Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Infragistics vs. DevExpress

Infragistics vs. DevExpress

eric

I'm hoping to get a response from someone who has actively used both
products (Web Based). I have been a very long time user of DevExpress
components both WinForm and ASP.Net and, overall, they're OK. With the
change in DevExp licensing scheme, I'm no longer entitled to upgrade pricing
for their web-based components and having run into some problems with their
latest trial product (Grid & Editor Controls), so I've decided to take a
look and see what else is available. As well, I've never been too happy with
support at DevExp (way too slow). Anyway, I looked at Infragistcs site and
ran their online demos for their grid. I can't say I'm blown away but they
seem ok. One thing I didn't see was the cabability for column grouping
(draging a column to the top and the grid groups by that field value). Is
this supported? The components I'm most interested in are DataGrids,
Editors (date,numeric, dropdowns etc), control panels. Areas of concern I
have are, ease of use, SUPPORT, timely updates. If anyone can speak to
these on the Infragistics side, I would appreciate it. As I said, it would
be nice to hear from someone who has used both. As well are there any other
companies, I've heard something about SyncFusion? but I have not
investigated them at all.

TIA

sloan

I can't help you directly.

But take a look here as well.

http://www.telerik.com/

They're licensing model is alot better I think.

"eric" <7ak@!_df.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm hoping to get a response from someone who has actively used both
> products (Web Based). I have been a very long time user of DevExpress
> components both WinForm and ASP.Net and, overall, they're OK. With the
> change in DevExp licensing scheme, I'm no longer entitled to upgrade
> pricing for their web-based components and having run into some problems
> with their latest trial product (Grid & Editor Controls), so I've decided
> to take a look and see what else is available. As well, I've never been
> too happy with support at DevExp (way too slow). Anyway, I looked at
> Infragistcs site and ran their online demos for their grid. I can't say
> I'm blown away but they seem ok. One thing I didn't see was the
> cabability for column grouping (draging a column to the top and the grid
> groups by that field value). Is this supported? The components I'm most
> interested in are DataGrids, Editors (date,numeric, dropdowns etc),
> control panels. Areas of concern I have are, ease of use, SUPPORT, timely
> updates. If anyone can speak to these on the Infragistics side, I would
> appreciate it. As I said, it would be nice to hear from someone who has
> used both. As well are there any other companies, I've heard something
> about SyncFusion? but I have not investigated them at all.
>
> TIA

Benson Wong

I second this. I am using Telerik Report and ASP.NET component. Their

Benson.

"sloan" <(E-Mail Removed)> ׫]„:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I can't help you directly.
>
> But take a look here as well.
>
> http://www.telerik.com/
>
> They're licensing model is alot better I think.
>

> "eric" <7ak@!_df.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm hoping to get a response from someone who has actively used both
>> products (Web Based). I have been a very long time user of DevExpress
>> components both WinForm and ASP.Net and, overall, they're OK. With the
>> change in DevExp licensing scheme, I'm no longer entitled to upgrade
>> pricing for their web-based components and having run into some problems
>> with their latest trial product (Grid & Editor Controls), so I've decided
>> to take a look and see what else is available. As well, I've never been
>> too happy with support at DevExp (way too slow). Anyway, I looked at
>> Infragistcs site and ran their online demos for their grid. I can't say
>> I'm blown away but they seem ok. One thing I didn't see was the
>> cabability for column grouping (draging a column to the top and the grid
>> groups by that field value). Is this supported? The components I'm most
>> interested in are DataGrids, Editors (date,numeric, dropdowns etc),
>> control panels. Areas of concern I have are, ease of use, SUPPORT,
>> timely updates. If anyone can speak to these on the Infragistics side, I
>> would appreciate it. As I said, it would be nice to hear from someone
>> who has used both. As well are there any other companies, I've heard
>> something about SyncFusion? but I have not investigated them at all.
>>
>> TIA

williamsonhouse@gmail.com

I also invite you to check out our FarPoint Spread for Web Forms
component, our asp.net spreadsheet. It does all what you're used to in
high-end grids, plus gives you full spreadsheet capabilities
(including importing/exporting native Excel files without needing
Excel). Here's the link for the live product tour -
http://www.farpointspread.com/netpro...r/default.aspx
(here's the grouping sample - http://www.farpointspread.com/netpro.../grouping.aspx
link).

As for support, we are extremely responsive. Here's the link for the
forums so you can check out our response time firsthand -
http://www.clubfarpoint.com/Forums/forums/default.aspx. And here's the
link for the current active questions - http://www.clubfarpoint.com/Forums/f...icsActive.aspx.
If you have a question, we'll get you the answer quickly.

While we don't offer suites, we focus solely on providing best-of-
breed products. And we've been around for 15 years now with numerous
awards under our belt with nearly every Fortune 500 company using our
spreadsheet. Just giving you another option to check out!

- Donald

FarPoint Technologies
www.FarPointSpread.com

Infragistics.Tony@gmail.com

On Nov 13, 2:50 pm, "eric" <7ak@!_df.com> wrote:
> I'm hoping to get a response from someone who has actively used both
> products (Web Based). I have been a very long time user of DevExpress
> components both WinForm and ASP.Net and, overall, they're OK. With the
> change in DevExp licensing scheme, I'm no longer entitled to upgrade pricing
> for their web-based components and having run into some problems with their
> latest trial product (Grid & Editor Controls), so I've decided to take a
> look and see what else is available. As well, I've never been too happy with
> support at DevExp (way too slow). Anyway, I looked at Infragistcs site and
> ran their online demos for their grid. I can't say I'm blown away but they
> seem ok. One thing I didn't see was the cabability for column grouping
> (draging a column to the top and the grid groups by that field value). Is
> this supported? The components I'm most interested in are DataGrids,
> Editors (date,numeric, dropdowns etc), control panels. Areas of concern I
> have are, ease of use, SUPPORT, timely updates. If anyone can speak to
> these on theInfragisticsside, I would appreciate it. As I said, it would
> be nice to hear from someone who has used both. As well are there any other
> companies, I've heard something about SyncFusion? but I have not
> investigated them at all.
>
> TIA

Hi Eric,
I'm not sure if you ever found your answer - the Infragistics grid can
indeed do grouping. It's called "OutlookGropuBy" in the WebGrid, and
can be turned on through the ViewType property. As per your other
questions, support is available 24 hrs/day 5 days a week, with
priority options availalbe which give you chat and phone support as
well. Licensing is per developer, and pricing is available on our
site at http://www.infragistics.com.

If you have time, I'd like to hear more about your experience with the
online samples. The WebGrid is probably the most feature rich grid
out there, so if you weren't blown away, it sounds like the samples
aren't doing a good job of showing everything the grid can do. In
particular I'm intersted in which samples you looked at, and what you
may have been looking for that you didn't see.

Thanks,
-Tony Lombardo
Infragistics, Inc.

Scott Roberts

Sorry for replying to Tony's post, but it's the only one I see in this
thread.

I haven't tried Infragistics or DevExpress, so I can't give you a
comparison, but you should also check out the Telerik controls
(www.telerik.com). Like the others, they are "okay". I've sub-classed pretty
much every control we use in order to work around some issue, but overall
the support is pretty good and they do help you work around problems pretty
fast.

And to be fair, when I say "problems" it's really just that things don't
work the way *I* want them to. It's not like the controls are badly broken
or anything.