Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wireless card or USB card

Wireless card or USB card

bdeditch

Wife has a Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop that was purchased in Nov. 2005.
I would like to go wireless for her. I am sure it has the slot for the
card or can a person use the newer USB hook ups for wireless
connection?

richard

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 22:35:05 -0000, bdeditch wrote:

> Wife has a Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop that was purchased in Nov. 2005.
> I would like to go wireless for her. I am sure it has the slot for the
> card or can a person use the newer USB hook ups for wireless
> connection?

usb wireless is fine. I just bought a new one for mine and it works just
great. I also have a card but it seems that the usb antenna is a bit more
flexible for getting signals with. It's easier to move around than the
laptop. Besides, I can easily swap it between a laptop and a desktop with
ease.

Joseph Wheeler

"bdeditch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Wife has a Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop that was purchased in Nov. 2005.
> I would like to go wireless for her. I am sure it has the slot for the
> card or can a person use the newer USB hook ups for wireless
> connection?

That little wireless adaptor is fragile and sticks way out, is easily
knocked and damaged or can damage the USB slot in your MB. Some USB slots
are on the side, others are in the back-- for me, the ones in the back are
worse because you can't see them and forget they're there.

olfart

"Joseph Wheeler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "bdeditch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> Wife has a Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop that was purchased in Nov. 2005.
>> I would like to go wireless for her. I am sure it has the slot for the
>> card or can a person use the newer USB hook ups for wireless
>> connection?
>>

> That little wireless adaptor is fragile and sticks way out, is easily
> knocked and damaged or can damage the USB slot in your MB. Some USB
> slots are on the side, others are in the back-- for me, the ones in the
> back are worse because you can't see them and forget they're there.

That's why you put the USB adapter on the end on a cable

Hawkeye65

"olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Joseph Wheeler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> "bdeditch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>>> Wife has a Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop that was purchased in Nov. 2005.
>>> I would like to go wireless for her. I am sure it has the slot for the
>>> card or can a person use the newer USB hook ups for wireless
>>> connection?
>>>

>> That little wireless adaptor is fragile and sticks way out, is easily
>> knocked and damaged or can damage the USB slot in your MB. Some USB
>> slots are on the side, others are in the back-- for me, the ones in the
>> back are worse because you can't see them and forget they're there.

> That's why you put the USB adapter on the end on a cable

There are 2 types of USB wi-fi hookups. One is an external antennae that you
can place away from the puter (usually about 6-8"), and the other one is
similar to a USB thumbdrive. That one is the one I would think would be more
prone to getting broken, or bent, since you might not be able to see it too
well and forget it is attached.

M2CW,
Hawkeye65

Desk Rabbit

Hawkeye65 wrote:
> "olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Joseph Wheeler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> "bdeditch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>>>>
>>> That little wireless adaptor is fragile and sticks way out, is easily
>>> knocked and damaged or can damage the USB slot in your MB. Some USB
>>> slots are on the side, others are in the back-- for me, the ones in
>>> the back are worse because you can't see them and forget they're there.

>> That's why you put the USB adapter on the end on a cable
>>

> There are 2 types of USB wi-fi hookups. One is an external antennae that
> you can place away from the puter (usually about 6-8"), and the other
> one is similar to a USB thumbdrive. That one is the one I would think
> would be more prone to getting broken, or bent, since you might not be
> able to see it too well and forget it is attached.

That's why you put the USB adapter on the end of a USB cable

Joseph Wheeler

"olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Joseph Wheeler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> "bdeditch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>>> Wife has a Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop that was purchased in Nov. 2005.
>>> I would like to go wireless for her. I am sure it has the slot for the
>>> card or can a person use the newer USB hook ups for wireless
>>> connection?
>>>

>> That little wireless adaptor is fragile and sticks way out, is easily
>> knocked and damaged or can damage the USB slot in your MB. Some USB
>> slots are on the side, others are in the back-- for me, the ones in the
>> back are worse because you can't see them and forget they're there.

> That's why you put the USB adapter on the end on a cable

.....so it can swing/dangle and catch on something-- possibly yanking the
laptop out of your hand sending it crashing to the floor...

Get a PCMCIA card fer Pete's sakes......

Brian Cryer

"bdeditch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Wife has a Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop that was purchased in Nov. 2005.
> I would like to go wireless for her. I am sure it has the slot for the
> card or can a person use the newer USB hook ups for wireless
> connection?

IF the laptop can take an internal wireless card then that will be the most
convenient for you. USB (or PCMCIA) wireless card may be cheaper and will
work just as well, but are more likely to get knocked. Frankly, depending on
how you work, they can be a nusience. I have both on different laptops (work
and home) and I find internal much more convenient.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

M.L.

> Wife has a Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop that was purchased in Nov. 2005.
> I would like to go wireless for her. I am sure it has the slot for the
> card or can a person use the newer USB hook ups for wireless
> connection?

According to the PCmag review below, 802.11g wireless is built-in to
that laptop.