Rom

History Fan

"Rom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:13x29xkk8to1v$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:53:32 -0500, History Fan wrote:
>
>> I recently purchased a 20" widescreen LCD monitor. The resolution I
>> am
>> using is 1680x1050. This monitor is plugged into a desktop computer
>> running
>> Windows XP SP2. DSL connection. Firefox 2.0.0.9 is my default web
>> browser.
>>
>> I have noticed that at several websites the content appears extremely
>> off-center. http://news.bbc.co.uk/ is a good example. Instead of being
>> centered, all the content is to the left. The remaining 60% of the
>> screen
>> is blank.
>>
>> Is there a setting with Firefox I can tweak to correct this, or is
>> this
>> an issue with certain webpage's coding that is beyond Firefox's control?

> It's the site and their Graphics version. Not good, IMO. They also
> have a "Low graphics" link at the top for a text-only version.
>
> Some sites/pages may go the other way with text spanning the width,
> which I find hard to read without resizing the width of the window.
>
> What you can do is size the Firefox window to a width suitable for
> most sites and your usage, rather than full screen width or maximised.
> Some people have shortcuts or a sidebar etc. on the desktop, and use
> full screen sometimes as/when required. With a widescreen display, the
> sidebar in Firefox is more useful and can leave (bookmarks) open. With
> the sidebar open, sites like the bbc are no longer on the far right of
> the screen and there's less white space.
>

> --
> Rom

Opening the Bookmarks window seems to work. Never thought of that.

I also use the Yahoo Widgets, and you can tweak them to sit above all
other windows. However, doing that does not cause the Firefox or IE 7
window to be resized.

History Fan

> Some sites/pages may go the other way with text spanning the width,
> which I find hard to read without resizing the width of the window.

That too is a nuisance with a widescreen display and some
websites....as I am finding out.

Justin

History Fan wrote on [Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:53:32 -0500]:
> I recently purchased a 20" widescreen LCD monitor. The resolution I am
> using is 1680x1050. This monitor is plugged into a desktop computer running
> Windows XP SP2. DSL connection. Firefox 2.0.0.9 is my default web browser.
>
> I have noticed that at several websites the content appears extremely
> off-center. http://news.bbc.co.uk/ is a good example. Instead of being
> centered, all the content is to the left. The remaining 60% of the screen
> is blank.
>
> Is there a setting with Firefox I can tweak to correct this, or is this
> an issue with certain webpage's coding that is beyond Firefox's control?

It's most often an artifact of the page design.

It's simple to fix, don't maxmimise firefox, and only have about 2/3 of
the screen wide. Then centre firefox.

Lord Turkey Cough

"History Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d566a$473a2aee$483111ec$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently purchased a 20" widescreen LCD monitor. The resolution I am
> using is 1680x1050. This monitor is plugged into a desktop computer
> running Windows XP SP2. DSL connection. Firefox 2.0.0.9 is my default
> web browser.
>
> I have noticed that at several websites the content appears extremely
> off-center. http://news.bbc.co.uk/ is a good example. Instead of being
> centered, all the content is to the left. The remaining 60% of the screen
> is blank.
>
> Is there a setting with Firefox I can tweak to correct this, or is
> this an issue with certain webpage's coding that is beyond Firefox's
> control?

It's because widescreen is crap.
It has no real merits.
It is drived from cinemas which have relatively low ceilings, hence
a 'big picture' has to be wide.
I think it is a scandelous that it is taking over from a more sensibly
shaped 4:3
screen.
Generally we don't like wide, it hard to read wide text as you lose
which line you are on, and you brian is not pre-loaded
with what will be on the next line.
This is easy to read because more of the
text falls into your eyes clearest region
of vision. This is why newspapers divide
text into narrow columns, you never see a newspaper spead a line across the
whole length of the page like this one because it is
a lot harder to read. When your eye scans back from the end of the line it
finds it hard to locate the next line because of the distance
involved, not too difficult with these lines because there are only a few of
them and they are not very long, they could be almost twice as long as this
on a widescreen.
Also you have by now forgotten what was at the start of the previous line
which you can use as an aid to locate the next line.

Lord Turkey Cough

"History Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d566a$473a2aee$483111ec$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently purchased a 20" widescreen LCD monitor. The resolution I am
> using is 1680x1050. This monitor is plugged into a desktop computer
> running Windows XP SP2. DSL connection. Firefox 2.0.0.9 is my default
> web browser.
>
> I have noticed that at several websites the content appears extremely
> off-center. http://news.bbc.co.uk/ is a good example. Instead of being
> centered, all the content is to the left. The remaining 60% of the screen
> is blank.
>
> Is there a setting with Firefox I can tweak to correct this, or is
> this an issue with certain webpage's coding that is beyond Firefox's
> control?

Just resize the window to the BBC window width, then all new windows
will use that size.