Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Hiding emailaddress from the HTML source code

Reply
Thread Tools

Hiding emailaddress from the HTML source code

 
 
Harry Bellafonte
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-13-2007
Hi

I am creating a company website. On almost each page there is an
emailadres with the mailto: in the a href tag. My company want this
adres not to be visible through the html source code ( so that bots
cannot read the emailaddress from the source code from the internet).

What is the simplest way to do this? Do I have to create javascript
function that is triggered from the a href tag, and the javascript
function opens an email with the adres in it?

Regards

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jukka K. Korpela
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-13-2007
Scripsit Harry Bellafonte:

> I am creating a company website. On almost each page there is an
> emailadres with the mailto: in the a href tag.


That's questionable. What will they do when the addresses change? It might
not be a problem if they have content management that lets them change an
address in one place only and have this reflected everywhere on the site,
via some authoring, preprocessing, or dynamic generation software.

> My company want this
> adres not to be visible through the html source code ( so that bots
> cannot read the emailaddress from the source code from the internet).


That's clueless, but if that's what they want, they can remove their
addresses, just as they can remove their phone numbers from catalogues to
prevent prank calls, their postal addresses from everywhere to prevent junk
mail, etc.

> What is the simplest way to do this?


Remove the web site. (You asked for the _simplest_ way, didn't you?)

> Do I have to create javascript
> function that is triggered from the a href tag, and the javascript
> function opens an email with the adres in it?


And wait for spammers to use tools that interpret JavaScript?

Just tell them to make up their mind. Either use the Internet, or stay away
from it. In the former case, stay tuned to getting spam. Deal with it.
There's a lot of software to filter out spam. Just preventing some address
harvesting, at the cost of aggravating your customers and making your site
crappy, wouldn't stop them from getting spam.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Harry Bellafonte
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-13-2007
On 13 nov, 10:49, "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Scripsit Harry Bellafonte:
>
> > I am creating a company website. On almost each page there is an
> > emailadres with the mailto: in the a href tag.

>
> That's questionable. What will they do when the addresses change? It might
> not be a problem if they have content management that lets them change an
> address in one place only and have this reflected everywhere on the site,
> via some authoring, preprocessing, or dynamic generation software.
>
> > My company want this
> > adres not to be visible through the html source code ( so that bots
> > cannot read the emailaddress from the source code from the internet).

>
> That's clueless, but if that's what they want, they can remove their
> addresses, just as they can remove their phone numbers from catalogues to
> prevent prank calls, their postal addresses from everywhere to prevent junk
> mail, etc.
>
> > What is the simplest way to do this?

>
> Remove the web site. (You asked for the _simplest_ way, didn't you?)
>
> > Do I have to create javascript
> > function that is triggered from the a href tag, and the javascript
> > function opens an email with the adres in it?

>
> And wait for spammers to use tools that interpret JavaScript?
>
> Just tell them to make up their mind. Either use the Internet, or stay away
> from it. In the former case, stay tuned to getting spam. Deal with it.
> There's a lot of software to filter out spam. Just preventing some address
> harvesting, at the cost of aggravating your customers and making your site
> crappy, wouldn't stop them from getting spam.
>
> --
> Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/


Hi Jukka

I understand your reaction. Each page has different email addresses on
it. This is what the company wants. I cannot tell them to remove the
addresses just because it is useless to prevent it from being used by
spammers. I need a good solution ( even if it is not 100% spamsafe)
not to show the email address in the source code but still visible via
the webpage.

Maybe that someone else can help me.

Regards

 
Reply With Quote
 
Knut Krueger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-13-2007
Harry Bellafonte schrieb:
ybe that someone else can help me.

I tried a lot of hint from the internet. Nothing of them with "click and
write" helped for a long time, except making a picture with the e-mail
address but that's not "click and write" - the user is not able to
click onto the e-mail address to write one.

Regards Knut
 
Reply With Quote
 
andrew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-13-2007
On 2007-11-13, Harry Bellafonte <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]

> I understand your reaction. Each page has different email addresses on
> it. This is what the company wants. I cannot tell them to remove the
> addresses just because it is useless to prevent it from being used by
> spammers. I need a good solution ( even if it is not 100% spamsafe)
> not to show the email address in the source code but still visible via
> the webpage.


I would not go so far as to describe it as a _good_ solution but some
have tried:

http://www.addressmunger.com/

There is an interesting discussion at:

http://nikitathespider.com/articles/...eklamTack.html

I have personally used numeric character references, it is ugly and
goes against many sound principles but appears to be an effective
barrier against _most_ spam.

Andrew

--
Now I can praise him, now that I can stand by to mourn
and speak before this web that killed my father; yet
I grieve for the thing done, the death, and all our race.
I have won; but my victory is soiled, and has no pride.
 
Reply With Quote
 
rf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-13-2007
"Harry Bellafonte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi
>
> I am creating a company website. On almost each page there is an
> emailadres with the mailto: in the a href tag. My company want this
> adres not to be visible through the html source code ( so that bots
> cannot read the emailaddress from the source code from the internet).
>
> What is the simplest way to do this?


Did you ever think to try googling? "obfuscate email address" will do.

Couple of million hits.

--
Richard.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Toby A Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-13-2007
Harry Bellafonte wrote:

> What is the simplest way to do this? Do I have to create javascript
> function that is triggered from the a href tag, and the javascript
> function opens an email with the adres in it?


http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/email-hide

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[Geek of HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python/Apache/Linux]
[OS: Linux 2.6.12-12mdksmp, up 6 days, 22:54.]

TrivialEncoder/0.2
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/0...ivial-encoder/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-13-2007
Toby A Inkster wrote:

Wow! Where have you been hiding? I guess reports of your death were
greatly exaggerated...


--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Usenet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-13-2007
> > > I am creating a company website. On almost each page there is an
> > > emailadres with the mailto: in the a href tag.


What I've done is create a contact form, not give out an email address.
The contact form can be used to contact several different mailboxes via a
dropdown, but the dropdown doesn't have a full email address in it, just a name
(any kind of reference), which the form looks up in a database and then emails
to the corresponding address.

Hope it helps
Mark

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bone Ur
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-13-2007
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:49:30
GMT Jukka K. Korpela scribed:

>> My company want this
>> adres not to be visible through the html source code ( so that bots
>> cannot read the emailaddress from the source code from the internet).


>> What is the simplest way to do this?


> Remove the web site. (You asked for the _simplest_ way, didn't you?)


Sure... _You_ can give an inane answer, but when _I_ say something like
"Verdana only comes in white," I'm an international despot! Oh, the
discriminatory iniquities of the Old Worlder!

>> Do I have to create javascript
>> function that is triggered from the a href tag, and the javascript
>> function opens an email with the adres in it?

>
> And wait for spammers to use tools that interpret JavaScript?
>
> Just tell them to make up their mind. Either use the Internet, or stay
> away from it. In the former case, stay tuned to getting spam. Deal
> with it. There's a lot of software to filter out spam. Just preventing
> some address harvesting, at the cost of aggravating your customers and
> making your site crappy, wouldn't stop them from getting spam.


Pragmatic but undiplomatic. Are you on the government tit?

--
Bone Ur
Cavemen have formidable pheromones.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to prevent creating user and showing ''Mailbox unavailable' in case of wrong emailaddress? Luc ASP .Net 0 03-03-2010 01:56 PM
Script for Hiding/Un-Hiding Text On Click Ste Javascript 41 08-01-2007 02:35 PM
RFC2822::EmailAddress Josselin Ruby 4 01-17-2007 03:36 PM
Get FirstName, LastName and EmailAddress from URL Mark 123 Javascript 5 07-04-2005 07:38 AM
emailaddress on news groups mr_vocab Computer Information 3 04-10-2004 11:32 PM



Advertisments